COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, The School for Field Studies (SFS) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
Explore the iconic landscapes of Tanzania. Meet the country’s charismatic wildlife – from magnificent lions and elephants to thunderous herds of wildebeest and zebras – as you learn about their ecology and behavior. Experience the rich culture and traditions of Tanzania’s Maasai, Iraqw, and Hadzabe tribal communities while collaborating on issues of human-wildlife conflict and climate change. Finish the semester with an in-depth field research project.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Wildlife Management Studies. Known locally as “Moyo Hill Camp” and surrounded by Tanzania’s world-famous national parks and wildlife, it’s the perfect base camp for expeditions into the field. Campus is reminiscent of summer camp, with plenty of outdoor and communal spaces, while the small, friendly community of Rhotia is a short walk away.
- Embark on a multi-day camping expedition in Serengeti National Park, attending field lectures on the behavior and migratory patterns of the park’s magnificent wildlife.
- Learn about elephant and lion ecology in Tarangire National Park and visit Burunge Wildlife Management Area to learn about community-based conservation.
- Spend two weeks in southern Kenya, with expeditions to Amboseli National Park, Tsavo Conservation Area, and the Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary.
- Build core skills including: GIS, species identification and wildlife census techniques, animal behavior observation, natural resource valuation, basic Swahili language, research design & implementation, data collection & analysis, research presentation
- Conduct research in some of the following areas: Wildlife conservation, climate change, African large mammal behavior, carnivore ecology, human-wildlife conflict, community-based conservation
We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19
SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.