Spanish Immersion in La Antigua, Guatemala!

Spanish Immersion in La Antigua, Guatemala!

Maximo Nivel offers our unique Native Spanish Program for intensive Spanish language training. Situated in beautiful Guatemala, Maximo Nivel is not a typical Spanish School. We are an executive language center offering the most intensive and effective Spanish courses in Latin America. We employ only the most experienced native Spanish instructors, all of them actual teachers—either certified in teaching Spanish as a foreign language or with their Bachelors and/or Masters in Education.

Please visit our website to learn more about our Native Spanish Program in Guatemala, and to apply directly online.

North America » Guatemala » Antigua
North America » Guatemala
Guesthouse
Hotel

Yes, it’s certainly worth it. You could opt for a program where you have classical (approx. 4 students per class) lessons in the morning (9AM-1PM) and return in the afternoon for individual classes (2PM-4PM), which would still leave you plenty of time to explore the town and its surroundings in the evenings and weekends. I did a 6-week stay in the summer of 2015 with only the classical lessons in...
My class size varied a bit during the six weeks I took Spanish lessons there (June/July 2015), but it was either 3 or 4 people including myself. The school itself is split up in two different buildings which are very close to each other (about 100m apart) and contain roughly 20 classrooms in total. One building has a nice garden, while the other one has a pleasant roof terrace. The atmosphere is g...
In our Native Spanish Program, all of our classes are taught by experienced, certified, native Spanish instructors.

• Instruction

Iva

Antigua Guatemala

It was great time here with very friendly and healpful team and the teacher was amazing. She try to do the best for help me with spanish. The class was very small which means that the teacher had a lots of time to explain us everything and also she took us on trip to macadamia farm where we had tour in spanish as well. So we could practice in real life. I have to say that I have only great experiences.

Audrey

First Time Studying Spanish Abroad from Fort Lauderdale/Miami, Florida

There are no words to describe how awesome this program is, as well as the location in Antigua, Guatemala. This was by far one of the best language and cultural learning experiences of my life. My only regret was that I did not book for a longer stay but since this was something I was doing for the first time and I came by myself I opted for a short time frame. I did the one week intensive Spanish Immersion Program with 4 hours of private instruction every day. 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. In addition, I opted to stay with a local Guatemalan family to futher enhance my learning and I was truly blessed with the most wonderful family. Finally, the school also offers many other daily activities and tours that you can sign up for to really experience the beauty of this country. I took a Salsa and Guatemalan cooking class. The school has a very well run and organized progam. The staff and teachers are AMAZING and willingly tailor to meet the needs of every single student. I highly recommend Maximo Nivel in Antigua. I plan on returning for a longer stay next time.

Everything was excellent. 100 STARS

RONAN
Ireland
St Mary's University College

Two week class in Antigua

The time I had at Maximo Nivel was spoiled by the unprofessionalism of the staff when I arrived. I was not informed of the meeting on the first day for induction at 7.30am, so when I arrived at 9am the staff were confused and asked me to come back for induction at 5.30pm. At this induction I was asked to complete a reading, writing, listening and speaking exam. After I completed the reading, writing and listening exam, the staff decided that I was at the most basic level of spanish, and due to the time of day, or their overall generall lack of effort, they did not even ask for a speaking exam. This meant I was given a book and a class for a basic learner, even though I have been studying spanish for 2 years.

My teachers during the classes were good and I have no complaints about them. But the people who run the program need to be a lot more professional. I would not recommend Maximo Nivel to any of my friends. To me, they seem more like a business, and less about the welfare or learning of theirm students.

Phillip

Learn Spanish Cheaply and with the Most Fun!

I simply loved this immersion program. I only did 2 weeks of both group and private classes and it helped a great deal for me to learn the language. I had no prior experience with the language and the 2 weeks has been able to get me where I can understand spanish if spoken slowly. I know if I stayed longer I would have left at least quite fluent at it. The lessons are super easy and fun to learn and the teachers are super patient and fun to interact with! The best experience I had in Guatemala was the immersion classes, I liked it more than the tourists spots in the country!

Gabriela

Spanish Classes in Antigua

I am spending six months in Antigua and I absolutely love it! Everything about this place makes me want to stay and never leave. The people, the city, the projects, and the Spanish lessons. I had the opportunity two experience class with two different teachers who definitely helped me to improve my Spanish skills and become more confident in my speaking. I took private lessons with Antonio and then with Margarta, they were both outstanding teachers who I will remember. Antonio gave me the confidence to speak and not be afraid to mess up what I say, as he helped to correct me. Margarita helped me broaden my vocabulary and build up my sentence structure. Both teachers have such amazing personailties and are there to do whatever it takes to help you succeed. I would highly recommend taking language lessons during your time, no mater what level you are at it will make a difference for the better.

It is great as is!

Marie

Maximo Nivel for Maximal goals

I came to Maximo Nivel at Alto Basico level and reached Intermediate level in 3.5 weeks. My expectations were high since I had little time. In conjunction with my work, the teacher's dedication and the front desk help and support, this has been an extremely productive stay. Everyone was super accessible and available to answer questions and/or respond to concerns/needs quickly. The school has extremely dynamic and outgoing employees. I will continue with online classes to maintain my levels of Spanish and looking into in the future to enroll in TEFL and/or volunteer work because I know I'm at the right place to make a difference along with my Friends at Maximo Nivel. I really felt the team's support and we worked together to make this happen! My kind of people!

Maximo Nivel has the all resources needed, students can expect high levels or professionalism and dedication, " just ask, you'll receive :)"

Meike

Great time in La Antigua at Maximo Nivel

I had a great time at Maximo Nivel in La Antigua!!!
I had two weeks of group classes with Sandra who is an experienced and very good teacher. I also had private classes with Margarita who is also a brilliant teacher.
Overall I can say that my Spanish has approved a lot. The teachers are wonderful and very supportive and the organisation is also very good.
Thank you again for everything and hasta pronto :)

Emily
Guatemala

Learning Spanish in Guatemala

I took Spanish in Antigua Guatemala and I loved it. My teacher was excellent and I learned more everyday and was able to not just write and read Spanish, but I was actually able to practice speaking a lot.
Anigua is a beautiful city and I loved studying Spanish with a view of the volcanos.
It is a difficult course and be prepared to study and work hard! but your teacher will be very helpful and also all the new friends you make here will be able to study with you along the way!

Rose
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Engaging Spanish Classes in Antigua

Over the past 2 months I´ve worked with 2 different Spanish teachers, Sandra & Aracely. Both were warm and friendly from the start. Learning Spanish from these women has been fun and rewarding. Across the months I´ve had to change my schedule around a few times, but Nancy was super helpful with accommodating my schedule. I also was able to enjoy a free Salsa class with a professional local salsa teacher after devouring a giant bowl of delicious guacamole. Highly recommend studying Spanish here at Maximo Nivel!!

Jenny

Great experience at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala

Antigua is a charming city to spend time in and get your feet wet on your trip to Central America. Maximo was very organized and program participation included airport pickup. I lived with a Guatemalan family and enjoyed the cultural exchange. This program doesn´t offer as many free activities in the afternoons as other programs, but it´s easy to find stuff to do in and around Antigua. I really enjoyed working with my teachers (Antonio and Sandra). They were always patient and enthusiastic and genually passionate about teaching. Overall, I had a great time at Maximo Nivel. Highly recommend studying Spanish here at Maximo Nivel!!

Nothing I can think of - the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The cost is higher than comparable programs but the support at Maximo is extensive.

Samantha
University of British Columbia

LEARN SPANISH IN ANTIGUA !!!

I have been studying Spanish here at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala for the past couple of weeks, and it has been a great experience. The staff that organize and run the programs are so welcoming, energetic, and fun! The instructors are very well educated, and they always incorporate different and fun learning experiences throughout each class. I have taken other Spanish language programs before, and by far this one has been the most immersive and exciting one!

Gillian

Spanish: Alto Basico

Throughout my seven weeks here, I took two weeks of private Spanish lessons. My first week I had Reyna as a teacher. Reyna is very approachable and friendly. The only issue I had with her, is that she was unable to answer the majority of my questions- whether it was an explanation or a definition- she did not know the answer. I had enough of a background where I was able to piece things together, but I should not have had to do that alone without the help of my teacher. On the other hand, during my second week of classes I had Sandra, and she was perfect. She knew enough English to help me understand why, and how everything was used. She was easy to talk to, and Spanish conversation came easily. We talked about ourselves, our interests, current politics in both America and Guatemala. Overall, she was a great teacher.

Ron

A wonderful immersive experience

Maximo Nivel's Antigua Guatemala spanish immersion program was a joy - it is well run, the staff is knowledgeable and fun, and it seemed like everyone at Maximo Nivel bent over backwards to make sure my stay was enjoyable and meaningful. My only minor complaint is the classrooms in building two can be challenging due to constant noise in the hallway. A minor issue overall. I will definitely go back and would strongly recommend the program to my friends and family.

partner with a different outfitter so students have a choice.

Jennifer

Good times at Maximo!

From the beginning, Maximo has been extremely helpful with all my questions about traveling to and around Guatemala. I am currently taking a group Spanish class at Maximo. I have an hour each day with Aracely and I'm having a great time. She is experienced and her energy makes learning Spanish fun! Through the group classes, I have improved my Spanish and met so many awesome people from all over the world. Let the adventure continue, adios!

Ed
Edward
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Great learning experience!

My wife and I are living in Guatemala for a year, so why not take advantage and learn Spanish while we are here! We were introduced to Maximo Nivel by a friend in Guatemala. From the first interactions, we were impressed with the professionalism, courtesy and flexibility offered by the office staff and teachers. Our learning experience is tailored to our personal availability and language skill level. The teachers are engaging, professional and inspire us to learn. Thank you Aracely and Mary for making language study a great experience for us! And Wally and Nancy for the great first impression, intro to the programs, scheduling, etc! We highly recommend Maximo Nivel!

Katy
Chicago
University of Minnesota

Awesome Experience!!

I came down to Antigua for a few weeks to learn Spanish and happened upon Maximo Nivel. I took a few hours of Spanish class every day I was here and absolutely LOVED IT!

The international office was super helpful. They immediately made me feel at home and were very friendly. Any time I had any questions they were able to help right away.

My Spanish teachers were also great. In a short amount of time they were able to assess my level of knowledge and cater to my skillset, while constantly pushing me to get better.

I'd recommend Maximo to anyone traveling to Antigua! Great program!

n/a

Katy

Awesome Experience!!

I came down to Antigua for a few weeks to learn Spanish and happened upon Maximo Nivel. I took a few hours of spanish class every day I was here and absolutely LOVED IT!

My spanish teachers were also great. In such a short time they were able to assess my level of knowledge and cater to my skillset, while constantly pushing me to get better.

I'd recommend Maximo to anyone traveling to Antigua! Great program!

Kim

Máximo Rocks!

I came to Guatemala in September 2016. It was my first time traveling on my own, let alone out of the country; needless to say, I was terrified! The whole plane ride, I was so nervous. But from the second I stepped out of the airport in Guatemala City up to this very moment, I have been completely taken care of by Máximo. Their helpful and kind staff has done everything in their power to make this experience awesome. From helping me find my way around and suggesting great restaurants, to having a doctor who can make house calls, to helping me plan my border run: if you want an immersive, enjoyable, unforgettable and safe experience in Guatemala, this is the place to go!

Christoph
Switzerland

They understood what I wanted

My intension was to improve my spanisch without much grammar, because I am involved in a NGO-Project in a slum in San Pedro Sula Honduras. Together with my teachers we always found interessting themes to discuss and during this discussions I learned much new words.
Many thanks to Rafael, Margarita and Teresa. The lessons with you passed extremely fast without breaks and Iearned so many things about Guatemala

Sally
New Zealand

Flexible and Fun for Families

We are a family of four with young children and very differing spanish language experience. The team at Maximo Nivel in Guatemala could not have been more creative and flexible when it came to providing different classes for all of us whilst still maintaining quality instruction and rigor. As an educator I was delighted to see the curriculum was open ended, accommodated the varying needs of the group and with the teachers encouraging spoken language (with generosity and humor) at all times, the experience was dynamic and effective. We were so sorry to leave after two weeks, we are coming back in the spring.

Genelle

Amazing Experience

I studied Spanish for 4 weeks in Antigua, Guatemala. I was so fortunate to be paired up with Mary for my 4 hr small group instruction in the mornings and Alejandra for my private 2 hour instruction from 4-6 pm. They were both extemely knowledgeable and their explainantions were clear. They were able to come up with relatable examples and kept the classes interesting. My teachers were warm, patient and very personable. My Spanish greatly improved and I have a wonderful time "in the classroom." I will never forget my two amazing teachers. I also stayed in the Aragon house for my homestay. The Aragons are a wonderful family that makes you feel right at home and part of the family. They cooked delicious meals and I had a great time getting to know them each evening at the dinner table. I also really appreciate the front office staff! They made sure I was comfortable and checked in with me throughout my stay. Thank you Maximo!

Ramata
Rutgers University

Excellent program overall

As a student for the past 2 weeks, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Maximo Nivel. My Spanish teachers Aracely and Mary have been extremely attentive and helpful. Aracely has a great positive energy that is contagious, and really makes learning worthwhile. Mary is an expert at making grammar understandable and simple. My homestay has been amazing as well. My host mom Elluvia is welcoming and has made me feel at home. I am glad that I picked this program because I have seen major improvements in my Spanish speaking ability.

The salsa and guac night is enjoyable, but it would be great if there were more social activities similar to it. Because I lived in a homestay, at times it was slightly harder to meet other students outside of class, whereas students in the volunteer house have more opportunities for interaction.

JuliAnn

Learn a lot quickly

I had 2 different Spanish teachers during my time at Maximo Nivel. One for private classes and the other for a a group. Both were amazing. It is crazy to see how fast my speaking and understanding skills have improved in such a short amount of time. When I was learning Spanish in high school, I really understood the grammar, but speaking had such little focus. Here my classes are completely in Spanish and I generally understand everything that is going on. Since I am here long term in Guatemala, I love learning Guatemaltequismos that I need to speak and understand Spanish with Guatemalans. The facilities are fantastic. As well as my teachers. I loved everything about my time improving my Spanish.

Laura

Spanish Lessons in Guatemala

It has been wonderful learning Spanish in Guatemala with Aracely for the past 3 months. I went from being Basic/Beginner level to being able to have 2 hour long conversations with her. The lessons are comprehensive and definitely helped me get the most out of my time at my project as well. I would definitely recommend the Spanish classes to anyone coming to Antigua,
Muchas gracias Aracely y Maximo Nivel, Guatemala!

Veronica

Spanish in Antigua

Muchas gracias Aracely y Maximo Nivel, Guatemala!

Ryan
Colorado
University of Colorado- Boulder

Learn with the best

So far I have been studying close to a month in the Spanish Immersion Program at Maximo Nivel, and have had an amazing experience. The teachers here are top notch, and provide you with with a knowledge of the language you can only receive from a native speaker. I studied for 6 years in the US and just couldn't get a firm grasp on the language. I feel like my comfort level and ease with the language has increased exponentially while working with the instructors here. You learn to speak in a comfortable conversational setting that is actually useful and comparable to something you would encounter in real life. The teachers are experienced, compassionate, and dedicated. Not only will you learn the language, you will learn about the culture, and make a friend.

Jacob
Guatemala
University of Minnesota

Great Experience in Antigua

Had a great time taking Spanish classes at Maximo in Antigua, Guatemala. Classes with Sandra were fun and I improved quickly. She was patient and very flexible to what I wanted to get out of the class and experience. Outside of class, Antigua is a wonderful place to visit or stay long term!

The facilities here at Maximo - Guatemala are top of the line and with my registration for classes included many perks such as the curriculmn, tutoring, tandem conversation opportunities, free salsa lessons, and beautiful views of the volcanos.

It was great!

Ann
Tampa, Florida
University of Florida

Spanish classes at Maximo in June

Staff are friendly and helpful. Teacher and materials excellent. Homestay with excellent cook who made our breakfasts and dinners. The other housemates spoke English which meant little practice at home but you work hard in class. So, a rest is more than welcome! Few complaints: very cold showers and sometimes electricity cuts off. Much rain during June. Be ready to get wet. The scenery is gorgeous. Best part of the trip: you meet people from all over the world and your Spanish will greatly improve. Thanks, Maximo!

Siobhan

Great teacher, great staff, great fun!

I started studying at Maximo Nivel initially for a few weeks when I was travelling in Latin America and I enjoyed it so much that I changed my itinerary so I could return to study for longer. My teachers have all been excellent, plus the school has many supporting activities such as a language exchange programme with local students and an onsite tutor to help with homework or general queries outside of your lesson. They also can help with housing, sightseeing and provide various fun social activities such as dancing and cooking classes. A huge plus are the office staff all of whom are really friendly and helpful. Nancy in the office is an absolute superstar and can help you out with anything at anytime. I highly recommend studying at Maximo if you are in Antigua.

Personally I would have liked more recommendations for audio resources but otherwise everything was really good.

Sarah

Spanish Immersion in Antigua

As someone with very little international experience, and zero study abroad experience, I really had no idea what to expect when I signed up with Maximo. I probably learned more Spanish in 3 weeks at Maximo than my 4 semesters at University. The teachers are all natives of the area and rarely speak english. The weekly salsa lessons were also a definite plus. Also really easy to meet friends here with all of the activities going on!

More vocabulary less grammar!

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language