AIFS Study Abroad in Costa Rica: January Term

AIFS Study Abroad in Costa Rica: January Term

Earn 3 semester credits during a 2-week January term program at Veritas University in San José, Costa Rica. Choose from the history course, Costa Rican Health Care System and Tropical Medicine, and the social science course, Conflict Resolution and Health Care. Both courses are taught in English.

Live in a homestay within walking distance of Veritas University. Immerse yourself in Tica culture and Spanish language. Breakfast and dinner, a weekly laundry wash and internet access are included.

Living in a homestay in San José will give you a true sense of Costa Rican life. The city is full of character with vibrant markets, buzzing nightlife, street art and charming neighborhoods. This lively capital city offers all of the amenities of a big city while being within reach of two coasts, volcanoes, national parks and the lush central highlands. Study abroad in Costa Rica with AIFS to experience the ‘Pura Vida’ way of life.

North America » Costa Rica » San José
Medicine
Social Sciences
High School Diploma
J-Term
AIFS is recognized as a premier provider of study abroad programs. Comprehensive fees cover tuition and housing with $800,000 in scholarship and grant funding available each year. A meal plan, tours and excursions, insurance and 24-hour emergency service are also included. Coordinated AIFS Flight Packages are available.

Andrea

Second Home

I loved my study abroad experience in Costa Rica. The class was interesting for since I really like learning about the environment and sustainability. I thought the instructor was perfect for the course! I do wish we had some class trips along with the class, it is one thing to discuss certain topics in class as opposed to seeing it person especially in another country. I got real close my host "Tico" family. They were really nice to my house mates and I. They invited me to go walking, take a tour of San Jose and a nearby town. My Tica mom was an excellent cook! Costa Rica's traditional food is nice and healthy. I liked that my class was small (about 13) because most of us got along really well and had fun together. Veritas university is amazing! They offer salsa lessons, cooking lesson, a welcome party, and they have their own traveling agency on campus. Students can book several weekend or day trips as well as volunteer at community centers. Also, AIFS offers program trips to the gold museum, coffee plantation, movies, and dinner in nice locations. I got to see Manuel Antonio, Manzanillo Beach, and Volcan Irazu with the guidance of the traveling agency or my host family. The only problem is that the program was 3 weeks and if you want to see more of Costa Rica like I did, it's not enough!

Eduardo
Laredo, Texas
Texas A&M International University

J-Term Paradise

I've been fortunate enough to have traveled to many different countries all over, and my time in Costa Rica was without a doubt one of the best places I've been to. "Pura Vida" is something that you will learn to appreciate in Costa Rica. It is a way of life that made this study abroad experience awe inspiring. I studied Environmental Awareness and Sustainable Development, and what better place to do this than in Costa Rica. The weather during the J-term was ideal, and the scenery was nothing short of stunning. The fact that you stay with a host family for the duration of the program only adds to enriching your experience. What better source to learn from about the culture than from Ticos themselves. The freshness of the fruit, friendliness of the people, and the beauty of the nature in Costa Rica are second to none. If you want to learn about how and why we must preserve our environments and everything in them, then allow "Pura Vida" to become part of your lifestyle. With a very affordable price point, all inclusive options, and a helpful staff, Costa Rica J-term is an opportunity that should not be overlooked.

House arrangements vary from families to families, and therefore not everyone shares the same experience. This can be good for those who are paired with a great family, but not for those who don't. Overall my housing arrangement was good, but I did meet other people who had a much better arrangement. Not sure what can be done about this, but this was my only issue with the program.

AIFS is a leading provider of study abroad programs. Since 1964, more than 1.5 million students have traveled abroad with AIFS. Comprehensive program fees make it convenient for students to study abroad and experience all that the world has to offer.

With over half a