Standard Intensive Japanese Language Course in Kyoto

Visiting Fushimi Inari Shrine
Visiting Fushimi Inari Shrine
Having lunch together
Having lunch together
Graduation ceremony for a classmate!
Graduation ceremony for a classmate!

The Kyoto JaLS Standard Course includes 15 morning Japanese lessons every week that focus on speaking and day-to-day Japanese conversation. Classes are conducted entirely in Japanese and are limited to 8 people, which allows for plenty of individualized attention, time to ask questions, and practice speaking. We also have many Japanese volunteers who work around the school and participate in weekly activities, giving students the opportunity to improve their Japanese in a setting other than the classroom, make friends, and experience Japan from the inside – not just as a tourist.

Students can also attend 3 weekly optional activities. Enjoy all that Kyoto has to offer, including festivals and fireworks in the summer, or the famous temples in the surrounding area throughout the year! Join us any time and enjoy learning Japanese in the beautiful city of Kyoto!

• Small Classes.
  • Competitive Prices.
  • Flexibility.
  • Local Japanese Volunteers.
  • Amazing Location.

• Instruction 9.6
Noseong

JaLS Kyoto Review

It has been satisfying for 9 weeks. Everything was perfect and I was impressed by the support at the school. The teachers are kind of teaching and always try to let us understand well.

When I arrived I only understood how to read Horagana but now I can speak Japanese and express my feelings and opinions as well. Thanks to teachers I could speak Japanese.

In addition, the staff were also kind so that they let us know what Kyoto is like well. Thanks to the staff, I am now interested in Kyoto and Japan. I am company employee so that I want to work in Japan if I have an opportunity. With their support I could stay well in Japan.

I really recommend other people who are interested in Japanese to attend this school. Because I was satisfied with the school.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Kindness. Japanese people are really kind. School staff and teachers were always kind
Alexandria

Summer Program

For the beginning of this summer I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to complete an internship with Kyoto JaLS for 7 weeks. During this time I took Japanese classes, gained many skills through interning and experienced the wonderful culture of the area with new friends.

While in Kyoto, I lived in a sharehouse and absolutely loved it. My roommates and I always planned get togethers and would host things like pancake nights, curry night, omurice parties, and an okonomiyaki party. Life in the sharehouse made my time in Japan unforgettable- I will treasure the time I got to spend with all the amazing people I got to live with for 7 weeks! I definitely recommend living in a sharehouse because it’s a great way to engage with local people as well as fellow JaLS students.

One thing I really appreciated was how small the class sizes were, because it ensured personal attention from the instructors. All of my teachers were amazing! They made the classes more interactive by including learning games and challenged us to converse only in Japanese. The teachers and staff members were helpful, cooperative, and always available for any kind of support. Additionally, they created a friendly and welcoming environment which made me feel at home! :)

The activities organized by JaLS provided me with the opportunity to truly experience Japan on a deeper level, develop my Japanese, and make friends with other JaLS students and the locals. I became friends with many students from different parts of the world which allowed me to experience and learn about different cultures. Overall, my experience at JaLS was WONDERFUL, and I recommend it to those who want to experience Japanese culture while making incredible memories and gaining useful skills!

Maren

Kyoto's cultural experience through language

I came to Kyoto for the culture and historical sightseeing spots and stayed for the people.
In the three month, I took classes at JALS I could improve my Japanese drastically. The teachers at JALS were always very patient and, even though strict at times, they encourage their students to speak Japanese which makes learning a fun and rewarding experience.
Thanks to the teacher and staff, I was able to make friends by only using Japanese and was able to see parts of Kyoto's life that wouldn't be possible as a normal tourist. The love and support I received from the people here make this stay really unforgettable. Only heavy heartedly I will leave this city and JALS to venture for new experiences to other parts of Japan. But I'm sure, that someday I will return to Kyoto to visit all the friends one more time.

Having more free activities that brings Japanese and Jals students together
Lance

Stress-Free Learning in Kyoto

This is my second time at studying at JaLS and both times it has been fantastic for my Japanese studying. The teachers are very knowledgeable and friendly, and the atmosphere of the lounge is perfect for relaxing or studying. The activities provided by the school provide great opportunities to meet new people and practice Japanese. Kyoto JaLS is located in the heart of Kyoto, one of Japan's most historic and beautiful cities. Even outside of the classes and activities, the city itself is filled with so much history and culture. There is endless sightseeing and delicious food to eat. Aside from that, Kyoto is centrally located in Japan and weekend trips to other cities like Osaka and Kobe are very easy. If you are looking to learn Japanese in a casual, international environment in Kyoto, I highly recommend Kyoto JaLS.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would go for longer! I needed more time to truly experience Kyoto!
Josiah

Best Choice I Made

Living in Kyoto, going to Jaals every day for four weeks was not only one of the most important things that I have done in recent memory but it also drastically made a difference in my language learning abilities. From the onset of reaching out, they were very responsive.Once I got to Japan, they had me taxied from the airport straight to school and gave me direct support after the first day with detailed hand-drawn instructions and call support any time I needed it. Once I met my host family I felt right at home. We really connected
I share some of my most cherished memories with them. We spoke Japanese every day during breakfast and dinner and we even took weekend trips together. Without Jaals I wouldn't have the host stay experience that I had, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable, and I certainly wouldn't have learned Japanese as fast I did. Immersed in Japanese life is exhilarating, Jaals process and support make it seamless. They support you from the moment you apply to the moment you leave. The people's generosity, personal generosity, touches and warms my heart.
Once school started I easily found myself making friends in the international environment as well as getting very close with the professors. Whether you are here on vacation or before your study abroad experience, like I was, Kyoto Jaals was the best decision I could've made. They are efficient, incredibly friendly, and provide more than enough in every aspect. 10/10 would recommend.

Take a risk on a host family. Don't be afraid. If you genuinely don't like it Jaals can and will work with you to make a change. However, when I was first coming in I was so nervous about being with a host family. Maybe I was too old, that I wouldn't want to live under anyone else's rules. However, in reflection, moving in with a host family, was undoubtedly one of the most rewarding experience of my life in finding joy, experiencing the culture, and learning the language.
Cara

Fantastic course

I spent four weeks learning Japanese at Kyoto JaLS, taking part in the Winter Course. Not only did I improve my Japanese but I had such a great time and made friends for life. The staff were super supportive before, during and after the course and made it really easy for me to move to Kyoto. The atmosphere in the lounge is fantastic - the staff are always happy to talk (in Japanese and English if you need it) and it's great to have a relaxed study space available. It also creates a lovely community between everyone at JaLS, the Japanese students, English students, teachers and staff. The teachers are all lovely and have their different teaching styles, but they all make sure the students learn in a fun, easy-to-understand way. I really enjoyed the cultural activities too; I lived in Japan for 18 months before studying at JaLS but it was the first time I really immersed myself in traditional culture like tea ceremony and kimono. The housing arranged by the school was lovely and good value for money. I can't recommend JaLS enough.

Gucci

Learning Japanese

I had a 9 weeks course a JALS Kyoto, of which includes a cultural course and standard course. I went with zero knowledge of the language and the teachers were very patient with students. Even though they speak minimal English, I am still able to understand the lessons. The staffs were also very helpful to assist with the housing and school arrangements before I reach, and I felt that they have done a wonderful job given that this is the first time I have stayed in Japan for such a long duration. The staff were also very friendly and will always make sure that you are comfortable within the school premises and your stay. There were also after-school activities for students, of which include cultural activities or mini tours to places of interest within the prefecture. The school premises is also very modern with a cohesive space where you can do your work quietly without much disturbance. Overall, the experience at JALS is wonderful and I am glad to have meet new people from all around the world.

Ana

JaLS was the best!

I spent 8 weeks at JaLS in Kyoto studying Japanese. I had the most wonderful experience; it was everything I was hoping for and more! The staff are super friendly and helpful, the teachers are fun and the lounge is so cool! I had a lot of fun meeting new people and finding out about a different culture with the different activities they offer. They make parties for special occasions where you can meet Japanese people who are learning English, and speaking "lessons" where you meet Japanese people and play some fun games. The activities are so nice, I loved them all. It was so easy making lovely friends and the time just went by so fast!
It was an unforgettable experience and I strongly recommend it to everyone looking for learning more about the Japanese language, culture and people.
Thank you for everything JaLS! :)