Environmental and Travel Journalism Internship

Interns on an interactive wildlife expedition.
Interns on an interactive wildlife expedition.

Learn how to research and produce written content, and receive guidance in establishing a successful career in the fields of environmental journalism and travel writing.

Environmental journalism and travel writing are both powerful tools to advocate for the natural world and to inform the general public on ways to travel sustainably and how to best experience the wonders of nature.Join us to learn invaluable new skills especially practical ones. You’ll revel in our unique environment and wildlife. You can experience first hand what to expect as you embark upon a career as a journalist. Let our team work with you to put into words, the wonders and challenges our world faces.

To be a successful journalist you must have an understanding of: current environmental concerns; environmental policy decisions; scientific studies; have knowledge of historical environmental events and above all else, possess an inquiring and curious mind.

• You don’t need any experience or academic qualifications in journalism.
  • Expeditions will travel to different venues to allow you to visit the organisations upon which your stories are based.
  • The environmental and travel journalism program runs over one month.
  • We are far from malaria areas, and there are no strange African diseases which you could pick up. (Simply take normal safety into account.)
  • The program runs for weekdays only, on the weekends you will be able to take part in activities / tours organised by our partner Oceans Discovery or relax.

Steven

Rewarding experience

I enjoyed the program and the syllabus. It was a great opportunity to travel the Garden Route, improve my writing and get published. Rouxne, the instructor, was a great editor and a guide to this part of South Africa.
I would perhaps add a fun group activity from the start to encourage a bond among the students.
Fun weekend outings.

I enjoyed visiting all the different towns along the Garden Route and also improving my photography skills. The Schotia Game Reserve weekend was a real highlight. Would propose more options for weekend outings if possible.

More weekend excursion options even
Some group bonding activities
Consider having students stay in Mossel Bay proper as there is more life there.
Rebecca

Africa Media journalism internship

I chose to do the internship as part of my work experience for uni. The staff were really helpful beforehand and I was confident with what was expected of me. They checked what I wanted to get out of the program so that they could tailor specific activities to me and my interests. I learned a lot more than I would at university, as the course is specifically for Travel and Environmental journalism. So, it goes into more detail on the type of writing and interviewing styles, how to make it freelance, etc. Get to go on exciting weekend trips and excursions, too!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
For one of my stories, we went Shark cage diving - which is something I never thought I would do!
Michelle

Not a scam, totally real program

Imagine my relief when I got to the airport and saw someone holding an Africa Media sign. The whole program was insightful and extremely helpful. Learned a lot, met so many great people and definitely honed in my skills as a journalist. The best thing about the program is that you don't have to have any history with journalism and can be a complete amateur, yet, by the end of the mont you'll leave with a comprehensive understanding of the career. Loved everyone at Africa Media, really cool people.