SILAC: Short Intensive Language Acquisition Program

SILAC features high quality and personalized curriculum that has been developed over a period of decades, experienced and empathetic teaching staff, classes where the only mode of communication is the Japanese language. Enrollments are held every Thursday so it is easy to start studying at your earliest possible convenience.

To truly advance in one’s studies, being in an immersive environment where your chosen tongue is spoken exclusively is essential. However, it can be difficult for many to ‘drop everything’ and go overseas for a long period to do so. For this reason, the YAMASA Institute implemented the SILAC (Short Intensive Language Acquisition Course) Program in 2001 to help students who fit the description above.

• YAMASA has hosted students from more than 80 different countries in its 25 years of existence. This lingual diversity indirectly helps you to speak Japanese during your time here.
  • Students can participate in a range of events outside the classroom such as weekend tours to locations such as Kyoto, Shirakawa Go Village, as well as cultural workshops which teach Japanese past times such as calligraphy and tea ceremonies.
  • Class sizes do not exceed 16. This means you will receive sufficient attention from your teachers.
  • SILAC is focused on conversation. We give you maximum chances to speak Japanese during class.

• Instruction 10
Adam

Well run, great experience

I attended the SILAC program in early 2016. My background was a basic understanding of the Japanese alphabet and simple grammar. The teachers and staff were great, I never felt uncomfortable with my level or that I was falling behind. Small class sizes were helpful too. The housing was simple but it was clean and comfortable with an on-site caretaker. Okazaki is a lovely town and you can catch the train into Nagoya or to the mountains at Gifu for weekend sightseeing.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend Yamasa. After my three weeks I went travelling and it felt great to chat to people with real conversations as I went.