Study Central European Transformation, Czech Republic

Study Central European Transformation, Czech Republic

The Czech Republic underwent an intense transformation process in the early 1990s, not only transforming its political situation but the transition affected its economy, society as well as legal base. We want to draw on this knowledge and use it to understand how this process gets replicated in other countries around the world which are undergoing their own transformation/transition processes.

The course is designed as an interdisciplinary forum, thus primarily, but not necessarily, it should engage students of social and humanity-related fields – Political Science, Law, Economics and Sociology. You can also gain 8 ECTS credits.

Come to a vivid community in the Eastern part of the Czech Republic for a three week summer program to gain knowledge, experience, and long-lasting friendships.

Europe » Czech Republic
Direct Enrollment
The fee covers:
-Tuition
-Accommodation in Brno and on field trips
-Transportation to and from all field trips
-Some meals such as welcome dinner or farewell party
-Admission to museums and other cultural institutions relevantly connected to the program
-So much more!

Students from Masaryk University partner institutions can get a EUR 500 waiver.
Brno

Dorna
Geelong
Deakin University

The best way to spend your summer as a student!

My decision to attend the summer school at Masaryk University in Brno was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

It was a perfect blend of learning and experiencing a new culture. It provided me with the opportunity to visit beautiful sights of Prague, Brno, Budapest and Vienna. Brno was the absolute highlight for me. It's a small city in the Czech Republic that will constantly take your breath away with its beauty. It also has delicious food that is extremely affordable (I've attached a photo of one of my awesome meals!)

The course was very well organised with updated and interesting lecture contents.

The staff at Masaryk University were some of the most helpful and genuine people I've met.

Chelsea
Geelong Victoria Australia

Summer program review

I had the most incredible time on the World in Transition and Central European Transformation program. I got to make lots of new friends, learn lots about the history of central Europe and visit so many beautiful countries. We didn't spend too much time in the classroom but we were still provided with enough time to learn the content and study for our assessments. There were always activities organised and none of us were ever bored with nothing to do. Brno was a gorgeous city to live and study in for the three weeks of the program. Brno was not that large that you felt overwhelmed or could easily got lost. Instead I felt like I transitioned quite well into the Czech lifestyle and I soon considered Brno to be home during that time, as I know some of the other students did as well. We were provided with such amazing opportunities to explore as we visited a new country each weekend. We were very well looked after and all of the people helping us went out of their way and beyond to ensure we had a fantastic time. I truly feel like this program emerged us into the Czech culture, provided us with lots of knowledge regarding central Europe and its history and allowed us to see and do so much in such a limited period of time. I would highly recommend this program to any student looking at studying abroad.

Danie
Melbourne
Deakin University

Such an amazing experience !

This program was fantastic. The staff were all so helpful and supportive even before we got to Brno and met them in person. Learning about the history of Central Europe and its transformation was so interesting, particularly because of the way the learning process was set out. Each topic was taught by different people which allowed us to hear different views which was so beneficial. The extra activities outside the classes - both the optional and mandatory ones - provided us all with an alternative way to learning about the transformation so we weren't just stuck in a classroom all day. These activities also allowed us to explore Brno as well as Prague, Slovakia, Budapest and Vienna which was incredible. The people we studied with became life-long friends and we still remain in contact with the staff because they, too, became good friends. I would highly recommend anyone who wants to study overseas to apply for this program because it was an experience I will forever be grateful for.

Making a few mandatory activities become optional because there was so many things to do that it was a little exhausting. But still really good !

Julia
Melbourne

Amazing experience

Great teachers, interesting content and great to visit the places we were learning about. Very busy program, be prepared for lots of learning and study. The content is interesting however and there is plenty of time for fun. I barely slept the whole time but it was worth it! All the staff went above and beyond to help us, and were so friendly. Brno was a great town to be based in as it was cheap, easy to get around and also felt very traditional 'Czech'. The weekend trips were lots of fun however whenever we went away we couldn't wait to get back 'home' to Brno!

Longer :)

Melanie

Life-changing

I didn't know much about Communism in Central Europe at all before taking part in this program, and didn't know much about Central Europe as a region either. This program changed all of that! I now consider myself that much more informed about the world, having been immersed in rich Czech culture. Learning about the social, economic and legal consequences of the fall of Communism in the region was one thing, but learning that the Communist era was only one chapter in this region's long, colourful history was quite another (sitting in a Turkish bath house in Budapest overlooking the city will do that to you).

At Masaryk University, we believe that education is not just a matter of age or social status. We actively support research. We are open-minded and dedicated to influencing the lives of people around us.

We know that creating a smarter world is a collaborative task.