- South Africa
- Mossel Bay
View Other Details
Not included – airfare, spending money, laundry
Oceans Research Institute’s field research program provides a first-hand practical experience in marine research and conservation. Anyone with an interest in marine research, conservation and/or education can benefit.
Our program focuses on long-term research projects like the population assessment of white sharks or the habitat use and bio-acoustics of marine mammals. We have projects focused on teaching research skills to our students. But we also teach practical skills from what to do when an boat engine won’t start, to how to fish responsibly in order to tag sharks.
Furthermore, the ability to apply the research knowledge our students obtain into our various conservation and awareness programs in the local schools, adds to the diversity of skills and experiences. Our program has been recognized by many international universities providing up to a full semester credits for one month with us due to the intensive experience obtained by the students.
- How to deploy Baited Remote Underwater Video (BRUV) equipment, Remote Operated Vehicles (ROV) and drones, to subsequently analyse video data in order to answer specific research questions. How to conduct surveys of intertidal invertebrate communities
- Learn how to best maintain research boats and scientific equipment
- Marine Mammal Stranding Response workshop
- Science Communication Course
- Get a PADI OWD, AWOD or RD certification included