• Tanzania
Term
Fall, Short Term, Spring, Summer
African Studies Agriculture Animal Science Biology Botany Conflict Studies Conservation and Preservation Cultural Studies Earth Sciences Ecology Environmental Studies Field Studies Humanities Indigenous Cultures Life Sciences Natural Sciences Public Policy Social Sciences Statistics Sustainable Development Tourism Wildlife Sciences +12

Program Details

Associates Bachelors
Dormitory

Pricing

Program fees include tuition, housing, daily meals, field excursions, entrance fees, cultural activities, advising services, airport transfers, 24/7 mental health and well-being support, official transcript processing and more – check out our website. Need-based scholarships available.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Classes Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

No Application Fee!

What's Not Included
Airfare Travel Insurance Visa
May 06, 2021
Apr 19, 2018

SFS offers some of the best (and most adventurous!) hands-on study abroad programs. Our programs in Tanzania explore pressing environmental issues such as climate change, wildlife and natural resource management, and biodiversity conservation. Students learn through outdoor lectures, hands-on field exercises, and activities with community members and area NGOs.

The SFS Tanzania campus is ideally located near world-famous national parks like the Serengeti and Lake Manyara. Full of mature trees, green spaces, and gazebos, campus offers plenty of space for outdoor activities. It is nestled in the friendly community of Rhotia and close to the towns of Karatu and Mto Wa Mbu.

Click on Visit Site above to learn more about studying abroad in Tanzania with SFS!

Program Highlights

• Earn academic credit: 18 credits for semester programs and 4-8 credits for summer programs. Conduct a 4-credit research project during the semester program.
  • Develop core skills including GIS, biodiversity assessment, species ID, wildlife census techniques, animal behavior observation, radio telemetry, basic Swahili, research design and implementation, data collection & analysis.
  • Embark on a multi-day camping expedition in Serengeti National Park. Enjoy field lectures on topics like animal behavior and migratory patterns, and observe the diverse species found within the park.
  • Spend two weeks in Kenya with visits to Amboseli and Tsavo West national parks and the mountainous Chyulu Hills conservation area. Enjoy views of Mt. Kilimanjaro from campus. (Semester and Summer I only)
  • SFS Tanzania semester research topics may include wildlife conservation and management, climate change resilience, large mammal behavior, carnivore ecology, human-wildlife conflict, community conservation.

The School for Field Studies Scholarships

SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year

SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.

$500 - $5,000

Popular Programs

elephant

Explore the iconic landscapes of Tanzania. Meet the country’s charismatic wildlife – from magnificent lions and elephants to thunderous herds of wildebeest and zebras – as you learn about their ecology and behavior. Experience the rich culture and traditions of Tanzania’s Maasai, Iraqw, and Hadzabe tribal communities while collaborating on issues of human-wildlife conflict and climate change.
5 classes | 18 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.

thoughtful primate

The world-famous national parks and reserves of Kenya and Tanzania are full of wildlife found nowhere else on the planet. Spend a month in this incredible region (two weeks in each country), learning about approaches to wildlife management through safari drives, conversations with the Maasai and other area communities, and expert lectures.
1 class | 4 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.

lioness

Tanzania is home to more than 35 species of carnivores, including the African lion, cheetah, leopard, and wild dog – all of which are on the IUCN Red List. Study the behavioral ecology and conservation challenges facing these incredible creatures, while observing some of Africa’s largest remaining carnivore guilds up close.
1 class | 4 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.

• 9-10 rating 92.31%
  • 7-8 rating 7.69%
Hannah

Amazing experience!!!

I absolutely loved SFS Tanzania. The staff and faculty are all amazing, and you are able to have so many unique experiences that you can't get anywhere else! Also, you really feel like you are able to make a difference in conservation, because the community really takes into account what your DR research shows at the end of the semester. I would absolutely reccommend this program to any and all who are interested in wildlife, conservation, or both!

Kaitlyn

Life-Changing Adventure

This summer, I had the opportunity to join approx. 20 other students from different states around the USA on a study abroad program in East Africa. The School for Field Studies was an absolutely fantastic program that left me with many unforgettable memories and friendships. It helped foster my passion for wildlife research even more and I look forward to a future with SFS support from this adventure. I would highly recommend The School for Field Studies study abroad for any curious, young scientist who wants a taste of what it's like to conduct research on the other side of the world. I knew after leaving this program, with my heart still pumping on the plane ride home, that this is the field I am destined to be in.

The Tanzania program was run very well with many encouraging and caring staff. Given the societal and cultural aspects of the area, the Moyo Hill Camp was comparative to a five-star hotel.
Emily

SFS Wildlife Management Program

Choosing this study abroad program was hands down the best decision I made during my college career. It was such a unique experience and one that I felt perfectly encompassed what studying abroad is all about. While traveling and living in Tanzania undoubtedly pushed me out of my comfort zone, I could not speak more highly of the students, staff, and locals I had the pleasure of spending those 3.5 months with. The many relationships I developed with those people really made camp a home away from home and have continued even after the program. I was completely engrossed by the Tanzanian culture and way of life-- something I'm quite sure is just as unique as the country itself. Having the opportunity to learn Swahili and get exposure to a variety of cultures was truly an immersive experience that speaks to the many positives of this program.

Now of course, the wildlife this country had to offer was one of the main draws for me. The safari drives and overnight expeditions in and near the national parks were always something I looked forward to and will surely never forget. Each drive was a new experience, whether it was seeing new animals or scenery, or simply being with a different driver or group of students. There was also a great connection between class and lecture material with activities we did in the field (habitat assessment, species ID and behavioral observations, wildlife census techniques, etc.). And the best part was that fieldwork never felt like actual work--I mean how often do you get to ride around in open-top Jeeps collecting data on Tanzanian wildlife?!

I could go on and on about how absolutely amazing this program was. I can't say that I have one favorite memory or moment, because the program in its entirety was more than I ever expected it to be. I've missed the tiny village of Rhotia every day and know this country and its people forever have a special place in my heart.

Benjamin

Time in Tanzania Well Spent!

Definitely the trip of a lifetime, and would absolutely do it all over again. The feeling going to the first national park, Lake Manyara National Park, felt like going into Jurassic Park but without the danger or drama. The first animal we saw was my favorite; elephants. During the day I thought to myself that if everything had to end, I'd be content because of the joy that I felt. I loved learning the language, the culture, the challenges, and meeting wonderful people in a world far away and far different than I one I left back home.

There are only a few things that could be changed about the program. The student housing was good but could have been better, I did share a room and bathroom with 3 other men. The local culture and history was fascinating, would have enjoyed more time learning about it.
Cate

Unique and Incredible Experience

I very nearly did not go on this program - first I suffered an injury and had to withdraw from a semester, and then the Kenya portion of the trip was cancelled due to civil unrest - but going was probably the best decision I've ever made. For the first time in my college career, I feel as though I've actually gotten my money's worth. The professors were (mostly) accessible and incredibly knowledgeable in their fields and the staff were welcoming and inclusive. Lectures were punctuated with all day field exercises that ranged from walking distance to camp to a three hour drive, allowing us to view a broad range of communities, and guest lectures from local experts and citizens. The school went out of their way to provide the proper tools for directed research projects, including arranging last minute camping, guides and rangers, and talks with experts in our field of research. The expeditions to national parks were the highlights, of course, and no one ever suffered a bad day where they didn't get to see something incredible. The campus itself is small, but the accommodations are much better than I expected, with (usually) hot water, running toilets, and a full-stocked kitchen to raid for bread. The only real drawback to any of this was the inability to go out into the community alone or past 6 pm due to safety reasons, which is understandable, if a little frustrating.

If you are looking to work hard, play hard, and see East African wildlife in their native habitat, this program is for you. Come in with an open mind, prepare to be adaptable to all situations, and enjoy the people you're spending your time with, and you will have one of the greatest experiences of your life.

Some of the academics could use a little more focus - sometimes it was hard to tell exactly what we were supposed to be doing, and sometimes things fell through. I also would have appreciated more day trips to areas farther from camp so that I got to see more of northern Tanzania. However, I do think that they did the best with what they had, and that's what is really important here.
mike

Certainly a worthwhile adventure

All in all it was an amazing experience that could not be replicated anywhere else of with any other study abroad program. The theoretical side of the courses were lacking, but the practical field experience is likely unparalleled. Probably around 75% of your waking hours are spent traveling around Tanzania to local National Parks or Wildlife Management Areas. The wildlife you will see during the program is simply spectacular and there are many things you will never be able to experience again in your life. SFS is a great program for not only experiencing the ecosystems surrounding their field stations, but completely immersing their students in the culture of the peoples living in the area. I can't stress it enough, this is an experience that you will never forget for the rest of your life. If you have the means to get to Tanzania, then most certainly do it.

Academics could definitely be improved to provide more clarity about what professors expect from you on your assignments. As it stands, assignments are very vague and you are sort of left guessing as to what to do with them. This was a general problem with all of the students who participating in the program, not just me. However, this might just be a cultural aspect of teaching in Tanzania and something that you just need to roll with.
Alexandra

A Summer in Tanzania

I participated in the SFS Summer Session II in Tanzania and would recommend this program to anyone looking for a unique study abroad experience with awesome opportunities to study and view African wildlife.

The program was very guided and strict on what students were allowed to do during their free time due to safety reasons. I would have liked to see a little bit more free time, however the safety precautions were understandable and appreciated for life in rural East Africa.
Sara

Most amazing experience of my life!!

This program changed my life. I was exposed to things that I never thought I'd experience. I saw parts of East Africa that I never even knew about, and I met some of the most incredible people.
One of my favorite parts of the trip were camping in the Serengeti for a week. We were woken up by lions outside our tents every night and got to sleep underneath the clearest skies I've ever seen.
Another one of the highlights were the home stays. We spent time with people from Iraqw tribe and also Maasai. They taught us about their everyday lives and we got to help with everything they do on a daily basis.
The academics were definitely challenging for an abroad program, but I had no problems with the professors or grading policies. I loved getting to know the professors on a personal level, and spending time with all of the staff.
SFS runs an incredible program. I look at the world in an entirely new way, and I will never forget the experiences I had while abroad.

I wish we had a little bit more freedom to explore the areas we were living in. It was great because I always felt safe while on the program, but I wish I got to explore the areas a little bit more.