Learn Mandarin in Shanghai with EF

EF Shanghai
EF Shanghai
Lobby @ EF
Lobby @ EF

Travel to the world's most populated nation to immerse yourself in the language of a rising superpower. Shanghai serves as the cultural, commercial, and industrial hub in China. You will learn Mandarin at EF's bright and modern school located in People's Square. After class, practice with locals as you explore Nanjing Road, The Bund, or the Oriental Pearl Tower. Grab soup dumplings and tang gao with your classmates and be sure to order in Mandarin!

At EF, can decide when you want to study, how long you'll stay, and what you'd like to focus on. You can personalize your course with Special Interest Classes like Chinese Characters, Music, and exam prep (Hanyu Exam). Earn transferable college credit for any course 4 weeks or longer, allowing you to make the most of your time abroad.

• Study from 2 weeks up to a full year, start any Monday.
  • Located near People's Square, featuring classrooms with the the latest learning technology.
  • Top activities include tour of The Bund, photo hunt of Tianzifang art district, cruise of the Huangpu River, and weekend at Shanghai Disney.
  • Choose to reside with a local host family or in the EF Residence, an international dorm.
  • EF students hail from over 100 countries around the world.

• Instruction 10
Nicole

Amazing Experience

Over the summer, I studied abroad with EF in Shanghai, China. I lived with a host family who was very nice and welcoming. Everyone at the EF school helped me settle in and feel at home in Shanghai. My Chinese Mandarin improved tremendously over the course of three weeks and I enjoyed the language classes very much. Living with a host family was great because I was able to practice at home all the new vocabulary words that I had learned in my classes or throughout the day. Additionally, EF offered fun activities for students to do every day, this was very helpful for meeting other students and making friends during my trip. I would definitely recommend this program to other students looking to improve their language skills or participate in a fun summer program. The study abroad trip with EF has been one of the best experiences in my life!

Zachary

Best time of my life!

I just got back from my experience with EF in Shanghai, China- and it was absolutely incredible. You might be confused because of some Beijing reviews, but basically, the school has just transferred to Shanghai, and even though the school is brand new, it is functioning great! The school staff is so friendly and welcoming from the very beginning. With the small class sizes, EF makes learning Chinese practical and enjoyable. After spending 3 months here, I would have never expected that my Chinese would be as good as it is now. I am able to have conversations with the local people and able to survive in China. Before coming to Shanghai, I was a bit hesitant if it would be the place for me... Now looking back I am so happy that I made the decision to step out of my comfort zone and experience this rich international city. The teachers are great with years of experience in teaching Chinese. After class, they even choose to take us out for dinner and karaoke to vamp our language skills to the next level!

With EF Shanghai, every day there is something planned that you can do. It doesn't matter if it's a weekend or a weekday, EF is always planning cultural events, tours, and even trips across China and Asia to get the most of your time here.

EF does a very good job with the accommodations here in Shanghai. My apartment was always clean, and the utilities functioned great.

Conclusion- What I will take most from this experience can be summed up with the word "Networking". It felt like we were the mini United Nations. We all came from different backgrounds and cultures, lived together, studied together, and traveled together. I have created bonds that are worth maintaining through life, and I am beyond great full to have chosen EF. I have become more independent thanks to this experience and I built up a life on the other end of the globe.

This was my #EFmoment, now its time to make your own!

Gabby

The Blessed VPN

As many other overseas travelers might know, while traveling abroad the value of wifi increases by tens. In this day and age, you need wifi for everything; games, social media, and email all included. You need wifi to stay in contact with parents and friends, download awesome pictures from your trip, and make plans with all your new friends so that you can truly make the most of your trip while you are there. When using wifi abroad though, it is a very good idea to download a VPN app that helps speed up your connection. One of my favorite stories from my trip in China is about the blessed VPN. There is one type of VPN that is completely free. Many of my friends, myself included, chose to use this type of VPN. During my stay, we had one friend who used a different type of VPN that he had to pay for, but he swore it made his connection faster than the rest of ours. From then on, we had this ongoing joke where he would occasionally walk up behind us and surprise us, and whisper the name of his VPN network in our ears. We didn't care if his VPN was actually a few seconds faster, the joke was still funny. And although one of my favorite memories is about a wifi connection, which might sound somewhat petty, the joke made me realize how unimportant wifi can actually be. It made a lot of us appreciate the opportunities we were given, to be able to be visiting a different country, making new friends from all over the world, and be given a fun and exciting opportunity to learn a new language. It made us all take a step back and love experiencing a new culture, with cool people, a beautiful landscape, and an awesome history. Whether the blessed VPN was working or not, it truly made the most of my trip.

This program could be improved by more levels of classes to aid all of the different speaking abilities.
Ayse

EF China

about education about accommodation and about the city everything was wonderful. in here you can not only improve your chinese but also learn so many different things because it's an international course. activites was also the best i think because activity times are usually in the morning so after the class you can go and see the city by yourself too and subway station is really close to school so it saves time. about the class: they teach you lessons so good that for example i haven't spent too much time for study at home because you can use all the things that you learn like in real life in shops or with your roommate. that way you can study. for next year i've already recommended ef to my friend who is learning japanese right now.

Tatiana

about ef china

Brittany

3 Weeks at EF Beijing

I recently just got back from spending 3 amazing weeks at EF Beijing. When i arrived in China i didn't know any Chinese and i was unsure of how much Chinese i could hope to learn in three weeks. The first week of class was a bit overwhelming since we jumped right into reading, writing and speaking in Chinese, but i stuck with it and studied on my own everyday after class. After a week i was caught up to the level of students in the beginner class who had been studying longer than me and at the end of my 3 weeks i'm proud to say that my Chinese language ability has improved enough for me to feel comfortable taking the HSK 2. Aside from the wonderful language program i would also like to say that the residence i stayed in was really great. My roommates were all extremely sweet and helpful and the location was perfect since it was only a 10 minute walk to school and about a 6 minute walk to the beautiful olympic stadium. On the way to school there were various restaurants and i was able to try a different food everyday. The trips were also incredible, ranging from the summer palace to the great wall and even when activities weren't planned, all the students would get together and go somewhere fun. In conclusion i would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is interested in learning Chinese, the school and the students are fantastic and living in Beijing was truly an experience of a lifetime :)

They have to make sure the transfer service is on time since they were late to pick me up when i first arrived. Also the spin classes offered for the intensive course were a bit to hard for a complete beginner to jump into and i think it would benefit them to split the spin classes by level.
Lee

Wonderful Memory In EF Beijing

There are so many good places in Beijing.
Also it's really safe in Beijing. So student can travel a lot of places.
And can speak chinese with so many people.
There are many foreigners don't know chinese but they can help each other.
And chinese food is amazing!! yuxiangrousi, tancuniurou, tangcuyu, xihongshichaojidan really nice!! you have to come and taste it!! |'m strongly recommend you to come Ef Beijing!!

Noemi

Having a great time

I am here in the EF Beijing School since 2 Month and I really like it! The Chinese culture is really interesting and completely different. The chinese hospitality is on a really high level, even if the living standards may are not that high,compared to Europe. It will definitely warm your heart when you see chinese people getting so happy when you try to talk in chinese. Learning chinese is actually not as hard as I expected and chinese people will help you to improve your language skills. So if you don't mind to have lower living standards, you will have a great time here in Beijing.

When the school gets bigger, more courses could be offered which would be a great opportunity for students and teachers at the same time.
Therese

My unique Beijing

My story starts when I first came to Beijing as a person who only could introduce myself in very simple chinese. I didn't know anything about the country than the info you get in school. But when I came here I met so much more than I ever thought possible. I met new friends, a new country but more importantly I met my new self. The person I am today, a person I dind't think I could become. Love it!

The students need more people to help them with something that doesn't concern school and this help needs to be better than it is. It is lacking a lot...
Hendrik

Statisfied customer

Having spend nearly on year at EF's foreigner School in amazing Beijing I can say: I'm able to communicat in chinese during my daily life, I have meet a lot of new friends from all over the world and I have also made many chinese friends. For my profesional life, I am now able to survive any chinese business dinner and I can take a more and more bigger part in negotiations with our chinese clinets and business partners.

The school itself has an perfect location close to Beijing's important Subway Line 5 and is situated in a modern building with a western coffe shop downstairs. All teachers speak a fairly good english and are doing a really good job in helping the students to master Chinese. If there was a problem I could always speak with the other stuff to find a solution for it.

Amanda

My first time abroad!

I had wanted to visit China for a long time, and the absolute best way to immerse yourself in the language and culture is by living with a host family. The host family I stayed with was actually my favorite part of the trip. They were incredibly welcoming and provided me with everything I needed and more, making sure I was comfortable in their house and outside of it, getting around in a foreign city by myself. When I didn't have classes they would even go out of their way to show me things around the city I would never have known about otherwise. They were like a second family and soon Beijing felt like a second home too. The school was conveniently located five minutes away from a subway stop and a street filled with places to eat between classes. (There's a lady there who sells the BEST milk tea.) The teachers are warm and accommodating, and make sure the level you're placed in is a good fit for you, and not too challenging. (Just make sure to get to your classes nice and early!) The school's guide was great, we always had activities to sign up for - everything from a day hiking the Great Wall to a three-day train trip across the country to Xi'an. I'd recommend you to do whatever you can fit into your schedule! It'll just add to the completely awesome and unique experience.

I wasn't aware that I could change levels after classes began and thought maybe the level I was initially placed in would get harder as I went, so I stayed in the class, even though it was slightly easy. When one of the teachers approached me on my third week out of five and asked if I wanted to try a harder level I immediately said yes, but I wish I had been offered the choice sooner. My last two weeks were the most challenging but also the weeks during which I learned the most. Maybe they could do weekly evaluations, and check in with the students to make sure everything is to their liking? For students who are maybe too shy to speak up or - like me - didn't know there was another option. I know one of my friends had an issue with her host family and didn't want to speak up because she didn't want to offend them, and I think if she had been directly asked how everything was going it would've been easier than approaching the staff and complaining. But other than that, the program was great.
Gregory

Incredible experience

I went to China for the first time in my life and spent two weeks in Beijing with loads of activities and things to see. I met some amazing people and the classes were really interesting, but unfortunately for me, I spent too much time on the social side than in class. I was put in a host family which was really far from everything, which meant that when I went out, I would have to either get the first train home or stay at a friends house; the taxi drivers would never want to take me as I think it was a bit too far out. But this was a few years back so things might have changed.

Location:
73 F / 41 F
Airports:
Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport
( SHA )

Shanghai is the largest city in mainland China and in the top 10 of most populous cities in the world. With the sheer amount of people that have relocated to Shanghai, you see a mix of different cultural influences, particularly in the architecture. Whether you are looking to travel or move to Shanghai, you will have plenty of opportunities but this city won't be slowing down on their growth anytime soon.

Staff Interviews

About EF International Language Campuses

The world is waiting. Learn a language abroad. See the world, experience a new culture, and make friends from around the world as you prepare for your global future. EF's fun and interactive classes help you learn faster while living the language...