Renewable Energy Internship in Peru

Are you interested in renewable energy innovations or have previous knowledge and experience in green energy? Come and work with EcoSwell in Lobitos in northern Peru to help us design and implement sustainable environmental technology and improve the livelihoods of the local community!

This project began in 2016 when EcoSwell installed a photovoltaic energy system at the Fishermen's Association's community hall. This has not only provided the fishermen's neighbourhood with free, clean and accessible energy, but it has also generated savings by reducing operating costs.

We are currently expanding the project to provide the community with other sources of renewable energy such as:
- Solar powered aeroponics for fruit and vegetable farming in Lobitos.
- Wind energy powered water provision for Lobitos’ medical post.
- Solar distillers for access to desalinated seawater.

• Get involved in actual installation work of renewable technology.
  • Have a direct, long lasting and sustainable impact on a community suffering from power cuts.
  • Develop project planning and management skills.

Jessa

A valuable, fun, and eye-opening first internship!

My experience at EcoSwell was truly incredible. I learned so much, met some amazing people, and was able to experience a completely new and unfamiliar place and culture. The sense of community in the organization was strong; we all lived in the same EcoHouse so everyone was always working together and having interesting and eye-opening conversations. The Directors were almost always available to discuss any questions about projects or tell stories about EcoSwell's past or teach us about the community and culture of Lobitos and Peru in general. I never felt unsafe; the Lobitos community is extremely friendly and the Directors know many people in the community that I got to meet and interact with. I led my own project to build a solar still, and learned a lot about how to effectively lead a hands-on project, create realistic goals and expectations, and crowdfund! Interning for EcoSwell is truly an immersive experience; I would recommend it to anyone who is adventurous, wants to become more mindful of their environmental footprint, and work with an incredible, lively, and hard-working team to help the community of Lobitos become more eco-conscious while bettering their quality of life.

EcoSwell is a young NGO that's still working on figuring out their structure and system. As they continue to grow and recieve volunteers and interns from around the world their ambitious projects will continue to grow and the system will become smoother. However because EcoSwell is still small, volunteers have direct access to the cofounders who are very open to any ideas and constructive feedback to improve the EcoExperience!
Alejandro

This Internship is the Full Package

This experience was a career-defining and made me rethink my lifestyle and my values. I don't use those words lightly but EcoSwell has definitely won them. I enjoyed living at the EcoHouse for 3 months and have many good things to say about the organization. Professionally, they gave me an amazing opportunity to develop a wind turbine project. Through it I gained enormous amount of experience as an engineer and I still wow many employers with my story. Personally, I learned how to live a sustainable life in a health and environmental perspective. The weekly planting day, the many ingenious way they implement sustainability at the house and the team's enthusiasm about sustainability made me fell in love with sustainability. Lobitos is a wonderful place also to explore various interests. Surfing is big there but the unique environment lends itself also to hikes, chill gatherings outdoors and exploring the interesting history and culture of the place.

The team lacks technical expertise that could help with the engineering projects. So volunteers that are working on them will need to learn mostly through trial and error or ask external help.
Lobitos, Peru
SETH

My time at EcoSwell was life changing

I spent three weeks in Lobitos with the EcoSwell team. Upon my arrival, the first thing I noticed was how quickly the new arrivals were assimilated into the EcoSwell life and routine. Within a few days of living and working with the directors and the other volunteers it felt like I had been there for months. Overall, my time at the EcoSwell house was life changing. I learned more about sustainability than I ever did in a classroom in college. I had been working in Washington DC for a year prior to my time in Lobitos and the three weeks I spent there were exactly what I needed to reinvigorate my passion for living sustainably and doing my part to ensure the future of this planet. Lobitos is a magical place and the work EcoSwell is doing will help to ensure a bright future for Lobitos and many other places in years to come. I give my highest recommendation for this program for anyone out there who is interested in NGOs and how they operate as well as anyone looking to make a positive impact on this planet we call home.

This NGO is still in its infancy by some measures and I think as it grows and the scope of the projects increases, it will become even more fulfilling.

About EcoSwell

EcoSwell is a surfing inspired non-profit NGO based in the north of Peru. We believe that people and nature can thrive in unison, so we work towards the conservation of local ecosystems, natural resources and the socio-economic well being of poor...