Athena Study Abroad in Quito, Ecuador

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Athena Study Abroad.

Quito, Ecuador is located in the upper region of South America, close to Columbia. It is a remarkable city that infuses South American, European, and indigenous elements. The World Heritage List – a primary authority on recognizing locations of significance – declared Quito as its first city on the list. It is a study abroad location for those who wish to master the Spanish language and gain global work experience during an internship.

Students will be studying at Academia Latinoamericana, a world class institution known for immersive Spanish language courses and Andean culture with small, personalized classes. It is accredited by the ministry of education in Ecuador and an accredited member of the Latin American Council of Spanish Academies.

• There are numerous ways to give back to the community when studying abroad. Just to name a few volunteering options available, students can partake in working in orphanages, animals shelters, schools, and more!
  • Semester students are given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to participate in an additional trip to the Galapagos Islands!

Emma

Best decision ever!

Studying broad with Athena Study Abroad was such a great decision! The program and administration from both Athena and the host school was so incredibly kind and sweet, they were always willing to help no mater what it was and wanted to make sure I felt comfortable and having a good time. The academics were also really great, the classes were very interesting and had a good variety, I learned a lot and my Spanish definitely improved. I was impressed with all the internship and volunteering opportunities, I interned with an indigenous family in Otavalo, were I lived with an indigenous family for 3 weeks learning about their customs, culture, traditions, language and food! I loved the city of Quito as well and all the country has to offer! I definitely recommend this program to anyone interested in South America, also anyone wanting a smaller family like provider who really care about you personally.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The strangest thing I ate in Ecuador was guinea pig, they are not pets there, they are raised as delicacy and are often expensive. It was definitely interesting not what I expected it to taste like but I'm glad I tried it.