Internship in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, PERU!

Internship in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, PERU!

Now accepting Summer 2018 applications!

Linguistic Horizons offers customized internships for a wide variety of majors in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru! Through your experience you'll improve your Spanish, gain valuable international experience in your field and make an impact on the lives of the local community.

You'll live among natural beauty in the heart of the Sacred Valley between Cusco and Machu Picchu! Gain the skills you need to enhance your resume in as little as 2 weeks or up to 6 months with us!

• Customized internship
  • Improve your Spanish
  • Gain international experience in your field
  • Andean & Peruvian cultural immersion
Weeks Min.
Weeks Max
Application Fee
Deposit

Looks like you'll need to be at an intermediate level or above for the internship. Here's the link for more info: http://www.linguistichorizons.com/faq/

Maile
Long Beach, California
California State University- Long Beach

An Excellent Experience

To begin, the founder and director of the program, Nicole Berry is absolutely excellent! She is always available to contact through email or phone about any questions or concerns you might have, as well as providing a pre- departure orientation so that you are able to speak to others attending the program, and to prepare you for what can be expected as far as what to bring, what you can expect, as well what is expected of you.
As for the program, my focus is in education so I was placed with an organization called Semillas de Jesus. This organization served as a dormitory for indigenous children who were living outside of the main town of Urubama but studied there during the week. The kids would arrive on Monday mornings, live in the dormitories during the week to attend school, then return to their respective outlying towns on Fridays. This was an amazing placement and experience for me because not only did I get to interact with the kids in both Spanish and English, I was able to do community visits with the organizers of the organization to visit the homes and families of the children I was teaching. I was able to create close relationships with the children and it was extremely difficult to leave. It was not only an educational experience but an opportunity for personal growth as well. It was an amazing experience and I am very thankful that I was chosen to participate.

James
Kansas
Kansas State University

Great Trip

I learned many new things during my 5-week intern abroad in Peru. Nicole Berry is a great leader and truly cares that the student gains amazing experience from this trip. Living abroad, even for a short time has the potential to drastically change a personal perspective on the world and how we have become accustomed to living in it. Anyone who is interested in a change of scenery would love this program.
Would highly recommend this program.

More of a focus on learning Spanish.

Karina
Valencia, Santa Clarita, California

An authentic, life changing experience.

If you are looking for the most authentic experience possible I would highly recommend this program. Nicole, the program coordinator, offers a far lower price to intern abroad than my own school does! From the moment I turned in my application for this internship, Nicole was great with communication. Even without all of the amazing hikes(MACHU PICCHU!!), food, markets, and hands on medicinal experiences, I would say Nicole alone is what made this trip worth it for me. She is very attentive to detail and genuinely cares about you. When I would email her prior to departure, I would receive a reply within a few hours max. Upon arrival in Peru, she was constantly checking on us to make sure that not only were we hydrated and adjusting to the altitude, but that we were enjoying the activities we were doing. She and Max made a great team, he is very educated on the many ruins that we visited and knows the mountains like the back of his hand. If there is something you are interested in that is not included on the day's itinerary, Nicole will go out of her way to help you book that activity or make a day trip. This truly is as authentic as you can get. You truly learn your way around the town of Urubamba and might run into a cow or two. Even if I had planned by Peru trip on my own, I would never been able to meet the healers that I did through Nicole's contacts. She has some truly amazing friends and shares great advice/travel experience. This was a very spiritual experience for me, and it left me viewing my own world through a different lens.

I truly cannot think of one way this program can be improved, Nicole has these internships down to a science! However I would say for a greater experience, I would have extended this program longer than two weeks!

Eliana
San Diego
San Diego State University

Amazing sights, interesting culture, and delicious food!!

My internship in the sacred Valley was very enriching. I got to see the beauty of a country with abundant biodiversity, learn about Peruvian culture, and interact with nature and locals. During my internship I had to do some marketing research and that was an adventure. I had to get out of my “comfort zone” to talk to locals which at times was a little difficult. In Peru people spoke Spanish (my first language), but they also spoke Quechua and Aymara: Native American languages. The day of my appointment with a local vendor, I forgot to put sunblock on. Anyhow, I got out of the “hopedaje” and while I was walking, I saw some pigs and a sheep. Suddenly, I noticed that they were staring at me. Then, they started to walk faster. Next thing you know, I was being chased by those animals. As I was running to get away from them, I couldn’t help myself but laugh really hard. I said to myself, the beauty of Peru. Once, I got to talk to the vendor, I found out that Peruvians were very welcoming people very sensitive to cultural changes and the presence of foreigners.

The program can be improved by being a little more specific on the expectations of the intern. Besides, independent exploring should be encouraged a little more

Alfredo
Long Beach, California
California State University- Long Beach

Exploring the Sacred Valley of the Incas!

I enjoyed every moment with the Llama Pack Project at their hostel thanks to Linguistic Horizons. Only difficulty is waking up early but this gives you more time to enjoy all the sights and visits of every day. The hostel provides a different Peruvian meal daily and transportation to and from Cusco and the other towns is included with the fee. Do not miss this opportunity to explore one of the most beautiful countries you will ever visit!

Only thing I would change about the program would be to include airfare in the fee.

Linguistic Horizons promotes language and cultural immersion through unique study abroad and customized internship programs. We provide authentic "off the beaten path" experiences. Choosing a less touristy destination provides a more authentic and immersive experience. Programs are available for all majors in a variety of