During this four-week program, you’ll experience an intensive introduction to the Arabic language through immersion in Egyptian culture. You’ll live with an Egyptian host family, attend Arabic classes, and travel with fellow AFS students to cultural and historic sites around the country. Many experts say that you can’t fully learn a language unless you’re immersed in it; by attending classes and then coming home to use Arabic around the dinner table with your host family, you’ll have a unique opportunity to improve your skills in an accelerated learning environment.
AFS students have lived in communities all throughout Egypt, but you’ll likely be in an urban or suburban area. Past host communities have included Alexandria, Cairo, El Fayoum, El Menya, Giza, Ismailia, Port Said, and many others. Become a cultural insider in Egypt this summer with AFS!
- Immerse yourself in Arabic – the best way to become fluent.
- Sample elaborate Egyptian feasts including falafel, fried chickpea balls, and koshary, a dish of rice and lentils.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Egyptian culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.