COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, The School for Field Studies (SFS) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
Spend a semester amid the soaring peaks, massive glaciers, and narrow fjords of Patagonia, where the trails of national parks like Torres del Paine become your classroom for research and field work. Embark on expeditions to the southernmost tip of South America and the volcanic lakes region of northern Patagonia to study climate change impacts, diverse ecosystems, and conservation in one of the world’s most iconic regions.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Climate Studies, located near the bustling port city of Puerto Natales – the gateway to the famous Torres del Paine National Park. This scenic city, surrounded by the jagged peaks of Cerro Benítez and the deep blue waters of the Señoret Channel, serves as your home base for expeditions throughout the region.
- Hike through the dramatic landscapes of Torres del Paine National Park, and take an expedition to neighboring Argentina and the stunning Perito Moreno Glacier.
- From the Strait of Magellan, embark on a voyage through labyrinthine fjords, massive glaciers, and evergreen forests, to Cape Horn - the southernmost point of South America.
- Journey to northern Patagonia’s lakes region, home to the lush Valdivian temperate rainforests, the active Calbuco and Osorno volcanoes, and massive blue whales.
- Build core skills including: Species identification and population monitoring, landscape and soils analysis, natural resource valuation, basic Spanish language, research design and implementation, data collection and analysis, research presentation
- Conduct research in some of the following areas: Climate change impacts and resilience, conservation policy, ecological succession, aquaculture and aquatic ecology, coastal and alpine ecology, protected areas management
We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19
SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.