View Other Details
No Application Fee!
Patagonia is a land of fire and ice. Here, massive glaciers and active volcanoes form a wild landscape unlike any other. Spend a semester amid soaring peaks, narrow fjords, and fields of ice as you study conservation and the impacts of climate change. The trails of Torres del Paine National Park will become your classroom for research and field work. The semester ends with an extensive research project in the field.
The SFS Chile campus is located in the bustling port city of Puerto Natales, gateway to the famous Torres del Paine National Park. This scenic city, surrounded by the jagged peaks of Cerro Benítez and the deep blue waters of the Señoret Channel, serves as your home base for expeditions throughout the region.
Click on Visit Site above to learn more about studying abroad in Chile with SFS!
- Travel to the island of Tierra del Fuego, encountering king penguins, windswept landscapes, and evidence of massive past volcanic eruptions, and meet with the Selk’nam community still living on the island.
- Hike through the dramatic landscapes of Torres del Paine National Park.
- Visit the site of Fuerte Bulnes to learn about the arrival of the Chilean state to Southern Patagonia and the way historical and environmental conservation coincide.
- Examine the economic and environmental policies of Chile, and how they have been influenced by the visible and dramatic impacts of climate change in the Patagonian region.
- Travel to El Calafate in Argentina to visit the Perito Moreno glacier and visit areas with prehistoric cave paintings that were made when glaciers were far larger than today.
Spend a semester amid the soaring peaks, massive glaciers, and narrow fjords of Patagonia, where the trails of national parks like Torres del Paine become your classroom. Embark on expeditions to the southernmost tip of South America and the volcanic lakes region of northern Patagonia to study climate change impacts, diverse ecosystems, and conservation in one of the world’s most iconic regions.
5 classes | 18 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.
Spend your summer studying the biodiversity and fragile habitats of southern Chile. The trails of national parks like Torres del Paine and the expansive Patagonian steppe become your classroom as you explore the region from high-alpine forests to glaciers to the lower-elevation steppe. You'll practice census techniques and explore how nature adapts in extreme conditions.
1 classes | 4 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.
The School for Field Studies Scholarships
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.