Kyoto JaLS Seasonal Courses

Courses offered in Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer

Courses offered in Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer!

Kyoto JaLS Seasonal Courses take our standard 15 Japanese lessons per week and add 2 traditional culture experiences per week for 6 weeks. Our students have the chance to have a variety of Japanese culture experiences, such as trying on kimono, making sushi, and participating in tea ceremonies. Japanese volunteers participate in many of these events, giving students the opportunity to improve their Japanese in a setting other than the classroom, make friends, and experience Japan from the inside – not just as a tourist.
Students also have the opportunity to attend 3 weekly optional activities to enjoy all that Kyoto has to offer, such as visiting world-famous temples in the surrounding area! Join us this season and enjoy learning Japanese in the beautiful city of Kyoto!

• Small Classes
  • Cultural Activities
  • Competitive Prices
  • Flexibility
  • Amazing Location

• Instruction 9.3
Hin Sing

Not a typical Japanese language school, but an amazing space for cultural exchange!

Kyoto JaLS is not just a Japanese language school. Instead, it has combined a café, study room, bookshop, and language school for Japanese students (especially English) along with the Japanese language school for foreigners. There was an activity every day after class, and both Japanese and foreigners were welcomed to participate in the activity. This made learning Japanese not only a school subject, but an authentic experience of interacting with the locals and exchanging cultures and ideas.

The concept of Kyoto JaLS as a space for people with different backgrounds sharing their ideas with other is amazing, not to mention the cozy environment (including the classrooms, study room, and café) and the friendly and helpful staff.

Concerning the Japanese language course, the teachers were very professional that my need was always satisfied and I never had to try hard to concentrate in class. The lessons focused much on conversation and every student had many opportunities to speak. Therefore, my speaking ability had improved a lot and now I am more confident to speak in Japanese.

To be honest, the course fee of Kyoto JaLS may be a bit more expensive than other schools. However, the quality of the course is worth the price considering the small class size and learning environment, which enhance the learning efficiency and motivation. If you do not want to waste time doing repetitive grammar exercises or getting bored during class, I would definitely recommend Kyoto JaLS to you.

Ouly

Amazing time in Kyoto!

What inspired you to go abroad?
I've always wanted to go to Japan. I enjoy traveling and learning about different cultures.

Why did you choose your specific program/organization?
I wanted a cultural experience along with an immersion program.

What was your favorite part about your host country/city?
It had a good balance of old architecture mixed with new.

What made your experience abroad unique?
It was set up in a way to help foreigners succeed.

How did local staff support you throughout your program?
They made housing arrangements and made sight seeing and restaurant recommendations.

What's one thing you wish you would have done differently?
The housing I stayed in was mixed gender and had chores. This was not the case for everyone. I would have preferred paying a fee and not having to worry about doing chores as it did take away from the experience a bit. Overall it was no big deal but would have made it nicer. I would also recommend staying the full 6 weeks rather than a month if possible.

Describe a typical day in the life of your program.
I made breakfast, went to classes in the morning from about 9:30 to 12:30. Then lunch followed by an activity organized by the school. I usually went back to the school with friends to do homework around 5:30 or 6 then dinner and maybe a couple hours out or back to my share house by around 8 or 9 pm. The last bus home was usually around 10:30 so I rarely went home later then that.

What did you enjoy doing in your free time?
Sight seeing, restaurants, going to izakayas and going for walks and desserts.

What was your accommodation like? What did you like best about it?
It was a share house with 4 other foreigners from all over. It was compartmentalized so your room could be locked.

What is one thing every participant should know before participating in your program?
If you are not willing to study and try to improve your language skills during your free time or do homework you will likely waste some money.

Now that you're home, how has your program abroad impacted your life?
My reading and writing in Japanese have improved and I am able to study a bit more on my own.

Would you recommend your program/provider to others? Why?
Yes, It is a great well rounded program.

It would be wonderful to have the option to have packages of 3 private lessons as an option rather than 6. Otherwise really wonderful.
Dominic

Kyoto JaLS Was a Trip to Remember

The trip was overall really fun and exciting. The activities that Kyoto JaLS had planned out let us experience many outlets of Japanese culture. We experienced the food, the entertainment, and the people. We were able to socialize with many Japanese locals and make many new connetions. The views and scenery of Kyoto are also very beautiful if you like to take photos. Would reccomend Kyoto JaLS to anyone that has the time and money to explore the world.

I know it is difficult, but if it's possible at all, to group more share house members together. That way they can spend more time together outside of class and activities.

About Kyoto JaLS

At Kyoto JaLS you will not only study the Japanese language, but also have fun and use Japanese in real life situations! We have small class sizes and flexible teaching styles, and incorporate a range of cultural and social activities into our...