Spanish Immersion Program for Adults and Families

We are a small and friendly Spanish school with a homestay program in the south of Spain. Our family, with 2 experienced Spanish teachers, will make students feel at home and live a real Spanish immersion.

• Total immersion in Spanish language
• Over 12 hours Spanish a day
• Professional teachers
• All levels from beginner to advanced
• 4 students group
• Accommodation in Agualivar Spanish School
• A spectacular frontbeach villa
• 3 workshops a week
• Full board: breakfast, lunch and dinner with your teacher and Agualivar team.
• The opportunity to maximise your progress
• Special emphasis on listening, speaking & communication skills
• A specialised programme of study designed for each student
• Flexible dates. Start on any sunday
• Each teaching hour is a full 60 minutes
• Activities and excursions arranged according to your interests
• Visits to famous and interesting places
• Progress report, certificate and advice for future study

I can't remember for sure but I think it was about 1300 euros a week (that includes food and a private room) You can go on the website to book a course and it will show you - you don't actually have to book the course
There are two teachers at Agualivar, so the students can be divided by level. There are never more than four students and sometimes fewer so either your lessons will be private or you will be with another student at a similar level. It is possible to go for one week, but I would recommend going for at least two weeks if you want to make real progress. The family at Agualivar is so nice, and the...

• Instruction 9.8
Asif

What an incredible experience

Qué experiencia tan increíble! I cant recommend this Spanish immersion school highly enough. Not only did I improve my Spanish (from very little ) to a point where I could comfortably navigate myself around the beautiful towns of Andalucia, asking questions and understanding answers that would not have been possible before but I also felt I had made lifelong friends of the wonderfully kind, patient and generous family that runs la escuela Agualivar.

When I started to look for a Spanish immersion school I knew that I didn’t want classes in a college classroom instead I wanted a friendly, patient, and immersive atmosphere in a beautiful location that would force me to practice everything I was learning. So I enlisted the help of my good friend Google to try and track down my perfect school, and almost instantly the Agualivar school popped up and I immediately knew this was the place for me……… and how right I was.

The villa itself is beautifully located. Las maestras Fani and Eli are excellent and patient teachers who know how to make things clear even while only using Spanish (and other educational tools). The food, grown in their own huerta by Papa Jose and cooked by Mama Carmen, was outstanding in its freshness, variety and deliciousness. The workshops and field trips truly enhanced the whole experience.

So If youre looking for Spanish immersion in an almost vacation atmosphere with some of the nicest people on the planet … don’t think twice - choose The Agualivar school, you won’t regret it!

I cant think of anything really but I suppose workshops or field trips everyday would have been great (maybe too much though)
Emily

Outstanding Experience--Teaching, Setting and People

The program at Agualivar Spanish School far, far exceeded all expectations. I was able to "jump start" my Spanish studies with excellent teachers in a warm, lovely environment. The accommodations were luxurious, the food delicious and the setting (the farm and the sea) breathtaking.

Instruction addressed all learning styles : conversation at meals, visits to interesting places, classroom exercises and more. I very much appreciated the family's patience and support as I attempted to communicate. They could not have been more encouraging. I also very much enjoyed learning more about Spain itself through daily life and the small talk between classes at the villa. I've definitely been able to take away a plan for further study here at home.

Altogether a terrific experience.

Kristin

Two weeks in Malaga

The reviews are spot on: the hospitality of the family, the food, the surroundings, all true. It felt as much like a retreat from the busy world as a school. A place to slow down, take a deep breath, and look out over the Mediterranean sea before you. And of course, learn Spanish.
I was very impressed with the teaching and professionalism of both Eli and Fani. They were able to target areas that I needed to work on grammatically, and in such a small group I was able to ask as many questions as I needed to understand the concept completely. They even went out of their way to help me with the pronunciation of some words that have been giving me trouble for years, it was really helpful!
But it didn't stop there. I spoke Spanish after class, during lunch, excursions, dinner, and everywhere in between. The entire family was exceptionally patient, letting me finish my sentences and thoughts (which can take a while in another language!). They welcomed me into their family and I felt right at home. I definitely hope to return again. There is nothing quite as helpful as immersion in learning a language, and Agualivar is doing a great job of providing it!

Not an improvement but an additional note- the school is located outside of the city of Malaga in a small village, it's very peaceful! You must take a bus or taxi to get to larger towns. This was perfect for me, and I wouldn't change a thing, just something to be aware of if you are more of a night owl and are hoping for some nightlife nearby.
Almut

Forget other Spanish language/immersion schools

I am sure that this is the best place on the planet to study Spanish. After 3 booked weeks I was able to tag on 2 more. I learned a ton while having the best time of my life... The entire family lives for their students and each of them go way beyond the call of duty. You will find a new family and home here. Top quality and personalized classes, non-stop effort 24/7 by excellent, passionate, caring and up-beat instructors - Eli & Fani. Kindness and Love from everyone, including Carmen & Pepe (parents). Gorgeous place, great location, food out of this world, wonderful activities and excursions. In 5 weeks I couldn't think of anything they could improve. You can come with the highest expectations and they will exceed it! No comparison to any other language school/immersion place. Only trouble is that it's addictive and you'll want to come back over and over again! Muchas gracias a mi familia espanola :)

It's perfect as is.
Kristen

Learn Spanish in Paradise

This is truly a unique and memorable experience. Elisabeth, Estefania, and their parents, Carmen and Pepe, go above and beyond to make sure you have a great stay. Their home is beautiful and extremely comfortable. Learning Spanish while gazing at the Mediterranean Sea is quite the classroom.

Each day we had formal lessons and an afternoon activity which was customized based on my interests. I learned much more than conjugations and vocabulary words; they teach you about their culture, history, politics and my favorite part - la comida! The food is absolutely amazing and fresh made with ingredients from their acres of fruit trees and impressive garden.

Their passion for life and learning is contagious! I highly recommend Agualivar!

Aya

Excellent and effective full immersion program!

Agualiver school was a perfect school for me. This full immersion program was just as I imagined and hoped for. I feel very lucky that I found this school and appreciate Carmen and Jose for their warm welcome, and Estefania and Elizabeth for their hospitality and great efforts in teaching Spanish.
I almost never had a chance to speak Spanish in Japan and decided to take one-week trip to improve my Spanish. At that time, I didn't even know the idea of "full immersion study". I encountered the idea just when I started to think "Can I really improve my Spanish just by taking 2 or 3 lessons a day in Spain, and not speaking at all after classes?" (Maybe only at a coffee shop or something)
Then, I found a full immersion program. This is a very effective way to improve your Spanish skill. At Agualiver, both teachers explain everything in Spanish whether in the classroom or in the kitchen but make sure you understand it. After classes, you can help them prepare lunch or dinner if you like, enjoy delicious food and conversation with both teachers and their parents, relax in the beautiful house, and sometimes visit a sightseeing area with teachers. While you enjoy the life in Spain, you also keep learning Spanish at all times. Both teachers are always there to help you speak Spanish.
Moreover, food in Agualiver is excellent! Many vegetables and fruits are from their own garden. In addition, there are great cooks at Agualiver. I enjoyed every meal and also seeing how they prepare food.
I stayed there only one week (really wished to have one more week), but I think I could improve my Spanish more than I expected. On the last day in Malaga, I could enjoy a small conversation in Spanish with a hotel receptionist and other persons at shops and restaurants.
I chose Agualiver because this is the only school that allows me to start from Thursday while most schools provide classes on the Monday-to-Friday basis. Without Agualiver, I couldn't even try a full immersion study. I really appreciate them for everything, and hope to visit there again.

Doug

Spanish With Heart

My wife and I had the opportunity to study Spanish together at Agualivar. The daily classwork and all day use of what we were being taught was incredible.
Spanish immersion at Agualivar included more than language. We became acquainted with a wonderful family and with Spanish culture. Everything was perfect. The more than perfect meals were a bonus.
If you want to learn Spanish, I recommend Spain and, without hesitation, I recommend Agualivar!

Robert

Extraordinary Setting, Wonderful Teachers

I cannot imagine a better place, or a better way, to study Spanish. First and foremost, both Estefania and Elizabeth are warm, caring, energetic and conscientious teachers. The morning classes are serious and intensive, but a lot of fun. The rest of the day provides a continuous opportunity to speak and listen to Spanish. The leisurely lunches and dinners allow for relaxed and informal conversation with Estefania, Elizabeth, their parents, and any other students who may be there. Living at Agualivar is delightful. The beautiful house is surrounded by orchards and gardens and so the food is always fresh and beautifully prepared. The sisters and their mother are all extraordinary cooks; they produce wonderful meals every day. After two weeks at Agualivar I feel that my Spanish has improved significantly and that I have friends in Spain. My experience has left me more motivated than ever to learn the language. I recommend this program without reservation.

John

Agualivar Spanish School: Total Immersion Course

The Agualivar Spanish School was exactly what I had hoped for and I can’t recommend it too highly. The welcoming family environment, amazing food and fantastic views made my stay a complete pleasure. In the morning classroom sessions Estefania and Elisabeth worked on my (considerable) difficulties with grammar, reinforcing the information with role play and language games. They also designed the lessons around topics which interested me, and it’s hard not to talk a lot when you are having an interesting discussion. My main aim had been to improve my spoken Spanish and the total immersion course was perfect for that. Like many learners I have had very little opportunity to speak Spanish with native speakers, and I was very nervous about being able to cope in Spanish for a whole week, but I can honestly say I spoke only a handful of words in English during my stay. I spent a day in Malaga after the course, and, when I spoke to receptionists, shopkeepers, waiters etc. in Spanish, for the first time ever they didn’t immediately switch to English - what’s more, I was able to understand their replies!

William

A very pleasant and productive week!

Having only dabbled in Spanish in the nine years since I last studied it, I chose to go to Agualivar for a week to get up to speed ahead of taking regular lessons back home. I'm very glad I did. The teaching is really, really, really good. Your weaknesses and development areas are identified before you arrive and they are addressed using the topics that interest you and the vocabulary associated with them - it is a really effective way to learn. The techniques that the Eli and Fani use are really fun and engaging. The fact that you are living with a Spanish family, eating Spanish food, watching Spanish TV and listening to Spanish music means that you never really stop learning even when it doesn't feel like it. The immersion is so total that you will find yourself speaking Spanish sometimes without thinking about it. On the flight home I started chatting to the (very clearly English) air steward in Spanish, much to his bewilderment, before I realised what I was doing. Since I've been back my wife has fairly regularly had to remind me that she doesn't speak Spanish and therefore would I mind speaking English to her! The experience gives you a great deal of confidence to use the language naturally in a way that you can't learn in a non Spanish speaking environment. I think it really accelerates your learning, particularly if you have some knowledge before you go.

Aside from the learning aspect, all of the family are great characters, fantastic company and extremely generous and hospitable. The house and accommodation are beautiful, the surroundings are utterly idyllic and the food is sensational. I heartily recommend this experience on all fronts, my only regret is not going for longer!

Elina

Learning Spanish in Amazing Environment

Agualivar Spanish School is not an ordinary language school. It is a family-run school located in a luxurious villa in queit and relaxing environment with the amazing view over the sea. The special touch is created by the warmth of the family towards their students. The daughters are providing tailor-made classes for your needs and the parents are creating the framework for an amazing learning experience. You feel immediately at home with them. The approach of including the students in their everyday life enables you to see the Spanish life and learn the language at the same time. By sharing all your meals with the family you are (gently) forced to switch your brain into Spanish mode while enjoying their lovely company and amazing food - expect to gain some weight as you are not able to say no to the mother of the family and their delicious food!
I can warmly recommend Agualivar School to anyone who would like to have an intensive Spanish course in a relaxing environment. It was an experience that I will never forget!

The only recommendation for improving the program is to encourage the teachers to improve their English - not that the students could speak English with them, but for them to better undertand the differences between Spanish and English. This would help them to analyse the language better and adjust the teaching, for example when providing tailor-made vocabulary for students with special wishes.
Response from Agualivar Spanish School

¡Hola Elina! Your words are incredible! Thank you so much! I translated your review to Carmen and your words have moved her! :) We are so happy to know your Spanish immersion was what you expected. Thank you for choosing us and Thank you for your recommendations! You know we keep improving our English but sometimes it is difficult to have the time or the chance to practice it. (Because we cannot speak English with our immersion students) :) We know we have to improve that and we are happy to keep studying! Thank you Elina! We hope everything goes great!! Kisses from Agualivar Family!

Barbara

Agualivar - a Unique Learning Experience

I chose Agualivar because of the setting in a family home where you experience total immersion. The only language spoken was Spanish during the week that I lived with this amazing family. I was included in conversations and treated like a valued member of the family. The first afternoon was a struggle to understand, but, by the end of my stay, it was much easier to follow conversations.
I had the opportunity to have private lessons as I was the only student for the week. The lessons were excellent and geared to my level of understanding. We had wonderful discussions, made up stories, and played games in Spanish.
As part of the family, I was able to participate in the kitchen and had all my meals at the family table participating in the conversations. We discussed American and Spanish politics, culture, family, and anything else that came up. I was also included in evening games - playing bannanagram in Spanish is challenging - Rummy with tiles instead of cards is actually more fun and challenges the brain.
Thank you, Fani, Eli, Carmen, and Jose for a unique learning experience.

I did a test prior to coming to the school to determine my understanding of Spanish so they could plan the lessons. I would have like to have repeated that test at the end of the week and then gone over it with the teachers.
Response from Agualivar Spanish School

¡Hola Bárbara! Muchas gracias por tus palabras. Thank you so much for your words. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your Spanish immersion with Agualivar. And thank you so much for your recommendations about the level test. We have already incorporated your improvement! And I will send you an email these days with the level test besides a Skype appointment to discuss your progress! :) We are sure your proposal is going to be a great improvement for Agualivar! Thank you!! ;)

Paula

One Week stay in Andalucia

I was lucky enough to choose Agualivar Immersion School for my one-week stay in Andalucia. I had looked at other models and felt the total immersion while living with a family would be the most beneficial for me. And I was right!!
Estefania and Elizabeth are excellent teachers and customized lessons according to your ability and conversational ability. I loved the outdoor classroom on the terrace overlooking the infinity pool and Mediterranean.
The hospitality of the family was wonderful.... Carmen and Jose just brought you into the family and we helped with food prep, etc all the while continuing to speak Spanish. Our meals were all typical Andalucian meals which I thoroughly enjoyed...... fresh fruit and vegetables from the garden/orchard. And fresh fish, a true Mediterranean diet, wonderfully healthy !!
After siesta we would have cultural workshops or visit local villages (Frigiliana) , all the while learning about Andalucian lifestyle, culture, government. I felt like I learned so much more than just language, I learnt how a Spanish family works within itself, community and country.
My experience at Agualivar was short ( I wish I could have stayed an extra week!) but really quite unforgettable.
I would love to return at some point.

Response from Agualivar Spanish School

Thank you so much Paula for your words!! We are so happy to know your experience was great with us. We all hope you find well and hope to see you again very soon! :)

Elizabeth

Better Than I Could Have Imagined!

What an amazing experience! I admit, even though I was excited to attend immersion school, I was a little nervous at the idea of living with another family for two weeks. But immediately upon arrival, Eli, Fani, Carmen, and Jose did everything in their power to make me feel welcome. And it worked! I was immediately ushered into the family and into a very comfortable, encouraging environment. The classes in the mornings were highly informative focusing not only on language but also on culture, heritage, and even social issues. Early afternoons usually allowed for some free time (or time to study), then outings were planned for most late afternoons/early evenings. Our visits included Nerja, Frigiliana, Bodegas Bentomiz, and Rincon de la Victoria.

In addition to the classes and extra activities, the skill exhibited by Carmen and Fani in the kitchen was incredible. And Jose is great at the grill! Everything was so fresh and absolutely delicious. I believe I may have eaten in a healthier style during my two weeks at Agualivar than I have ever eaten in my life--and actually gained weight. . .

Finally, the accommodations were superb. There was plenty of privacy when desired but lots of company to be found at all times. The house and grounds are beautiful and act as a peaceful oasis overlooking the Mediterranean. It is truly a school with heart. As I stated before, everything was better than I could have imagined!!

I honestly don't know!
Response from Agualivar Spanish School

Guauuuuu Elizabeth!!! ¡Muchas gracias por tus palabras! Sabes que Carmen estará muy contenta de que hayas ganado un poco de peso... ;) Te echamos de menos en nuestras partidas de rummy por las noches... ¡Esperamos verte muy pronto!

Thank you so so much! I don't have words in English to thank you all the thing we learnt from you, the great experience to share those 2 weeks and your help with your review! Thanks!!

Sandra

Fantastic week with two amazing teachers

Our family, including an 11 year old and a 10 year old, spent a wonderful week at Agualivar. From the pick up at the Malaga train station we spoke only Spanish and we learned an enormous amount informally and during the lessons over just one week. The teaching and learning environment was supportive, well structured and fun (especially for the kids) and the extracurricular excursions to Nerja and Frigiliana were fascinating as well. The physical environment in the home of our teachers was faultless. The entire family was welcoming and friendly. We had privacy, we had company, we had a pool, we had wifi, we had kids' games in Spanish, we had down time, we had meals all together enjoying fabulous homecooked meals, vegetables from the extensive garden and recipes typical of the region (some of which we learned to cook ourselves). Our teachers were both really skilled and really lovely. The lessons were pitched at exactly the right level for our two groups: kids and adults. We switched teachers midway through the morning so there was variety of material and approach. Our children went into the week with next to no Spanish and made enormous progress and clearly had fun doing it. We all laughed continuously throughout the week and could not have asked for a better Spanish homestay immersion experience. One of our outings was to the wonderful Inacua 50m pool in Malaga so our daughter could have a proper training sesson - that was much appreciated and very generous and kind. The conversations we managed to have in Spanish were broad ranging and interesting and we learned a lot about Spanish culture, politics, history and economy. We cannot recommend Agualivar more highly.

This program exceeded our expectations.

About Agualivar Spanish School

Agualivar is a small and family-run school and offers Spanish immersion courses for families and adults.

Students can learn Spanish successfully, intensively and rapidly by living and studying in our own house. You will be welcomed into Agualivar...