The University of Western Australia: Study Abroad in Perth

$5000 a year scholarship

UWA is offering an automatic scholarship of $5000 per year to students who are members of the National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) that apply to study their full Bachelor's degree at UWA! UWA's undergraduate programs are only three years, and more and more Americans are choosing to study their degree at UWA to save time and money while earning a fantastic education.

Why not add to your resume a semester or two of studies at the world's #93 university? Apply now to The University of Western Australia, where you will study at arguably the most beautiful campus in Australia, just 10 minutes from the city of Perth and 10 minutes from Cottesloe Beach. The campus is located right next to the Swan River, where you can swim, see dolphins, kayak and take a relaxing lunch!

Every year, UWA welcomes more than 300 study abroad students from all over the world and has more than 100 clubs and societies you can join, including Perth International. You can live on campus or share an apartment with other students, and you even have the opportunity to work 40 hours a fortnight on your student visa! Perth is currently the most affordable city in Australia (The Economist, 2017) and has the highest minimum salaries, so there is no doubt you will save some extra cash by choosing Perth!

Did You Know? UWA is on the approved list of universities that accept FAFSA loans!

• beautiful, historical campus
  • undergraduate research opportunities
  • weekend getaways to Rottnest Island, 30 minutes from the city
  • real student diversity
  • Australia's sunniest and most affordable capital city

Hi Aamir, Yes, you would need to meet UWA's English entry requirements if you did not study in an English-speaking country. You can find the full list of tests we accept here:

Karen

Knowledge and gardens

At first The University of the Western Australia was "just" one of the best universities of the country, that's why I choosed it. But arriving there on the first day leaved me without words: a wonderful structure in the middle of gardens, people from all over the world, confortable classrooms, beautiful libraries, units well organized, teachers and tutors open to help us with our necessities and apprenticeship. It was a challenge, but also memorable as one of the greatest places I have been. Thank you for the experience.

Students could be more encouraged to do things outside the university, with other international and national students. I know there were some initiatives like that, but I didn't feel that was for me and now I feel sorry I missed it.
Leticia Maria

Best Experience

I've studied at The University of Western Australia as an exchange undergraduate student supported by a scholarship program of my home country called Science Without Borders. I had the chance to improve English as a second language for six months before starting my undergrad studies on campus, so I've experienced Perth for 18 months. That experience was like no other in life. The University of Western Australia provided me more than all the support I could ever ask for. Teachers and staff have always been patient and receptive with me and any other foreigner students. Beyond excellent classes, the university supports social, cultural and academic events on campus, so every week there is something new to experience as a student. I strongly recommend this experience to anyone who wants to study overseas! If I ever have the opportunity to study again in Australia, I definitely will!

Arthur

UWA: A pleasant experience!

The University of Western Australia (UWA) was a pleasant experience in my academic life and Perth for my well-being. The reason why I choose UWA over other Australian universities was due to its reputation and the fact that UWA has been recently admitted as one of the best 100 universities in the world. As I am planning on to major in mining engineering having a degree which is recognized overseas would be an essential to increase my chances of having a well-developed career.
UWA has a very active social scene which allows the easy making of many, diverse friends. However, it is very hard to make friends through classes or any academic situations. Although most people are friendly, they just don’t seem to have the time to make friends. The best way it is being part of one of the various sport clubs that the UWA offer, so you can hang out with friends of different nationalities and background.
The campus is quite nice and serene. It is surrounding by a peaceful suburban besides the beautiful Matilda´s bay and there is also some native woodland (Kings Park) which puts a bit of a dampener during the rush time of exams. The public transport is very convenient – on semester weekdays buses come every 10 minutes and around every half hour on weekends. There’s also a well maintained public cycle path you can use to get into the city.
The lecture theaters are well-equipped, and the campus provide many libraries and other facilities to students. It also has a very conducive environment for students to do their research and studies.
Overall it was a great experience to live in Perth and study at UWA. I am sure that it will enhance my job prospects besides the memory of the beautiful landscapes from Western Australia that keep on my mind!

Pedro

Ecology in Perth

University of Western Australia has an amazing infra-structure, beautiful place. People are generally fun and chilled. Perth is a peaceful with lots of green but can be too quite particularly if you come from a big town. Western-australia in general is very under-rated, with astonishing scenarios that are not well know The area is specially great for ecology students for its unique biodiversity.

Isaac

A year I will never forget

I had the chance to spend one year, as an exchange student at University of Western Australia, and I had one of my best years in my life. Met a lot of people from different countries and discovered a lot of new cultures. Perth is a nice and calm city, with many wonderful beaches that you need to visit and the weather is lovely. University of Western Australia is in a really good location, next to the Matilda Bay, and close to the city.

Tomaz

Great Times in Western

I had an delightful experience studying abroad at UWA! I spent 1 year there, as a biology student. This opportunity not only opened many doors (today I'm lecturer at UFMT in Brazil), but also opened my mind and heart - to be in a different country can be tough, but all the support I received made it all a wonderful adventure. The city (Perth) mix a bit of a big city in terms of development, but without many negatives (no crowded streets or major safety problems). University structure and community creates a stimulating environment - to be a better version of myself was a pleasure, not a exhausting task. I can only be grateful for my opportunities!

The only way I can see an improvement is by continuing to have access to University's material after the experience. Some articles and books could be available on line for past students. As I had a PC problem after a while back in Brazil, many materials were lost and I would like to get access to them.
Ana

Best experience

It was the best experience I have ever had. It wasn't always easy, of course I have some difficulties, felt homesick, had to lear a lot by my self. But it all worth it at the end, now I can see how much I learned from that and I would do it all again. The country is simply amazing and so is the university. I truly miss Perth, the city is calm, safe and you have all the nature life and beaches to enjoy. If I have to give an advice to anyone I would say that live in a different country is an unique experience that everyone have to do.

pet kangaroo
Thais

A life in a year

I could spend hours talking about how Australia is amazing and Perth is the best city, but I'll tell you what really matter: UWA. The university is absolutely marvellous. Everyday when I walked to uni I felt like I was in a movie. The campus combines the best of modern facilities without compromising the historical architecture of their buildings.

They don't have presence lists in most classes, and I actually attended the lectures because I liked them and I really learned a lot! It seems silly, but that wasn't true for most of my classes in my home uni. The teachers really know what they are talking about and are really good at teaching. Sometimes it's common that teachers are just expert in their fields but don't know how to pass that knowledge along, but don't worry about this in UWA. They make lectures interesting. Also, almost every class I took had also a practical component weekly, which is how you actually learn!!

I majored in Biological Sciences, but at UWA I was able to expand my field, and was able to take lectures in different departments and figure out what I liked better, which helped me choose my Master's degree. Also I think having Studied abroad at UWA helped me open doors for my future. After I returned home and graduated, I was offered a scholarship in Canada. I am sure my year abroad helped me with that, because when I tell people (potential employers) that I did 1 year of my undergrad in Australia, they are usually impressed. My only regret is not taking my full undergrad there!

People in Australia are super friendly and nice, I made best friends 4 years ago and we still me until today around the world! Also, UWA has a "Perth International" program and they always organised different things around the city, it was always fun and a great way to meet fellow exchange students. They also have a lot of different clubs that you can easily join according to your interest. I was part of the outdoors club and we often went kayaking in the Swan River across UWA. Did I tell you they have dolphins in that river? There are DOLPHINS! Imagine you are in the bus going to uni, look at the window and you see dolphins!!! That will lighten up anyone's morning (more than coffee). I remember one day we went kayaking at sunrise and the dolphins swan alongside us. Then I went to class, sat on the grass to have lunch with my friends, grabbed some coffee at the library, studied... Such a happy day!

Just one more thing: don't be afraid to take your year abroad in Perth and not the east coast (Melbourne, Sidney, Brisbane). FYI west coast is better. I am just a little bit biased, but hear me out: Perth is the perfect mix of a big modern city (but not too big) has a river in the middle of the city and several beautiful beaches (just google Cottesloe and Scarborough), a lot of things going on in the night scene and you can travel a lot! It is indeed the most isolated metropolis in the southern hemisphere, but that just means that there aren't huge cities around, not that there isn't anything around. With just a few hours drive south, you could go to Rockingham, Rottnest Island, Margaret River.. and if you feel like a road trip you can go to Albany and Esperance (they just have kangaroos chilling in the beach) or go north and explore the beaches with the Ningaloo Reef (cooler than the great barrier, I swear) such as Shark bay and Exmouth, and you can also explore the beauty of Karijini National Park with its weirdly shaped red rocks and beautiful waterfalls. The only hazard in Australia is that you might end up loving it more than your own country!

Honestly, I cannot think of anything.
Tiago

The Authentic Global Citizen Experience

Words are not enough to describe the experience I had at UWA. For the first time in my life I could understand the meaning of Global Citizen which goes way beyond what you can read on blogs and books. During the time I spent at UWA I had great lectures, I talked to people from all over the world, I've made lifetime friendships, I learned how to solve problems with people from different cultures, I overcame my fears, I challenged myself to go further, I had all the support I needed. Those experiences changed my world view and made me a better person. Now, four years later, I use my knowledge to help people to go beyond the safe zone and fight for a better tomorrow for everyone. The study abroad in Perth is definitely the experience you're looking for.

I was a bit overwhelmed by all the information I had during the beginning of the program. I believe a well engineered chatbot can be useful to centralize the tips for all abroad students. Simple tasks like looking for a lecture room, scheduling a meeting, searching for a book at the library and all of those small difficulties could be categorized in only one place. That can make the life of students a lot easier.
Moara

Can I go back in time?

It was the best experience in my life, and I would do again if I had another chance. It was my first exchange program, and I had all support that I needed from the UWA, so if you have any problem, ask for help, and I am sure they will do their best to help. Thinking about Perth city, it’s simply perfect. And its people, I have nothing to complain, Australian people are awesome and very welcoming.

Drielly

Best choice ever!

The experience of a lifetime! Lasting memories and friendships are some of the things you earn from living abroad! Leaving my comfort zone to travel across the world have brought me many things, and the most important: independence. And on top of that, studying in UWA made it even more special, and I'm not only talking about its good education, but also about its beautiful campus right next to the river! For sure, It was a worthwhile choice!

Daianne

A life time change!

Perth is this incredible mixture of paradisiacal beaches, friendly people, incredible infrastructure, and vibrant culture! During my exchange year at The University of Western Australia, I learned much more than a new language! I made life-long friends, grown as an adult, enjoyed nature as never before, and lived experiences that I carry dearly with me! The campus is beautiful: a mixture of old western world, along with new buildings and harmony with nature. It is mostly a green campus! As people come from all around the globe, UWA represents a real melting pot! Influences from different cultures are seen in every corner of the university!

Back in 2013-2014, the housing options for International Students from the Exchange Programs were a bit limited.
Ana Maria

Amazing experience at UWA

That was fantastic to be in Perth and learn much more about Australians and Australia. It was amazing to have the chance to practice my English and to study in one of the best University in Australia. Teacher are great and very kind with us, and what great I had with my new friends from China, India and many others countries. And I also had the opportunity to study some units that I don't have in my University in Brazil with amazing teachers, such as "Forensic" .

Thiago

Good Aspects of UWA and Perth

Studying Electrical Engineering at UWA has been a unique life experience for me. When I first visited the university, I was astonished by the beauty of Crawley campus. Later, I discovered that UWA also offered many robust laboratories and large libraries to help students learn and progress during the semester. In complement to the great campus resources, the city of Perth provided me with great quality of life off-campus: a quick visit to Fremantle, Cottesloe, King's Park or even Rottnest Island every other weekend would ensure I had my mind prepared for many other rounds of studies and hard work.

All of these moments have made me so fond of UWA and Perth I intend to return in the future to pursue a Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, and maybe even permanently live in Perth.

The inclusion of a period of internship at an australian company would be a great gain to this program.
Aline

The best experience of my life in the most stunning place

Studyng at UWA was by far the best experience of my life because it made me grow in every way, in academic, professional and personal life.
Regarding my academic life, I did the Bridging Course before starting uni, focused on learning standards and academic tools that are widely applied to a university's daily life. Even though I was an undergrad study abroad student, I had the chance to do units of the Mining Engineering Master Program. In addition, I attended classes with highly well-known professors, a technical visit to an underground mine where access is only by plane, the learning process was deeply associated with practical and challenging situations. Other advantages of studying at UWA are availability of useful software licenses and assurance of great on campus facilities, such as labs, libraries, gym, bookstore, medical centre, for example.
Within the professional context, there is an appropriate department that discloses internship and job opportunities. I could also be part of student clubs that promote events and meetings with professionals from a variety of industrial segments, giving you the opportunity for network. Because I was part of Enginering clubs such as AusIMM and UWAYE, I attended professional events, Students Meet Industry Night and Women in Engineering High Tea, for instance.
Personal gain was also extremely relevant because UWA is a multicultural university, so I was able to get along with people from all over the world and to learn about different cultures. I could improve my communication and group work skills, for example. Now I also have really nice friends from different countries. Another very strong point of UWA is its location in Perth, an amazing city to live, high quality of life, close to the beach, surrounded by the Swan River. And there are also numerous stunning touristic places to be visited in the WA state, such as Rottnest Island, Margaret River, Esperance and Karijini National Park.
Studying at UWA was a significant milestone in my life and this experience has helped me to aim higher and set my goals wisely. I’m really grateful to all the people I’ve met and knowledge acquired at UWA. Now I always remember our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue impossible!

This program was perfect, it would be better if I could study there again! (:

About The University of Western Australia

The University of Western Australia is located in the amazing city of Perth, the hub of the mining and resources industry in Australia. Ranked #93 in the world in 2017, UWA is located 5 minutes from the bustling city centre and only 10 minutes from...