ISA Study Abroad in Florence, Italy

ISA Study Abroad in Florence, Italy

Study abroad in Florence, Italy at the Florence University of the Arts (FUA) and Apicius International School of Hospitality (AISH) or at the New York Film Academy (NYFA). Students will spend time mastering their artistry in one of the most diverse artistic cities in the world in so many facets. They will explore all of the history and architecture that Florence has in store to get a lifetime worth of inspiration.

ISA offers excursions that are included in the program cost. Destinations include Rome, Cinque Terre, Siena, and central Italy. Students will immerse themselves in the culture of Italy during an amazing semester or summer abroad. Check out the ISA website for all the details!

Europe » Italy » Florence
• Scholarship Opportunities

Dena
Springfield, MA

How to Have an Amazing Experience

The experiences I had and the friendships I made were more significant that I could ever imagine. The excursions offered with the program allowed me to travel with my new friends without the pressures of having to plan the trips myself. The courses I took were unlike anything I've ever taken in America, I went on class trips and gave performances. I took cultures and opera. I could go on for hours about my amazing host mom. I strongly suggest living with a host family because it just adds a whole other level to your trip. I learned the language, had homemade meals, and met so many people. I wish I could go back everyday. I miss the city filled with so much art, beauty, history, and love. If you want a memorable study abroad experience this is the program you need to take.

I would say this program needs to change the amount of free time the students have because there are so many excursions that there isn't much other free time except after class.

Lynn
South Dakota State University

Best Decision of My Life

I only spent three weeks in Florence but they were by far some of the best weeks of my life. I met amazing people and also had amazing experiences. I took an Italian wine and culture class. Going in, I knew nothing about wine, but now I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable. My teacher did a great job. We went on a field trip one day to Montepulciano and Pienza. ISA provided excursions to Cinque Terre and Rome. Both trips were amazing! Some of my friends and I also did some traveling on our own. Traveling around the country is very easy. We went to Pisa, Viareggio, and Venice, although I wouldn't suggest going to Viareggio if you don't know any Italian. My apartment was in the same building as the ISA office and was a one minute walk from Ponte Vecchio. Being so close to the city center was amazing and I immersed myself in the culture as much as I could! I would do it again in a heart beat!

Leah
Tempe, Arizona
Arizona State University

The best experience of my life!!

Studying abroad in Florence with ISA was the best decision I could have made. The staff in both America and Italy were warm, welcoming, and extremely helpful. The trips provided by ISA (which were many- both weekend and day trips) were not only well planned and educational ( depending on the trip), but a great time to explore different areas of Italy, and learn more about the country you chose to study. The program offers a language exchange where you can be teamed up with an Italian student and practice your Italian and help them with their English. The staff is always willing to help with anything you need from housing concerns to printing a document. I can't express enough how wonderful the women that work at the ISA office in Florence are, they really make you feel at home. Walking everywhere is a bonus, you get to see all of the wonderful sites in Florence, and discover hidden gems. Plus your located close to FUA (the school you will be studying at) and my apartment specifically was extremely authentic and made me feel even more part of the Italian culture. Also, I cannot forget to mention GELATO AND PIZZA are the greatest things ever along with tons of other Italian dishes- and I would go to Pino's sandwich shop- the bomb. This experience was amazing and I highly suggest using ISA - never had one problem during my 4 months abroad, great program, great staff, and fantastic memories!!!!

The one thing I would change is having more icebreakers upon arriving to Florence- we were split into our apartments and it was a bit hard at first meeting other people! Other than that I would not change a thing.

Nicole
Blacksburg, VA
Virginia Tech

Firenze

Going abroad with ISA was a great decision. They provided us with activities do to a lot of the days we were there, and even planned excursions to Cinque Terre and an overnight trip to Rome. The ISA staff abroad was very helpful and were always around if you needed them. When my roommate got sick, the staff made her a doctors appointment and walked us there so we wouldn't get lost. The only difficulty I had while abroad was getting lost in the city. After a couple weeks I had learned where everything was and was able to find my way around. We had a very nice apartment in Florence, and I was able to make a lot of new friends that I will have forever. Living in another culture for a month was a great experience.

I wish that we had a longer tour of the city at the beginning of the program, because it took me a while to learn where everything was so I got lost a few times.

Rachael
Adrian, mi
Adrian College

My Florence experience

Studying abroad in Florence was one of the best decisions I've made while going to college. It was a chance for me to grow and to get to know myself and other people from not only the U.S. but also Italy. ISA gave me an experience I would have never expected. I expected the use of tours and guides to be boring but I found that the guides were so useful in learning about the places we visited and their history. It was like I was stepping into a part of history. My study abroad experience is one I can never forget and will be continuing to talk about it for the rest of my life.

Nothing that I can think of!

C.Ivery
Florence, Italy
Arizona State University

There are no adequate words to describe, but here's my try!

ISA Florence fostered the absolute best experience of my life! Although confusing at first, having students spend the first week in Rome with our roommates really made bonding and getting to know each other a lot easier. You also find out fast the program is about 90% girls. At FUA, classes are longer than at home (2.5 hours) but the teachers are incredible - studying Fashion Marketing with an actual french fashion designer? HELLO. Bring a couple notebooks, or a five star though because we all freaked out trying to find some and never really did. Books are a lot cheaper here also (maybe 30E for the semester). The nightlife is a lot of fun (way better than Rome although not as awesome as spain), going much later than what's normal at home. There are a lot of american bars with a lot of students and, if you make some italian friends, some really cool italian bars and clubs. And EVERYTHING is walking distance (be careful trying heels on the cobblestones!) and that's coming from someone who will cab it a mile. The food is absolutely incredible, of course, but trust me you will get sick of Italian 24/7 as there's not a lot of cusine variety. The included trips with ISA go to some really really awesome, insanely beautiful places but honestly for some I had more fun ditching the tour and walking the city with my friends. Overall, it was a life changing semester and I would recommend it to anyone especially if you love art or history.

Lyndsey
Tempe, Arizona
Internships Abroad

ISA FUA-Still Nostalgic Student

You know how people always say things like "this changed my life" or how "unforgettable" something was? I am positive if you were to ask any student who went abroad with ISA, those would be one of many words they would use to describe their experiences.

I knew exactly where I wanted to go before I even began searching for my study abroad options, and that was Florence, Italy. And the program that offered the courses I needed to take to stay on track with my major was ISA. Before I left, I did take a semester of Italian 101, but that was just the basics. With ISA I was able to take all of my classes in English, and was able to get by very easily on a day-to-day basis with my broken Italian and miming.

This led to me studying abroad with ISA in Florence, Italy for two months during the summer of 2010. While there I took two classes (6 credits) at Florence University of the Arts (FUA). My academic schedule was set up so that the first three weeks of my program I would take one of the courses I picked, then had a week long break, and for the last three weeks I took the other course I had selected. Class was Monday thru Friday for about two and a half hours each day. It was intensive study because it was during the summer, however I never felt bogged down by school work and had plenty of time each week to spend time with friends, enjoy meals with them, go out at night, explore the city and travel on the weekends.

I lived in an apartment with four other girls that were a part of my program who were from all over the US. Being in this kind of living situation (with more girls from our program next door) led to me coming home with ten new best friends; or as I call them, my Firenze Family. We now try to have reunions once a year which gives me more reason to explore the US. Our apartment was about a twenty minute walk from our classes, but that was not a problem at all-I was walking through history every day, and passed by local marketplaces and restaurants. It was one of the coolest parts of living in Florence.

My entire experience going abroad was a highlight, but here are a few that stand out:
-Italian food and wine. Need I say more?
-The ISA staff: both on-site in Florence and at headquarters in Austin always make themselves extremely available to their students. They make their job to make you as comfortable as possible in preparing to go abroad, while you are abroad, and keep in touch with you when you come back. I could not have asked for a better support system than the one that ISA provided.
-ISA Excursions and Traveling: I loved getting to see new parts of Italy every weekend that were just a train ride away. And being able to utilize my week break to travel and explore Spain.
-Again, getting to walk through history every day.
-Picnics at Piazzale Michelangelo.
-"Family" dinners with ISA friends.
-Going to the Palio in Siena.

....I will leave it at that because I know how lengthy this is becoming. You get the idea? I had an INCREDIBLE time and had a new highlight every day of my trip. The biggest struggle I had during my study abroad experience was leaving Florence. It was like going through a break-up, except with a place.

Since coming back I have found a passion in telling others about studying abroad and helping them to go abroad. I also have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be a Global Ambassador for ISA, and am also now a peer adviser in our university's Study Abroad Office. Thanks to all of these amazing experiences I am now extremely passionate about pursuing a career in the international education/travel industry.

Thank you ISA for all that you have done for me!

As a leader in international education for over twenty-five years, ISA is dedicated to providing university level students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education abroad programs across Africa,