COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, The School for Field Studies (SFS) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
Immerse yourself in the rich biodiversity of the rainforest and learn about ecological resilience in the face of climate change and other environmental threats. Connect rainforest management and conservation issues with downstream impacts on the Great Barrier Reef. Become a part of large-scale restoration ecology experiments and study environmental policy and community conservation approaches while developing skills in field research and data collection.
Students live and study at the SFS Center for Rainforest Studies. Our Center lies at the end of a narrow, winding road, in the middle of a lush rainforest. The 153-acre property is surrounded by protected World Heritage forests, and you can see incredible wildlife from the front steps of your cabin. Nearby Yungaburra and Cairns provide the occasional return to civilization.
- Explore the world’s oldest rainforest – the Daintree – then work alongside citizen volunteers to regenerate critical rainforest habitats.
- Travel to the Great Barrier Reef to learn about the biological links between rainforest and reef ecosystems.
- Head out of the rainforest to the edge of the Outback and explore the region’s savanna ecosystems and vast limestone caves.
- Develop core skills including: GIS & GPS, species ID & population monitoring, forest survey methods, animal behavior observation, citizen science protocols, research presentation, research design, implementation & presentation, data collection & analysis
- Conduct research in some of the following areas: Climate change, rainforest fragmentation and recovery, marsupial behavior, Aboriginal ecotourism, forest ecotones, habitat restoration
We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19
SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.