Don Pedro Learn Spanish in Antigua Guatemala

As one of the oldest Spanish schools in Antigua, Don Pedro has discovered the ways to help students achieve better fluency as quickly as possible. We believe studying six hours a day with two teachers helps students cover both grammar and conversation. Because we want every student to meet their own goals, we allow them to create their own program. Some students choose to focus on Spanish for traveling, while others are preparing to move to a Spanish speaking country. Through our immersion style programs we believe that in six weeks you'll be able to understand the average Spanish person and participate in conversations on the street! To help with practical speaking we also organize a wide range of activities and encourage students to stay with host families.

• Instruction 9.8
THOMAS

In person in Antigua, Guatemala, and subsequently using Skype

I had 15 days of in-person, one-on-one instruction in Antigua in 2018. I found Don Pedro's program to be excellent. Both of my teachers, Mary and Cecilia, were great teachers: patient and tolerant of my many mistakes.
In 2020 I've been unable to travel, so I signed up for Skype lessons with Don Pedro. They have also worked out very well, and I have been able to maintain some degree of fluency while stuck at home. My Skype teacher is Maby Armira, and she is excellent as well. I figure one hour of Skype is roughly equivalent to 30 minutes of in-person instruction. Excellent value for the money!

Sandra

Don Alvarado Skype lessons

I’ve been having Skype lessons with Letty during Covid. I was worried when I first started as I hadn’t been to a Spanish class for 6 months. Letty immediately put me at ease! She is very patient but at the same time encouraging and I was soon in basic conversation with her. I am having two conversation lessons every week. We don’t spend much time on grammar but Letty explains anything I don’t understand by typing Spanish in chat and I can read up later. I am really pleased with the progress I am making with my conversation and can recommend Skype with Letty. I’’m hoping to go to Guatemala and have lessons with her in person!

Sophie

Fabulous program both in-person and virtually!

I have both been to the school in person and have been doing Skype calls with a teacher (Letty) from the school all throughout Covid to keep up my Spanish. The school is beautiful and very typically Guatemalan, and the Spanish is taught in a very easy to learn, non-intimidating way because you are mostly just chatting and having conversations with the maestras, who are all SO kind and easy to get along with. My whole family went to the school with me, and my brother and dad went back individually, that is how much we loved this school! My brother was 16 and went by himself living there for a month and really enjoyed it.

Do the option with as many hours of Spanish lessons in the day as you can, you will be amazed at how much you can absorb in an immersion environment.
Tali

Recommend!!!

I would definitely recommend Don Pedro! I am currently taking lessons via Skype due to covid19. The teaching is conversational and really helps you excel particularly in speaking/listening Spanish which I love! I’m currently getting 4 hours per week (my choice!) and I think it works really well for the current situation. I’m certainly learning a lot and enjoying it in the meantime! My teacher, Lety, is wonderful! I’m a complete beginner and she has been very patient with me, making me feel very comfortable while still pushing me to learn. Would definitely recommend these lessons!

John

Study in Guatemala and online

My wife and I spent some happy times in La Antigua studying at Don Pedro de Alvarado school, and I’m really getting on well now studying with them online. I’ve studied with Betty and various other teachers and found them friendly, knowledgeable and professional. My particular difficulty is listening, so we concentrate on that, but Betty doesn’t let me neglect other areas such as vocabulary and grammar. She sets me the right amount of homework to suit my schedule, and suggestions of online texts and videos. Recommended.

Ariel

Skype classes

My teacher Betty was very warm and made me feel comfortable from the start. She was easy to understand although she didn’t “dumb it down” for me.

We were able to cater our Skype classes to meet my need of becoming more conversational in Spanish as I prepared for seeking employment in the area of immigration advocacy. It was also a great opportunity to learn about Guatemala’s history and current politics climate.

We’d meet for 2 hours each class, sometimes up to three times a week, and the time flew by each time!

Peter

Great way to learn Spanish is lovely exciting Antigua

I have spent 2-3 weeks in Spanish schools in Peru, Colombia, Nicaragua and Ecuador, but believe that the best value for money, and most pleasant environment can be found at Don Pedro's in Antigua Guatemala. They only do one-on-one teaching - which I believe is the most efficient way to learn a second language - and the teachers are very pleasant and competent. Their afternoon site-seeing programs are always worthwhile, and they have a travel agency arrange for weekend excursions to see more of Guatemala.

During the lockdown, I am using their Skype teaching approach which works well.

Certainly highly recommended to anyone who wants to learn Spanish.

Go for the family-stay. You get to meet nice people, and speak in Spanish in regular family settings. Don't worry, you will be able to resort to English as there will likely to other English-speaking students living with your family as well.
Svetlana

Great online classes!

I've been taking online one-on-one Spanish classes at Don Pedro Spanish School for about a year now. I would recommend this school to anyone interested in learning or polishing their Spanish. My teacher Elizabeth has helped me a lot. She is an attentive listener, offers a flexible schedule, and has a caring instruction style. I am confident that Elizabeth can accommodate and effectively work with students with different goals and backgrounds. We have been focusing on conversation and auditory comprehension, as per my request, and I can't be happier with the results. All communication with the school and my teacher has been smooth and helpful.