ISA Study Abroad: Photography Course in Australia

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from ISA (International Studies Abroad).

Study with ISA in the Outback
Study with ISA in the Outback
Study Abroad in Australia with ISA
Study Abroad in Australia with ISA
ISA Study Abroad Programs
ISA Study Abroad Programs

ISA offers the chance to study with La Trobe University and take a photographic journey through the Australian Outback. This 3-week program involves lectures, photography workshops, and a 6-day Australian Outback adventure that ends in an exhibition of the students' photographs. Step outside of your home country to take breathtaking photos of amazing sights and wildlife that you cannot see anywhere else in the world. Check out the ISA website for more details!

ISA Scholarships
ISA Scholarships and Financial Aid

ISA is committed to increasing all students’ access to study abroad’s many benefits. We don't let financial hardships to get in the way of a life changing educational experience.

$350 - $2,000

Jessica

Great Course for Beginner Photographers

This course was an extremely good experience. The staff and teachers were super helpful and supportive. The living accommodations were not the best, but not too bad. I wish that more time was spent in the outback rather than in Mildura, the "home base" of La Trobe Uni. I made some really good connections and made some friends along the way. This program ended up being completely different than I expected and that is part of the beauty of it. I would recommend this program to my peers, but I would advise them to make plans to extend their trip and travel to other parts of the country while they are in Australia.

Better living arrangements not with backpackers; it had its pros and cons. More time camping in outback. Less time spent in classroom.
GabCrespo

The best (and most affordable) souvenir.

Perhaps the most treasured souvenir I brought back to the United States with me, was the visual journal that I was required to keep as per my course syllabus. At first, our group of 20 were a little wary of the whole process of taking time out of the day to re-cap and reflect, but once the first few pages were no longer blank, there was no stopping the magazine cut-outs, the endless collections of pamphlets, brochures, and menus from places we've been, and soon our glue sticks had run dry.

Everyone had a different take on what their journal would contain and represent. I created my journal specifically for the ease of explaining my adventures to friends and family upon my return to the US, sparing only a few details. How many times have you gone on a vacation and people ask you what you did, and you have absolutely no idea where to start? You simply respond with something like "Oh, it was great!" and kind of leave it at that. For me and my hungry-for-details family, the journal was a perfect little picture book, where when I would flip through it, the pages would come to life and spark a new story for me to show and tell.

-Here's a picture of the Apostle birds we saw (and heard) everywhere in the outback.
-Here's a drawing of what the buttons on the toilets look like. Did you know there's two of them?!
-Here are some photography notes that I took during our lectures.
-Here's a list of the fun Aussie terms we have heard: Cheers! Howyagoin? I'll have a dog's eye with dead horse, thank you.
-Here's an original pastel drawing that our Aboriginal guide made for me...he did a different one in every single person's journal. (That's my favorite page.)

All in all, this course and the experiences that it offers were completely captured through my minds eye and into my journal for safekeeping, and I thank the professors for showing us just how important our own documentation of our experiences is.

Location:
Melbourne Airport
( MEL )
Brisbane Airport
( BNE )

Australia, being one of the largest countries by land area, has a wide variety of climates and regions like the desert, the bush, beaches, and the outback. Australia is regarded as one of the most livable countries. Where else can you go to see 10,685 beaches, more than 500 national parks, and 8,222 islands?

About ISA (International Studies Abroad)

As a leader in international education for thirty years, ISA is dedicated to providing university and college level students the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education...