Arcadia University- University of Havana Summer

Arcadia University- University of Havana Summer

You will live, study and take part in Cuban society, enjoying the country’s special eclectic mix of Latin, European and American cultures during this exciting four-week program. Taught in cooperation with our academic partner, the University of Havana, you’ll enroll in two courses, which focus on Cuban and U.S. relations and Spanish language.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: City tour of Havana, Santa Clara, and Santiago de Cuba.

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

North America » Cuba » Havana
Latin American Studies
Social Sciences
Sociology
Letters of Recommendation
See website for details. Scholarships available!

Shannon
Hartford, CT
University of Connecticut

Take me back!

Day to day-
We got to pick our classes as long as they fit in a schedule, the Cuban students are actually very rude to their professors so that was a bit of a shock. In terms of academic challenge... there wasn't any.

Our residence was generally very nice, cleaned daily and we a breakfast and dinner that by Cuban standards was good but not by American standards. The beds seemed uncomfortable at first but you totally get used to it and forget.

Be aware of sexual harassment. There are a lot of men who will stand on stone walls or whatever and jerk off at you, and I wish I were kidding. This really impacted the beginning of the trip for me but, sadly, you'll get used to it. People also catcall like no other.

BUT we met AMAZING people there and ended up making a very close group of cuban friends. Because of how small our study abroad group was, we also became very close to each other.

Take advantage of the beach! It's about 45 minute drive but is well worth it.

The program director, Elena is just the absolute best. We all LOVED her and she's hilarious and beautiful and just the absolute best.

I would give anything to go back again.

The education could be better but that's not because of Arcadia, that's the University of Havana. Same with the sexual harassment, it's not because of the program it's the country.
Other than that I can't think of anything that could be improved.

Malissa
San Diego
Point Loma Nazarene University

Building Bridges

My semester in Cuba brought me face to face with a culture and political/economic system I knew nothing about; and, through interactions with the close friends I made there, I was brought to recognize the deep-rooted sameness in all of us regardless of background.
One of the most impacting courses I took was "Political Economy of Socialism" in which on the first day of class my professor asked the students to identify the inherent contradictions within capitalism. While I was at a loss for words, the class seemed armed and loaded with a plethora of preset answers; the next day when she asked about the inherent contradictions within socialism, however, I was well-prepared with the propaganda my educational system had indoctrinated me with. Having these discussions with my Cuban classmates led me to understand at a deeper level how greatly our backgrounds affect our understanding of the world and how much the lines we are fed as children stick to our beliefs as adults.

No amount of preparation State-side could ever really prepare a US student for the experience of living four months in such a different culture, but some more information about what to expect as far as cultural norms and societal expectations would have been helpful.

Ben
Boston, MA
Northeastern University

Great Summer in Havana

Daily life involves walking to University of Havana classes in the morning and afternoon, and having the rest of the day and weekends free to explore the city and go on excursions around the island. The accommodations are comfortable and clean with great housekeeping and cooking every day. Highlights include seeing Havana landmarks, finding unique restaurants and clubs around the city, and a few day/weekend trips to other historic sites around Cuba.

The freedom was great, but a bit more structure over the first few days would have been helpful.

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of programs in many study