Crossroads Eurasia: Internships in Russia

Crossroads Eurasia: Internships in Russia

Discover Russian differently this summer. Take an internship with a Russian company -- teach English, be a camp counselor, or do translation. Positions cater to beginners and advanced speakers alike.

• Improve your Russian. Our internships are in places few foreigners go, and every aspect of your trip will help you discover something new about Russia.

• Professional work experience. Your English skills open the door to resume-worthy summer work opportunities
  • No hassle travel. We take care of your visa, help with travel logistics, and help you settle before you begin your internship.
  • Alumni network. Our program creates a community of alumni who support each other after the program.
  • Low expenses. Your host organization pays for your housing and meals, hence the low program fee, and a few internships are paid. You can also save by applying early and referring friends.
Europe » Russia
Visa Requirement
Weekly Hours

Aidan

My Teaching Experience in Voronezh

This summer I had the opportunity to spend five weeks teaching English in Voronezh, Russia. Although I know many classmates who made trips to Russia to take language classes, making the decision to teach English there instead was one of my best decisions when it came to understanding foreign cultures. Not only was the Crossroads Eurasia staff incredibly helpful with the process of taking care of the paperwork necessary for going abroad, but they took care of my living accommodations, food, and internship placement. I was able to teach young Russian Business professionals English and made close relationships with them both in and outside of the classroom, and had a flexible schedule which allowed for me to travel often within the surrounding region. Not many people who travel abroad are able to make friends with so many natives of the region they visit, especially with study abroad trips that restrict your communication to students from your own country. In addition, I became incredibly close with my host family, and they helped me develop my Russian speaking skills and cultural knowledge of Russia to a level I never could have if I read from a textbook all day. If you want an opportunity to develop professional skills by teaching your language to others, travel, learn a new language, and make life-long friends, Crossroads Eurasia is the program for you!

I am 100% satisfied with the Crossroads Eurasia program and have no possible improvements in mind.

Raya
St Andrews, Scotland

review

I spent 3 weeks teaching English at a private preschool-kindergarten program in Voronezh, Russia--if anything my Russian improved much more than my students' English did, as children use language very creatively and adults use a lot more imperatives than usual when in charge of children. The host family I stayed with could not have been more open or accommodating and treated me extremely courteously, allowing me relatively free use of all facilities in their house, and making conversation despite not being obligated to. Overall about an 8/10 experience, the -2 being only because Voronezh is unbearably hot in the summer and riding a crowded commuter bus at high noon when it is over 90 degrees outside is not ideal.

Marisa

An Ideal Experience

I am so grateful to Crossroads Eurasia for giving me the opportunity to live and teach in Ryazan, Russia. They provided an incredible in-country support system that not only made me feel comfortable and cared for, but also introduced me to people who are now some of my closest friends. The people I worked and lived with welcomed me into their lives with open arms and happily shared different aspects of their culture with me.

I would recommend this program to anyone even remotely interested in learning about what it is like to live and work in Russia. The fact that Crossroads offers students the ability to experience life in Russia outside of the major cities (Moscow and St. Petersburg) is absolutely invaluable. Additionally, Crossroads and their partners all across Russia work their hardest to give students the chance to travel around the area and see as many different places and sights as possible.

Working with Crossroads was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life in terms of both language and personal growth.

Linda
Sewanee, Tennessee
University of the South

Good experience

I was incredibly grateful for the chance to broaden my teaching experience in Ryazan, Russia. My host family was quite friendly and outgoing, and I greatly appreciated the chances to teach in an applied classroom setting and the free time I received to explore some of Russia's beautiful cities! A guided trip to the gorgeous Konstantinovo was certainly a highlight, as was the freedom to travel to the wonderful old cities of Vladimir and Suzdal.

As I seek to become a teacher of English someday, I would consider this experience invaluable.

Ben
Baltimore, Maryland
Goucher College

The best way to do an internship in Russia

From the very beginning they make you feel very comfortable. They walk you through all of the steps regarding visas and paperwork. They answered all of my questions quickly and to satisfaction. They really make you feel like you are safe and in good hands. They check up on you while in Russia to make sure everything is going smoothly.

The only improvement I would suggest is to have the intern communicate more with the program director more before they arrive in Russia.

Blake
St.Petersburg, Russia

Great Program for Exposure to Russian Language and Culture

Crossroads Eurasia is a great program for those whose primary goal is to learn Russian quickly via exposure. As you are placed in cities in provincial Russia, you see the real Russia and speak almost exclusively in Russian. As such, your language skills will increase very quickly and you will see Russia in the truest sense (as opposed to a more Westernized experience in Moscow or St.Petersburg). For those who enjoy teaching English, the working aspect is very enjoyable as well.

Since the program was new, planning/structure could definitely be improved. There are very few kids in each city's program and you are more or less on your own with them in Russia.

Dana
Mission Hills, Kansas
University of the South

Summer in Ryazan

Teaching English at Global House in Ryazan didn't just put me in a teacher's position in a house next to where Pavlov was born. It put me in conversation with and thrust me into the life of a city rarely visited by foreigners, in a country whose national image is gaining attention. In the midst of the turbulent summer of 2014 I was exposed not to political points of view, but unique individual human experiences, lives, and what's more, friends.
Our Russian students, staff and their friends were extremely warm towards us and invited us on all their excursions to the countryside, visiting the rolling fields and abandoned bridge of Dobry Sot, the midnight stars at Dubki, our friend's banya in Rybnoe, and day trips to the unforgettable colorful Kremlins of Kolomna, Vladimir and Suzdal.
In the midst of it all, my friend and I got a shot at fame when a Ryazanian TV crew interviewed us at a festival!

Overall there are too many reasons to recommend the Crossroads Eurasia program for anyone wanting to experience the true Russia. Having studied abroad in Saint Petersburg before I had longed to see a glimpse of the gritty, dusty life that most Ryazanians were kind enough to let me into.

If there was one thing I could change about the program, it would be... well, nothing! Almost everything about the program (minus the WiFi, lack of in certain places) was unforgettable.

Kailey
Philadelphia, PA
Drexel University

Wonderful experience in a gorgeous Russian provincial city

Working with Kristina, Katya, and Anna was absolutely fantastic, and the work was different every day, allowing my Russian to improve tremendously over three months.

Since the internship was only 20 hours per week, I was also able to travel to surrounding cities on weekends and explore different attractions around Voronezh in my spare time. My host family (who was actually a couple close to my age, so they were more like host friends :D) was so nice; it was a blast hanging out with them.

My summer in Voronezh is certainly not one I will soon forget!

I would have preferred to have had a better work orientation. Although my work was fairly straightforward, I was not sure about the workplace hierarchy and how to handle clients at first.

Elizabeth
New York, NY
University of Maryland

Crossroads is a great program!

Vlad and Martina (the program directors) are really great people to get to know, and I learned so much from my experiences living abroad in Russia. They both helped me every step along the way - including getting my visa, connecting with my host family, an in-person orientation for the program, and so on. During the program, I lived in Nerekhta for a month (near Kostroma) and I also lived in Voronezh for a month. There were plenty of opportunities for doing fun things all over the city as well as outside of the city, including a little bit of "free time" to do whatever I wanted - and I enjoyed being able to work as an English teacher abroad. This would be a great program for someone who speaks Russian very well, or even an absolute beginner.

Having more of a say in where I wanted to go. I told them I wanted to teach English, and I was originally disappointed to be going to two different cities during my stay rather than staying in one city the whole time, but I ended up enjoying the diversity of living in a smaller city and then moving to a much bigger city for the second half of my stay. So my negative ended up turning into a positive.

Kasia
George Washington University

Great experience to kickstart undergraduate career

Spending 5 weeks teaching English at a summer camp in Nerekhta ended up solidifying my decision to invest in Russian for the rest of my college career.
At the time, I only had two semesters of Russian language learning under my belt. It was enough to get by, but communication struggles were very common. However, this is the perfect opportunity to pick up the language -- I ended up skipping an entire year of the Russian language sequence at my university once I returned to school in the fall.
My host family was very sweet, caring, and understanding. They were just as happy to have me and learn about me as I was them.
Though the schedule over the 5 weeks was pretty tight, we were lucky enough to be provided with excursions to the major nearby cities over the weekends. Our transport and stays were covered even then.
Both the counselors and young campers were eager to befriend the English-speakers and teach us plenty of Russian words and phrases that you wouldn't learn in a classroom
Overall, it was a great program -- especially for the cost -- and I saw more of Russia than I did on my formal study abroad program in Russia later on.

I'm sure this varies from place to place, but the camp I worked was pretty unorganized once we got on the ground. We spent a good amount of time making lesson plans for our English classes. Though we did travel on the weekends, the day-to-day schedule tightly packed. I would have liked to have had more time with my host family during the week. The last-minute visa process is also pretty stressful, but that's more on the Russia government than on Crossroads.

Nicholas

Fantastic Experience!

I had never been to Russia before this program and thanks to Crossroads Eurasia, I got to experience the country, meet awesome people, improve my Russian language skills, and even propel my career back in the United States! The volunteers in Russia were fantastic and very welcoming thanks to this excellent program.

Only way it could have been better be for more volunteers to be able to go.

Maggie
DC
American University

Teaching English in an East Russian City

I knew no Russian prior to the program, so the great amount of independence expected of the program participants in navigating the city was difficult at first but turned out to be rewarding in the end.

The social scene was great--including planned group trips and getting to hang out with both Russian and international assistants who were around my age.

Jess
American University

English teaching

I highly recommend to anyone who wants a good work experience, while improving their Russian and seeing the country. Plus, how many people can say they worked in Russia?? Not many. You'll come back with lots of stories and new friendships, that not many others have experiences

I wish I had more information going into the program. I felt like I knew a lot about going to Russia and less about the work I'd do.

April
Georgetown University

Great Professional Development, Exposure to "Real Russia"

I have participated in a number of work and study programs in Russia, and Crossroads is by far one of the best. I worked as an English teacher with Linguist and as a translator for Livestock Link in Voronezh, Russia. The experience helped me to develop marketable skills and has really given me a great jumping-off foundation for further travel and work in Russia and other post-Soviet states. The work itself was fun and left a lot of room for flexibility and creativity. The program is well-executed, and the staff is extremely friendly and supportive at every stage of the process.

Olga
Northwestern University

A life-changing experience

I interned in Ryazan, Russia through Crossroads Eurasia in Summer 2012. There are really no words that can describe the experience, except that it was absolutely life-changing, and one that I know I will never forget. I taught English and Spanish at a small private language school, and one of the most valuable experiences was the fact that practically all of my students became my friends. I even had a summer romance. :) Three years later, I am still in touch with a few of the students and teachers at the language school. Ryazan was a wonderful city and the fact that my host was a girl my age really gave me an authentic, fun experience. It was very easy to join her and her friends in going out to bars, plays, to the circus, etc. I would definitely recommend the program to anyone. It's about as authentic as you can get if you really want to experience the Russian culture.

Alex
Pembroke Pines, FL
University of Florida

Unforgettable

In the summer of 2011 I worked as an English teacher in Ryazan’. I was on my second trip to Russia and was curious of my trip would be in comparison to my first time. My experience in Ryazan’ was honestly one of the best experiences of my whole life, although it was only for one month. My host family was very hospitable. I had a wonderful hostess who became like a sister to me in the time that I lived with her and her family. Her parents only spoke Russian, so I was able to get very good practice with speaking and enjoyed having conversations with them. They made me feel like a son to them.
I was the instructor of the adult class, and luckily my students had prior knowledge of English. I felt a little bit foolish at first when I went to my first class expecting everybody to be at a low level of English knowledge (I started with the ABCs) and then found that many of them could hold a conversation in English. I worked with them to expand their vocabulary on a variety of topics and to help with to increase their fluency and comfort in speaking English. Some of the topics we discussed were travel, entertainment, food, family, and politics. I was very proud of the progress that my students made in the month that I worked with them, and I am delighted that I still keep in contact with some of them. Overall, my experience as an English teacher was wonderful and completely worthwhile. I truly enjoyed working with my students.
Outside of class, there was plenty of time to explore Ryazan’, meet new people, and just plain have fun! One of my favorite things to do while there was to meet up with the other volunteers and hang out with them and a group of Russians who we had befriended. The Russians we met are some of the nicest and most genuine friends I’ve made and I’m glad that I can call them friends. Aside from meeting people, Crossroads set up some nice excursions, including a trip to the city of Kasimov and a camping trip to Brykin Bor. Brykin Bor was a very peaceful place and the people who we stayed with, the Klimakov family, were very hospitable and lovely people. I was also fortunate to go on an evening trip to Konstantinovo, the birthplace of poet Sergei Yesenin, and on a camping trip with some of my friends to a lake where we swam at midnight. Needless to say, if I were to visit Ryazan’ again, my to-do list of visits would be huge!
If I could, I would go back to Russia and teach English and do it all over again. It was a truly worthwhile and amazing experience.

I had little problems on my trip, but it'd be nice to include a day or weekend trip to Moscow as well.

Abra

Fun

I had a wonderful time in Voronezh. It really is a chance to get to know the real Russia. I'm still friends with most of the Russians I met there. It's a great way to learn Russian and learn about the Russian culture. One of the best parts of the program was that you do have a lot of freedom to make your trip how you want it, and there are lots of opportunities to converse with Russians. Living in Voronezh gave me more of an open mind, a different perspective on life, and I learned a lot about another culture as well as my own. I learned a lot, and I had so much fun along the way. Also, the weather in the summer is great! I 100% do not regret my choice in going to Voronezh.

Vlad is a great resource and understands American and Russian culture both very well. He is also easy to get along with! Another important thing is that Vlad did a good job of choosing the fellow Americans that go on the trip with you. The Americans were adaptable, charismatic, and had a sense of humor. This proved to be a humongous help when things didn't go smoothly, and the other Americans acted as a support group for me.

The camp we were at was poorly organized, and getting a visa at the last minute was a big stress.

Katie
Washington, D.C.
Middlebury College

Seize the opportunity

What you get out of the program depends on what you are willing to put into it. My best advice, SPEAK RUSSIAN! You are there to teach English, but after class, get out and explore, meet locals, go to movies, or just the supermarket. CrossRoads helps get you to Russia, it's up to you to take advantage of the opportunity.

Class time did not take up much of the day. There was some travel, but would be nice to set up more outside events. The Russian helpers were great though.

Katlynn
University of Washington- Seattle

Awesome and Invaluable

I traveled to Nerekhta in the summer of 2011 to teach English at the International Youth Center. As an English and Communication major with hopes of becoming a secondary English teacher, my main motives for seeking a program like this was to gain teaching experience and to travel.

My host family was amazing: hospitable, kind, understanding and always asking questions. I felt living with a host family was a valuable component of my experience because it was an authentic glimpse into the lives of people from a completely different part of the world than what I'm used to. I'm also a vegetarian and was pretty anxious about how this would play out, but again, my host family made sure I had everything I needed. I always felt included, whether that be with going to pick berries, going swimming in the river, or making dinner, they always invited me to do family activities.

I also loved that on weekends we would take little day trips to neighboring cities. We had a lot of freedom when it came to exploring and I was grateful that I was able to see more than just my host-town while I was there.

One to three months can seem daunting especially if you haven't traveled alone before, but Crossroads helped so much in the whole process and made it incredibly stress-free. They gave me a timeline (and as someone who loves making lists and charts, I found this especially great), and also helped with the visa process, and coordinated my living situation, having someone meet us at the airport and help us travel to our destination. If this hadn't happened, then I would have been so scared and confused. My Russian skills aren't the best, and working out how to get around a new city is difficult enough! Communication between myself and the coordinators was always really easy and they were always helpful. It's rare that in an international teaching program the correspondence is personal and friendly. I'm so glad I went through Crossroads to have my international teaching experience and would definitely do it again!

Kelsey
Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland

Amazing experience

I traveled to Voronezh, Russia with Crossroads Eurasia in the summer of 2011. This was one of the best traveling experiences I have had, and will color my traveling choices for the rest of my life. This program organized living and working arrangements, as well as coordinating traveling details that would have been incredibly difficult for me to work out on my own -- we were supported with everything from getting a visa to securing plane tickets, navigating the Russian airports, and finding transportation to our town.

I lived with a Russian family who were kind, supportive, thoughtful, and immersed me completely in the culture and language. I got to experience cooking, driving, public transportation, markets, malls, birthday parties, beaches, dachas, rivers, caves, and endless other events and experiences that one doesn't normally find when spending time in a foreign country. I truly felt welcomed and supported by the community that Crossroads connected me with. Due to this unique immersion experience, my Russian language skills improved exponentially. I worked tutoring English students in small classes through a language school in the city, as well as spending time at a children's camp for Russian kids learning English. These experiences were challenging and rewarding, and I made several new friends through the process.

While I got a brief but fantastic tour of Moscow during my traveling/transition period, one aspect of this program that I truly appreciated was the opportunity to travel to, around, and really live life in a city that I would never have otherwise experienced. Living and working in Voronezh for a month taught me amazing things about life and independence. The difference between visiting a place as a tourist and really experiencing another culture was sharply highlighted, and in my future traveling experiences I will strive for a deeper understanding of the places I go, because I know how rewarding that is. Professionally, I now have a much greater understanding of the international community, as well as having a sincere connection with other Crossroads alumni.

The teaching and camp-counselor organization was confusing, and I didn't really know what to expect or feel prepared to speak at many of the lessons (I'm the type of person who plans everything in great detail ahead of time). I believe the internships organized by Crossroads Eurasia have evolved since 2011, so I'm not sure that this comment still applies.

nick.georgetown

Excellent First Trip to Russia

I'm incredibly happy I decided to participate in a Crossroads Eurasia program the summer after my freshman year. Spending a month in Nerekhta allowed me to improve my Russian language skills and to see a different side of Russia.

In Nerekhta I volunteered as an english teacher at the International Youth Center. Even though I had only studied Russian for one year and had never taught English, I felt right at home in my new environment. My fellow American volunteers were amazing. Lessons were always fun and it was a joy working with determined students.

I also had a wonderful homestay experience. My host parents went out of there way to help me learn as much as possible about Russian culture. We went to the banya, Orthodox church services, and community events. On the weekends I would travel around the region with them. I visited Rostov, Kostroma, Yaroslavl, and Moscow. They always made sure I was comfortable and truly made me feel like part of the family.

Making new friends, experiencing Russian culture, teaching great students, improving your Russian, seeing a different side of Russia – that’s what this program is all about. More ever, Crossroads Eurasia is a family. I still keep in contact with fellow volunteers as well as the coordinators. Nothing but good things to say.

Tyler
Washington, D.C.
Georgetown University

Experience the REAL Russia!

Crossroads Eurasia provided me with the greatest summer of my life with a one-month internship in Voronezh, Russia. I lived with a Russian family in their apartment, but had my own bedroom, access to internet, and plenty of delicious home-cooked meals every day! Because of my teaching experience in Voronezh, I have increased my professional and social networks, added measurable experience to my résumé, and become not only friends, but family, with many Russians.

A true highlight of my time in Voronezh was the time outside of work that I spent with Russians. We engaged in a true cultural exchange, and I still talk to my Russian friends on a weekly basis. My knowledge of the Russian language improved exponentially, and allowed me to grow even further academically when I studied abroad in Saint Petersburg a few months later.

While there are a few practical difficulties when living and working in a new country (like learning the public transportation and cultural norms), Crossroads Eurasia provided the expert advice and support needed to feel truly comfortable. I knew that no matter what happened, this program would be able to help me feel at home.

If you are looking for a fun, exciting, challenging, professional, and off-the-beaten-trail experience in Russia for the best deal, you don't have to look any further than Crossroads Eurasia!

I participated in 2011, so things might have changed since then, but I would have liked a few more opportunities to "meet" my Russian host family before I left. I was able to see a few pictures of the apartment and write an email or two to my family, but that only happened a week or two before I left.

However, every Russian family that hosted a Crossroads Eurasia participant was experienced in housing a non-native, and made every one of us feel incredibly comfortable and loved. They supported us whenever we needed help, and allowed us to learn and grow, all while giving us a taste of true Russian hospitality.

Discover Russia differently this summer. Take an internship with a Russian company.

We offer 1- to 2-month placements, all in places that are delightfully less international than Moscow or St. Petersburg. We will help you prepare for travel, ensure safe and comfortable accommodations, and provide