Study abroad in Perth: Western Australia's Biodiversity Hotspot

$5000 a year scholarship

UWA is offering an automatic scholarship of $5000 per year to students who are members of the National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) that apply to study their full Bachelor's degree at UWA! UWA's undergraduate programs are only three years, and more and more Americans are choosing to study their degree at UWA to save time and money while earning a fantastic education.

The University of Western Australia, a Group of 8 university ("Australia's Ivy League") and the oldest university in the state of WA, is well-known for its programs and research related to ecology, biological science, marine science (#43 in the world, QS 2017), conservation biology, ecotourism and more.

With one campus in Perth and another in Albany (in the state's southwest), UWA is the perfect place to study the environment. In fact, 80% of the marine life in WA cannot be found anywhere else in the world, so it is the ideal lab!

Popular classes include: Saving Endangered Species, Global Climate Change and Biodiversity, Decision Strategies for Biodiversity Conservation and more.

And don't forget about the opportunity to do research with a professor, too. How about in The Western Australian Biodiversity Science Institute (WABSI), which aims to bring together a database for information about WA’s enormous variety of animals and plants!

UWA even accepts FAFSA loans, so apply now!

• Located in one of the world's only remaining biodiversity hotspots
  • Group of 8 university ("Australia's Ivy League")
  • "fieldwork focused" classes to get you out of the classroom and into the ideal living laboratory
  • UWA ranked #93 overall in the world (QS 2018)
  • Opportunity to do undergraduate research with a UWA professor

Felipe

Studying abroad at UWA

Studying and living in Perth in 2013 was a amazing experience. In the beggining I was afraid about the things I would face living abroad. Language barriers and different culture bothered me at first but with the help of english teachers and staff of CELT made me feel part of the community.
Undoubtedly UWA is welcoming environment. The university solved rapidy any request I have had, as well as, provided a safe place, gave access to many didatical resources and infrastructure that made the student experience in Studying Abroad program very satisfacting.
Also, durying the units we visited various instituitions of research and conservation in Western Australia, it showed the concern of this university to the environmental matters that are worldwide discussed, but in a practical and sucessful way.
I can not say any bad thing about UWA, for sure if I could have another oportunity to study again there, I would not think twice.

There is not too much promotion about this type of study in my country, so they would put more effort in this.
Vanessa

Best experience

My period in Australia started in the language course. This was very relevant in the period of adaptation and helped students to have a solid foundation in the new language to overcome the challenges of academic life. With that, I was able to enjoy my period in the university completely.
 Australia and Brazil have many differences and similarities. The lectures were fundamental for presenting the Australian view of issues present in my country. The best way is to move the experience from one country to another, as these examples have enriched the discussions during the subjects I did at UWA and also after returning. In that way, I was able to contribute to the growth of other students, so that they also understood how certain problems are treated in Australia and vice versa.
Future participants should take advantage of every moment of the program, as I did. For this, it is essential to have an open mind to absorb all the details of a new culture, of another way of thinking. It is also important to note that these students will be responsible for exchanging experiences between their countries of origin and Australia. Consequently, the spirit of cooperation must be present in their attitudes during and after the program. And the city of Perth is just amazing!

My experience was just perfect, which doesn't mean the program can't be improved, but for my point of view I have nothing to sugggest.
Paula

Best University in the World!

UWA experience was one of the best experience I had in my life. Beside Perth being a perfect city to live with incredible beaches, great weather and a lot of outdoor activities, the University has a great infrastructure, great professors and opportunities. The library (online and presencial) provides the more recent data, articles, books and reviews, if you can't find something you can just ask the librarian.

Marina

Greatest time of my life

UWA was a major part of my life-changing year. It was the greatest year of my life, when I could learn about new cultures and about myself. The units that I applied were great and the professors were amazing. I thank UWA every day for making me a better human being.
Beside that, Australia itself was an awesome country to live in. Perth was the city os my dreams and Fremantle the place I would love to call “home” in the future! And I could visit other countries during my experience, such as Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Arthur

My experience as a brazilian in australian lands.

Overall, I can easily say that the best 18 months of my life were lived in UWA. The experiences I had there were unique, and made not only my english skills better, but also my knowledge as a marine biologist. My contact network is heaps better, knowing I met people from all around the world! There's not enough words for me to describe how amazing that university is, and you can be sure my PhD will be definitely done there. Apart from the academic field, I also found myself in that sea: a future shark specialist!

Maybe more representants in more countries.

About The University of Western Australia

The University of Western Australia is located in the amazing city of Perth, the hub of the mining and resources industry in Australia. Ranked #93 in the world in 2017, UWA is located 5 minutes from the bustling city centre and only 10 minutes from...