Standard Intensive Japanese Language Course in Kyoto

Birthday surprise for the student
Birthday surprise for the student
Delicious meal with friendly teacher and friends
Delicious meal with friendly teacher and friends
Graduation ceremony for a classmate!
Graduation ceremony for a classmate!
Visiting Fushimi Inari Shrine
Visiting Fushimi Inari Shrine
Having lunch together
Having lunch together

The Kyoto JaLS Standard Course includes 15 morning Japanese lessons every week that focus on speaking and day-to-day Japanese conversation. Classes are conducted entirely in Japanese and are limited to 8 people, which allows for plenty of individualized attention, time to ask questions, and practice speaking. We also have many Japanese volunteers who work around the school and participate in weekly activities, giving students the opportunity to improve their Japanese in a setting other than the classroom, make friends, and experience Japan from the inside – not just as a tourist.

Students can also attend 3 weekly optional activities. Enjoy all that Kyoto has to offer, including festivals and fireworks in the summer, or the famous temples in the surrounding area throughout the year! Join us any time and enjoy learning Japanese in the beautiful city of Kyoto!

• Small Classes.
  • Competitive Prices.
  • Flexibility.
  • Local Japanese Volunteers.
  • Amazing Location.

• Instruction 9.6
Noseong

JaLS Kyoto Review

It has been satisfying for 9 weeks. Everything was perfect and I was impressed by the support at the school. The teachers are kind of teaching and always try to let us understand well.

When I arrived I only understood how to read Horagana but now I can speak Japanese and express my feelings and opinions as well. Thanks to teachers I could speak Japanese.

In addition, the staff were also kind so that they let us know what Kyoto is like well. Thanks to the staff, I am now interested in Kyoto and Japan. I am company employee so that I want to work in Japan if I have an opportunity. With their support I could stay well in Japan.

I really recommend other people who are interested in Japanese to attend this school. Because I was satisfied with the school.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Kindness. Japanese people are really kind. School staff and teachers were always kind
Alexandria

Summer Program

For the beginning of this summer I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to complete an internship with Kyoto JaLS for 7 weeks. During this time I took Japanese classes, gained many skills through interning and experienced the wonderful culture of the area with new friends.

While in Kyoto, I lived in a sharehouse and absolutely loved it. My roommates and I always planned get togethers and would host things like pancake nights, curry night, omurice parties, and an okonomiyaki party. Life in the sharehouse made my time in Japan unforgettable- I will treasure the time I got to spend with all the amazing people I got to live with for 7 weeks! I definitely recommend living in a sharehouse because it’s a great way to engage with local people as well as fellow JaLS students.

One thing I really appreciated was how small the class sizes were, because it ensured personal attention from the instructors. All of my teachers were amazing! They made the classes more interactive by including learning games and challenged us to converse only in Japanese. The teachers and staff members were helpful, cooperative, and always available for any kind of support. Additionally, they created a friendly and welcoming environment which made me feel at home! :)

The activities organized by JaLS provided me with the opportunity to truly experience Japan on a deeper level, develop my Japanese, and make friends with other JaLS students and the locals. I became friends with many students from different parts of the world which allowed me to experience and learn about different cultures. Overall, my experience at JaLS was WONDERFUL, and I recommend it to those who want to experience Japanese culture while making incredible memories and gaining useful skills!

Maren

Kyoto's cultural experience through language

I came to Kyoto for the culture and historical sightseeing spots and stayed for the people.
In the three month, I took classes at JALS I could improve my Japanese drastically. The teachers at JALS were always very patient and, even though strict at times, they encourage their students to speak Japanese which makes learning a fun and rewarding experience.
Thanks to the teacher and staff, I was able to make friends by only using Japanese and was able to see parts of Kyoto's life that wouldn't be possible as a normal tourist. The love and support I received from the people here make this stay really unforgettable. Only heavy heartedly I will leave this city and JALS to venture for new experiences to other parts of Japan. But I'm sure, that someday I will return to Kyoto to visit all the friends one more time.

Having more free activities that brings Japanese and Jals students together
Lance

Stress-Free Learning in Kyoto

This is my second time at studying at JaLS and both times it has been fantastic for my Japanese studying. The teachers are very knowledgeable and friendly, and the atmosphere of the lounge is perfect for relaxing or studying. The activities provided by the school provide great opportunities to meet new people and practice Japanese. Kyoto JaLS is located in the heart of Kyoto, one of Japan's most historic and beautiful cities. Even outside of the classes and activities, the city itself is filled with so much history and culture. There is endless sightseeing and delicious food to eat. Aside from that, Kyoto is centrally located in Japan and weekend trips to other cities like Osaka and Kobe are very easy. If you are looking to learn Japanese in a casual, international environment in Kyoto, I highly recommend Kyoto JaLS.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would go for longer! I needed more time to truly experience Kyoto!
Josiah

Best Choice I Made

Living in Kyoto, going to Jaals every day for four weeks was not only one of the most important things that I have done in recent memory but it also drastically made a difference in my language learning abilities. From the onset of reaching out, they were very responsive.Once I got to Japan, they had me taxied from the airport straight to school and gave me direct support after the first day with detailed hand-drawn instructions and call support any time I needed it. Once I met my host family I felt right at home. We really connected
I share some of my most cherished memories with them. We spoke Japanese every day during breakfast and dinner and we even took weekend trips together. Without Jaals I wouldn't have the host stay experience that I had, I wouldn't have felt as comfortable, and I certainly wouldn't have learned Japanese as fast I did. Immersed in Japanese life is exhilarating, Jaals process and support make it seamless. They support you from the moment you apply to the moment you leave. The people's generosity, personal generosity, touches and warms my heart.
Once school started I easily found myself making friends in the international environment as well as getting very close with the professors. Whether you are here on vacation or before your study abroad experience, like I was, Kyoto Jaals was the best decision I could've made. They are efficient, incredibly friendly, and provide more than enough in every aspect. 10/10 would recommend.

Take a risk on a host family. Don't be afraid. If you genuinely don't like it Jaals can and will work with you to make a change. However, when I was first coming in I was so nervous about being with a host family. Maybe I was too old, that I wouldn't want to live under anyone else's rules. However, in reflection, moving in with a host family, was undoubtedly one of the most rewarding experience of my life in finding joy, experiencing the culture, and learning the language.
Cara

Fantastic course

I spent four weeks learning Japanese at Kyoto JaLS, taking part in the Winter Course. Not only did I improve my Japanese but I had such a great time and made friends for life. The staff were super supportive before, during and after the course and made it really easy for me to move to Kyoto. The atmosphere in the lounge is fantastic - the staff are always happy to talk (in Japanese and English if you need it) and it's great to have a relaxed study space available. It also creates a lovely community between everyone at JaLS, the Japanese students, English students, teachers and staff. The teachers are all lovely and have their different teaching styles, but they all make sure the students learn in a fun, easy-to-understand way. I really enjoyed the cultural activities too; I lived in Japan for 18 months before studying at JaLS but it was the first time I really immersed myself in traditional culture like tea ceremony and kimono. The housing arranged by the school was lovely and good value for money. I can't recommend JaLS enough.

Gucci

Learning Japanese

I had a 9 weeks course a JALS Kyoto, of which includes a cultural course and standard course. I went with zero knowledge of the language and the teachers were very patient with students. Even though they speak minimal English, I am still able to understand the lessons. The staffs were also very helpful to assist with the housing and school arrangements before I reach, and I felt that they have done a wonderful job given that this is the first time I have stayed in Japan for such a long duration. The staff were also very friendly and will always make sure that you are comfortable within the school premises and your stay. There were also after-school activities for students, of which include cultural activities or mini tours to places of interest within the prefecture. The school premises is also very modern with a cohesive space where you can do your work quietly without much disturbance. Overall, the experience at JALS is wonderful and I am glad to have meet new people from all around the world.

Ana

JaLS was the best!

I spent 8 weeks at JaLS in Kyoto studying Japanese. I had the most wonderful experience; it was everything I was hoping for and more! The staff are super friendly and helpful, the teachers are fun and the lounge is so cool! I had a lot of fun meeting new people and finding out about a different culture with the different activities they offer. They make parties for special occasions where you can meet Japanese people who are learning English, and speaking "lessons" where you meet Japanese people and play some fun games. The activities are so nice, I loved them all. It was so easy making lovely friends and the time just went by so fast!
It was an unforgettable experience and I strongly recommend it to everyone looking for learning more about the Japanese language, culture and people.
Thank you for everything JaLS! :)

Miu Kuen

Memorable, fruitful and enjoyable experience with JALS

I spent 2 weeks in Jals as an absolute beginner. Being a slow learner, i didn't expect much from the course, in the end i feel amazed for managing to learn so much in 2 weeks, Hanagana, katakana and 4 chapters of the textbook. The teachers are all very patient and professional, the teaching materials are organised and well prepared, which helps us to learn Japanese efficiently and effectively.

Besides, the cultural courses from Jals are all very interesting and organised. i have joined several classes like the Taiko, mochi making, pottery class, sushi making and the outing to Shiga (an art exhibition). They were all amazing, i could experience Kyoto culture in a very relaxed and organised way. We were well taken care of in each activity, it allowed us is to experience Kyoto in a relaxed n organised way without the language barrier.

Last but not least, the staffs of Jals are extremely friendly and helpful, they are very professional and detail minded to arrange things for me, from accommodation to all the classes. It was a wonderful holiday in Kyoto!

Erin

The best way to experience Japan

The nicest Japanese school I have ever had the pleasure of attending(twice!!!) Yes I love it so much I had to go back for more! I attended Hokkaido Jals in 2017 and this year attended Kyoto Jals. With amazingly beautiful classrooms and cafe, an extensive Japanese curriculum to suit your Japanese level and a wealth of activities and opportunities to improve your Japanese Jals honestly has it all. For people who want to experience Japan, and I mean REALLY experience Japan more than your average tourist, Jals is a great place to start!

I had some amazingly fun cultural experiences at Jals, like temple visits, tofu making classes and many conversation classes/casual gatherings that I could have never had anywhere else. I was able to experience Japan on a deeper level, develop my Japanese and make friends with some lovely people along the way.

Whats more, I found the staff so friendly and accommodating. They went above and beyond to make sure that my stay, as well as that of all the other students, was fulfilling. The teachers as well were always checking in to make sure that the level of the classes suited us, if there was any other questions or problems we were having in regards to our stay in Japan and always did their best to make our classes as fun as possible!

Cannot recommend this place enough! If you haven't signed up you're already missing out people!

Terry

A great way to learn Japanese

I've spent 5 weeks at the JALS school in Kyoto. It's very personal and the staff is very friendly and always concerned about your wishes and they are very uncomplicated.

The location is very new and clean. The teachers were absolutely lovely and took there time to explain the theorie and practice it.
The Book at first was intimidating, because it was all in japanese, but you get used to it and maybe thats not even a bad thing, thats the way you learn it. I am currently using this book to continue to study japanese.

The school is very active in organising activities for everybody, and you can feel they are doing it with all there love and energy. There are only positive vibes at the school. They organise things such as making chopsticks, going to festivals, converstion afternoons and other japanese activities.

Elisa

Wonderful experience

I studied at the school for just to weeks, but it was totally worth it. Classes were fun and well structured and the teachers are great. Private classes were extremely useful as they cater to your interests. There are a lot of different activities, so there is something for everybody. The staff is really helpful and nice as well and make the experience even better. I would absolutely go there again

玟卉

Everydays is wonderful!

This is my first time that leave my home and go to other country by myself. I'm very excited! Japan is my favorite country.Kyoto have a lot of shrines,temples and landscapes,so I choose Kyoto.In Taiwan,I find UF Japan to arrange my schedule. In all school,JaLs's application information is most attractive.
First day I came to school,"wow it's so beautiful." I think.In JaLs everyone was very friendly to me.In a month I learned a lot of things and got a lot of experiences.
Although I encountered two typhoons,one was I go back to Taiwan.Airport was closed and flight was stop to fly,I stayed in Osaka four days.Patrick who is school's staff gave me a great help.
I'm very happy what I choose this school.Everydays is wonderful!

Silvia

I want to go there again!!

I spent two weeks at Kyoto JaLs in July and I felt welcome and comfortable from the beginning. The classes are small and the teachers are great! I learned a lot and had a lot of fun too. The organisation is very good and there are always on-site staff who are happy to help with any problems. There is a lot of opportunity to talk and exchange with other students and local people. The school also offers activities for the afternoon, some are a bit expensive, but definitely worth it, some are free. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay, my Japanese has improved a lot, I met very nice people from different countries and I would have liked to stay longer! In fact, I'm already thinking about when to go back to Kyoto ...

Elísabet

My month in Kyoto JaLS

This was my second time studying at JaLS and I loved it as much as I did the first time. I did try out a different language school in Japan in between, but I can say with full confidence that I prefered the study program better at JaLS. Each class does not go over 6 students per room, which means there is enough time for the teacher to focus on each student. You have two different teachers throughout the week, so the subject you are studying gets tackled from a different point of view, which I find very practical. JaLS staff are very quick to respond to you whenever you need something, whatever it is. I managed to lose my backpack with my wallet and all important possessions inside. JaLS staff went out of their way to talk to the police and provide them a phone number to contact in case the bag was found (thankfully it was). I’ve been to three cities in Japan and Kyoto, I’ve experienced, is the richest in culture so far. Overall my experience with JaLS has never disappointed me. They are involved with students and think about the students gain, but not what they could possibly gain from the student. I always graduate from JaLS with great memories and new friendships from all around the world, and JaLS students always find ways to meet each other again.

About JaLS Group

At Hokkaido Japanese Language School you can not only study the Japanese language, but also have fun and use Japanese in real life situations! We have small class sizes and flexible teaching styles, and we combine this style of study with a range of...