Central College Abroad - Study & Intern in Vienna

During one semester with Central College Abroad, you get one program, one language and two countries. Before arriving in Vienna, you have the option to add one or two months at the prestigious Goethe Institute in Schwabisch Hall, Germany. The intensive language courses there prepare you for your stay in Vienna but also give you time to explore another unique country during your semester abroad.

For a city founded 2,000 years ago, Vienna has aged well. Its neo-Baroque style theatres and imperial palaces are just a façade for a contemporary city that’s claimed the No. 1 spot in Mercer’s Quality of Living Survey five years in a row (2009-2013). The Viennese are leaders in urban planning, and the city maintains several natural, green spaces that make the perfect spot for afternoon study. If you have an interest in politics and international relations, you’ll find prominent international organizations.

Drew

Vienna

My six months on the Vienna program was the time of life. The program itself was excellent; getting to spend two months in Germany in addition to living and studying in Austria for four. Being in Central Europe means you're close to all of the attractions and beautiful countries Europe has to offer, at cheap prices, and reasonable distances. The program staff were incredible, so nice, and very hardworking. Academic programs were top notch, and I never once felt unsafe while out and about. I can't say enough about how awesome this program was!

Stoulilm1

Study Abroad in Vienna!

I loved being a part of this program! The program director, Ruth, and the assistant director, Michaela, are so helpful and sweet. They make you feel right at home. I studied for one month in Schwabisch Hall before studying in Vienna. Participating in both parts of the program shows you smaller town and big city living in Europe. Both locations are centrally located in Europe, making it easy and somewhat inexpensive to travel. Before I got to Schwabisch Hall I had not learned any German. When I returned to the US I was at the intermediate level.

LindleyJo

I should have stayed another semester!

Studying in Vienna was one of the best decisions I have made in my life. It was a life changing experience and since coming back, I've really regretted that I wasn't able to stay longer. I feel like I learned so much when I was there, but it still wasn't even close to enough! The people of the city, though not as outwardly friendly as Americans, are genuinely kind and helpful, and the city itself is absolutely beautiful and clean. There is always something to do, whether you're interested more in action-oriented activities or just a lazy day reading in the park. I am absolutely in LOVE with this city after coming home, not to mention my German improved exponentially (I've even been able to provide my German professor with words that she doesn't know in class!), and am seriously considering heading back to Uni Wien for graduate school in 2013!

Q

Great Program

Such a wonderful experience. I was truly blessed to get to live in Vienna, a city where music and art flourishes. Living in such a large, musical city with people from all over the world was a fantastic way to broaden my world views of people, language, and music. As a musician, there were countless opportunities for growing musically and meeting fellow musicians who just love what they do. The faculty were always enthusiastic and pushing us out of our comfort zones to talk with people and expand our German-speaking skills. I learned so much and was able to travel and experience Austrian culture first-hand. I would not trade my experiences for anything! So glad to have traveled on this abroad program and I would suggest it to anyone interested, especially music-oriented students.

annaj0013

Opportunity to last a Lifetime!

The experience offered to me at Central College was amazing and one that I have come to truly appreciate in gaining more exposure to alternatives. Up until that point, my only experience with international travel and learning was my Central experience so I assumed all were outstanding. This is not the case. The points that set Central apart include complete integration with University of Vienna students and classes, very limited English speaking, roommates who are native Austrians or with whom your shared language is German. You really learn the language here! This is not a group of Americans learning German in a foreign speaking country and your accrued language skill is a direct reflection of that. I recently audited some college level courses at my local university just for fun and my instructors could not believe that I had not spoken German in nearly 20 years because it came back to me very quickly. One said, "You must have had a tremendous foundational grounding in the language to pick it up like this again!" I smiled and proudly said, "I have Central to thank for that!"

Jocker

One of the kind

Salzburg, Mozart's hometown, a place that all the music student wants to visit at least once in the life time. I was lucky to know and get into this program. For sure, it was one great trip that I will never forget.
I am a backpacker, so I've already been to Austria many times by myself, but this is the first time I go with a group. When I saw the name list, I was the one male in this group. Which leads it into two ways, one: this could be a haven or somesort of dream come true. Two: this could be a total nightmare. as it turns out, it was quite fun.
They have great housing, you can even have your own practice room at free time (which you do get a lot if you don't go out that much) class level fits college student (not just for music student, they also have other major class you can choose) and in my own opinion. Salzburg is one of the most beautiful place on earth.
I live in Montana, you have to go everywhere by car, but in Salzburg, you walk, no matter how far you are going, even though there are bus all over town, you just kind of want to walk, in the sun, by the river side. I took 25 mins walk to school every day, and I was never bored of it because you find something new every day.
They also have music event all the time, everyday, concert, recital, even church service have great choir. As a music student and a big fan of classical music, I believe Salzburg is the place I suppose to be when I first step on it.
So music student, if you have a chance. Join this program, it will change your life.

swr

Fun and comfortable introduction to Europe abroad

I loved Central College's small program in Vienna. Starting out with a two-month stay at the Goethe Institute remains one of my all-time favorite life experiences and my introduction to Austrian life and the German language further motivated me to live abroad in Germany/Austria for two years after college.

About Central College Abroad (CCA)

Established in 1965, Central College Abroad is a nationally recognized study abroad provider attracting students from across the United States. Colleges and universities choose Central College Abroad to offer rich global opportunities for their...