This four-week program is designed to provide an intensive Japanese language learning experience through both formal study and first-hand cultural experience through living with a Japanese host family. Throughout the course of the program you will receive 80 hours of Japanese language classes at a professional language school. You’ll also participate in many cultural activities such as ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement) and shodo (calligraphy) as well as attend sight-seeing trips to nearby historic locations.
Food is art in Japan, and your host family will most likely prepare some amazing meals. The Japanese diet consists largely of rice, noodles, fresh vegetables, fruit, meat (mostly pork and chicken) and seafood. You'll also have the chance to discover the culture of kawaii (a word used to describe everything cute and lovable), listen to J-Pop (Japanese Pop music), and explore the latest fashion trends!
It won't take long before you feel right at home in Japan!
- Immerse yourself in Japanese language - the best way to become fluent.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Japanese culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Explore Japan’s stunning landscapes, cityscapes, arts, and more. Savor sushi and umami flavors like ramen.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.