View Other Details
Nestled high in the Andean foothills, Quito is home to over 1.8 million people and a UNESCO World Heritage Site just waiting to be explored, making it the perfect destination if you love spending a lot of time outdoors. A climb to the city’s surrounding mountains gives you a stunning view of colonial Spanish architecture and the valley.
IES Abroad invites you to Ecuador to experience everything its capital has to offer while honing your Spanish and expanding your academic knowledge. Imagine observing Ecuadorian customs at a traditional fiesta, or visiting local markets and handicraft workshops. Wherever possible, our courses take advantage of the city’s many historical, artistic, and cultural sites. Several courses also include a hands-on, practical component. Welcome to study abroad!
- Explore Ecuador and its surrounding regions through IES Abroad field trips. Past trips include: Galapagos Islands, Camino del Sol, and the Amazon region
- Whether you're a beginner Spanish-speaker, ready to fully immerse yourself in the language, or somewhere in between there is a program with the right language requirement for you in Ecuador.
- Customize your schedule with courses options taught by world-class professors at our IES Abroad Centers and at prestigious local universities.
- Feel at home and learn about the culture of Ecuador while living with a local host family or señora.
- You’ll have an individual IES Abroad Program Advisor to guide you before your study abroad adventure. From visa requirements to travel details, they are your #1 resource for preparing to study abroad
If you’re interested in improving your Spanish language skills, this program offers you the opportunity to rapidly improve your Spanish through a rigorous language course taught by IES Abroad. You select the remainder of your courses from options available at IES Abroad and prestigious local universities.
While in Quito, you will directly enroll at the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) and take all of your courses at the University. Because USFQ offers nearly 1,500 courses each semester in a wide variety of disciplines, students with almost any academic interest can find exciting and challenging enrollment options.
Based in Quito and featuring three weeks of field study in the Galápagos Islands, this program allows you to study issues of environmental management and preservation, while exploring Ecuador’s rich ecology. The program is organized in cooperation with the Galápagos Academic Institute for the Arts and Sciences (GAIAS) and the Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ). All Environmental Studies courses are taught in English, and previous Spanish study is not required.
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid
Financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why IES Abroad offers more than $6 million in scholarships and aid. IES Abroad offers a number of diversity scholarships and grants to provide opportunities for traditionally underrepresented communities in study abroad.