• Tanzania

Apartment Host Family
Jul 18, 2020
Sep 01, 2021
18 travelers are looking at this program

Tanzania is developing at an extreme pace. While tourism has been big in Tanzania for many years (being one of Africa's top tourist destinations with attractions including Mt. Kilimanjaro, Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater and Zanzibar), the level of professionalism of many other sectors is increasing and already of good standard. Now it is a good time to get to know the work conditions of Tanzania.

We arrange internships in:

* Hospitals (e.g. medical and nursing electives, final year rotations, physiotherapy)
* Psychology at Mental Hospital
* Teaching at public and private schools (Education)
* Women's rights
* Social Work with many NGOs
* Sustainable Development
* Tropical Farming
* Reforestation
* Veterinary medicine
* Zanzibar Beach Hotels and Tanzania Safari Lodges
* English-language newspapers, TV and media production (journalism, media technologies, design)
* Architecture and technology (solar, irrigation etc.)
* Remote Internships

Program Highlights

• Our service is very personal and we put effort into finding the right internship that meets your requirements and those of your university (if so). Professional supervision/tutoring for university credit is possible.
  • In our team there are professionals from various subject areas (e.g. biology, social work, sustainable tourism etc.) who can assist you with research for BA, MA and PhD dissertations.
  • With around 400 participants per year, we are one of the largest providers of internships and volunteering in Tanzania. We offer excursions and activities on the weekends that you can join to meet fellow interns and really get to know Tanzania.
  • Add our "World Learner" activities and learn for instance about traditional herbal medicine, sailing boat building, coffee farming and production, do Swahili language lessons, etc.
  • We run our own development programs in Tanzania that you can additionally get to know. With your participation you fund these programs and contribute to the sustainable development of your host country.

Popular Programs

Mother Nature Conservation Camp

As a volunteer at the World Unite! Mother Nature Conservation Camp Kilimanjaro, you will join activities related to the reforestation of eroded land and environmental education and you will be part of a local farming community!

Social Work & Teaching in Moshi

In Moshi, a town on the foothills of Kilimanjaro we work with a number of facilities that support children. These children have for various reasons, less privileged lives and wouldn't be cared for sufficiently without the work of the facilities. In Tanzania, there are approximately 4 million children under 14 who are not appropriately cared for.

Medical Elective in Tanzania

We organize hospital internships, including elective placements, (pre-)medical, (pre-)nursing, (pre-)midwifery, physiotherapy, and other healthcare internships at several hospitals and medical facilities in Kilimanjaro, Arusha, Dar-es-Salaam and Zanzibar. Gain hands-on medical experience and learn about Tanzania's health care system first hand!

Safari Tourism Internship

Do your internship at a safari camp, a safari lodge or a tourist hotel in Tanzania and gain valuable experience for your future career in the tourism and hospitality industry! This is possible in the areas around the National Parks such as the Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Kilimanjaro, and also in cities like Moshi and Arusha, where the safaris usually start and end, as well as the largest city in Tanzania, Dar-es-Salaam.

Law Internship in Tanzania

Internships and volunteer assignments are possible with several legal organizations. You can focus on whether you are interested in women's rights, the rights of minorities or human rights and want to do educational work; or work directly in a law firm that handles court cases.

• 9-10 rating 85.71%
  • 7-8 rating 14.29%
Keith

Great experience

Volunteering with my wife at the aquarium in Zanzibar was a great experience. It was also very informative about sea turtle conservation and we left there learning more about sea turtles than we ever thought we would. The staff at the aquarium there was very friendly and always helpful. The World Unite staff was extremely helpful and very dedicated to their jobs. They were very willing to help from the time you landed on the island all the way until you left to go home. For anyone who volunteers in Zanzibar, make your voice heard because staff are willing to change things if it improves the program.

Response from World Unite!

Hi Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are always delighted to receive feedback from participants of our programs.

We are glad to read that you and your wife had a great experience volunteering at the Marine Turtle aquarium in Nungwi and that you learned a lot about turtles. As well as how the aquarium and World Unite! staff were helpful and supportive throughout your entire stay. We are happy to have made your stay in Zanzibar worthwhile.

We wish you all the best and Karibuni tena Zanzibar.

Janis

Big Family / Awesome Time

I stayed 5 weeks at the Mnarani Aquarium in Nungwi.

The time I spend there was amazing, the work there is pretty simple but you still will learn something new about the turtles there. The local staff is always friendly to you and you can make jokes with them. They will treat you like Family everyone belongs to this family.
The other volentuers are open minded and are coming all over the world so you get many different cultures there.
And on the weekend you can explore the island by your self and you have enough time.

Response from World Unite!

Hi Janis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We are always happy to get feedback from participants of our programs.

We are glad to read that you had an amazing time Volunteering at the Mnarani Aquarium in Nungwi and your overall time in Zanzibar.

Warm wishes for your future endeavors and karibu tena Zanzibar!

Nufer

Love the camp

I really liked the atmosphere in the rainforest camp and that you build your own little community. During the day you work, in the evenings you talk, play cards or other games or stay in your tent and take time for yourself. The staff was extremely helpful. They even help you organizing touristy tours. The food in the camp is quite good. I like that you also work together with locals and get in touch with them. Everybody in the camp cares about the environment, nature, wildlife, children and the neighborhood. It's interesting that each day looks different than the other. It helps when you stay flexible, open minded and watch the preparation videos to get a good feeling of what to expect. I would go again. =)

Giovanni

One month at the Mother Nature Forest Camp, Kilimanjaro

This was the first time I travelled to Africa and I enjoyed the experience from the first day. The staff of World Unite! was supportive in any aspect and made me feel welcome even before my arrival. Once there, I met a lot of lovely people in Mweka/Moshi both among the locals and the other volunteers, and I really felt part of the community. Of course, staying at the forest camp may be a little tough for someone, due to the quite cold and very wet climate, but dwelling right at the border of the Kilimanjaro National Park is an unmatchable experience. As for the camp, it has been newly settled and it is pretty comfortable, apt to host many guests. The activities are of different types: taking care of the tree nursery, collecting seeds, planting seedlings, cleaning the streets, helping local farmers and more. Mr Sikievu, the man who leads the project in coordination with the World Unite! staff, is a great source of inspiration and will teach you a lot about the project itself and about the culture of the region. Other local people work at the camp cooking, keeping watch and doing works of diverse kind; all of them really made us volunteers feel at home, and the connection we established was precious and sincere. Miriam and Adelina were of invaluable help and support, at any time committing to make you get the most out of your stay in Tanzania. I am so grateful of everything and definitely recommend this experience!

It happened on some days that the schedule of activities was not so clear or not very efficient. The camp has started running recently, so one can expect that this will come right in the next few months.
Florence

Amazing experience

My stay in Zanzibar was absolutely amazing. The staff members were always kind and tried their best to organize different activities for us to do. The camp was equipped with all necessities and the food was delicious. I would definitely recommend it to everyone. I built some amazing new friendships with locals and with other volunteers. We all got to experience so many different things which taught us so much about the Tanzanian culture. Our task varied from farm work to teach children at schools about environmental education and planting trees. I stayed in Zanzibar for six weeks which was the perfect amount of time for me to get used to traditions, weather conditions and the work ethnic. As a conclusion I would say that volunteering in Zanzibar was the experience of a lifetime for me and I would recommend it to everyone.

The only issue that bothered me whilst being in Zanzibar were some visa problems that occurred which were not any staff members fault.
Marie

Loved staying in Tanzania with WorldUnite

There was always a really good communicationstructur in the organisation. In Moshi we had a local assistant who was always there for us in case of need and for every questions.
My time in Tanzania was one of the best experience in my life. I got a feel for the real life in Africa and I enjoyed the time. I wished I could have stayed longer.

There could be organised language courses in suaheli for all of the trainee who are at the same town.
Annika

A Dream of Africa

Zanzibar is the most beautiful place in the world. The people are always friendly. The coordinators of world unite care for you all time: They show and explain you everything and you can call them 24hours. The island oversupply a lot: great ocean, excellent food (very cheap), a beautiful nature and multicultural flair. My project (school and kindergarten) was the best think I ever do. I'm still in contact with some teachers and it was a great time there. It's a chance for your life, because you will find out an interesting and fantastic culture and country! I already stayed a second time in Zanzibar and it was not my last.

If you are open minded you will have the best time in your live. Sometimes there are littele problems but not because of the organisation: there are many people they can help you!