Randolph College Abroad: Program in England

Randolph College Abroad: Program in England

Enroll directly and study abroad at the University of Reading, one of England's most prestigious universities. Study abroad students can elect to spend a semester or full academic year here, located just 40 miles west of London. You'll be studying alongside local students and other international students form over 40 different countries. Cultural diversity is definitely a highlight of this study abroad program.

All students are required to take an interdisciplinary seminar entitled "The World in Britain." This seminar gives you the context for many things that you will see and do while in England through a survey of the principal social, political, and cultural developments during the periods 1485-1750 (fall semester) and 1750 to the present (spring semester).

This is an academically strong study abroad program for students interested in the subjects listed below. Please visit our website to learn more about studying abroad in Reading with Randolph College Abroad.

Europe » England » Reading
Reading

kristinehooker
Columbia, SC

Wonderful Program

I highly recommend this program. Excellent value. Great experiential learning opportunities. Good combination of learning, exploration and fun. The faculty and staff were wonderful. This is a life-changing experience.

Em
Minnesota

Best Experience Abroad

This was a wonderful experience. The people involved in the program both on campus and in England were always there to help if you needed it. The classes were amazing. As a history student, being able to visit the places you have studied is unbelievable. I took courses on Medieval History which were fascinating. There were several trips to different parts of England and Wales that were part of the program. Even though they were educational, they were so much fun. I even got to travel around Europe during breaks which is amazing to do. I made wonderful friends and had unique experiences during my time abroad. I wouldn't change a thing and I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes to experience new things.

Macon
MA

Upper-Class Student

When I first arrived in Reading, the most difficult challenge I faced was finding a line-up of courses which I had not previously taken back home in the US. Being an upper-class student going into Reading can be quite challenging, because Reading University is only designed for 3-year students, so course options can be very limited by the time Randolph/US University students arrive in third year.

I had so much trouble putting together a course schedule that worked, that my course selections were based merely on what I COULD take, rather than what I wanted to take. Eventually I made a schedule that worked, but my professors would add extra meetings, or on one occasion, my professor actually FORGOT to come to class and had to reschedule for a different day. The result was that all my courses over-lapped and I missed important classwork.

The courses were nothing but challenging though, and certainly put my brain power to the test. I took strong interest in each class I eventually signed up for, and found myself rather eagerly awaiting classes each week. Professors were always simple to contact, and remained after class for questions. I found even for my enormous lecture classes, my professors learned my name just because I took the time to approach them. I definitely would encourage any future students to take the time to initiate conversation with each professor.

The rest of the program was the most comfortable and amazing experience I could have hoped for while living abroad. The staff was excellent at catering to the students' needs, and supported us as we ventured into the community. Reading can be at times a dangerous town to be out in, very unlike the area of the US which I was fortunate enough to grow up in. All students I had the opportunity to meet carried assault alarms with them, something I never felt I needed to carry prior to my time in Reading. As long as students remain cautious, Reading is a safe enough town, and has its charm.

This review/comment section was not meant to sound so negative along the lines of scheduling and safety in the community, but I'd like future students to be aware of the potential difficulties which may arise during a study abroad session here, or anywhere for that matter.

Amanda
Mobile, AL
Teach Abroad

Outstanding in everyway.

Would recommend to any and everyone who is interested in a challenging program abroad! The courses are challenging and interesting the tutors are excellent. The living quarters are very convenient to the campus and to the bus stop which goes right into town. The train to London is easy to get to and runs often. The university is open and accepting to the students. The winter and spring breaks make traveling on the continent easy and enjoyable.

l.l.
Jacksonville, FL
Harrington College of Design

a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Although it has been over 20 years that I spent my junior year abroad with Randolph-Macon Woman's College, I can still recall vividly so many of my experiences! Academically, the program was setup to allow the students to not only study the history and culture of Old Britain, but live it as well through amazing field trips and excursions. There were also opportunities to attend classes at Oxford! So much of the learning was practical and experienced through all the senses; seeing flying buttresses, tasting pub food,tea and scones, smelling fresh countryside,feeling dark, tight spaces while walking up bell towers, hearing the hustle and bustle of London streets. And this is the least that you'll do. We all took the opportunity to travel all throughout the year as that was part of our learning. I was in Cairo for Christmas, Edinborough for New Year's, Corfu for spring break and Amsterdam on a last minute weekend trip on the fly. And that's only the beginning. I also became involved at the Student Union working at the Mandela Bar which provided the chance to meet alot of students. This put us in touch with several sports teams, drama clubs, debate clubs, etc where we also became involved. All in all, this was the most incredible experience that could never be replicated. I had many experiences, saw several countries, meet plenty of people, some of whom I still keep in touch with today. Just last month I received a care package with momentos from the Royal Wedding. Everyone needs a Will and Kate tea towel! If you have this chance, take it!

Mary
Delaware

I loved it!

I have to say that my junior year abroad had a huge impact on my life. The seminars that we took as a group - traveling to historically significant locations throughout Great Britain - were wonderful. I loved the interesting old houses we lived in, and really really enjoyed the long vacations. I spent those traveling in Europe! Spending the entire school year there, as opposed to just a semester, was particularly wonderful.

lee
Maryland
Study Abroad

Fantastic Experience

This was a fantastic program. I was living with other American students, but totally connected to the British students and classes. The seminars taught specifically for students in this program were great too!

owen
Virginia

Experience of a Lifetime

Attending Randolph College's Reading Program was the most enriching academic, social and personally broadening experience of my college years. This particular program allows for a full academic year of study along with opportunities for extensive travel during that time. I found this arrangement particularly appealing and rewarding.

The staff is both helpful and protective but not overly so by any means. You are encouraged to make responsible adult decisions and independence is fostered. With that said, staff is available at all times to listen and help the students with any issue or concern.

Biggest difficulty: remembering at all times to look for oncoming traffic correctly before crossing the street.

Greatest delights: London on weekends, refined manners among the English, extensive travel, challenging academics.

DPK
Washington State

RMWC 1975-6

I graduated from Randolph-Macon Woman's College in 1977, and thoroughly enjoyed my junior year abroad at the Univ of Reading. The program was academically challenging, and the tutorial format made me stretch to think for myself.

Living among, and socializing with, the English students led to close, lifelong friendships. It also broadened my view of the USA and of the world - let's say it awakened my global awareness.

The opportunity to travel across Europe for weeks at a time was one which I will always cherish.

I recommend studying abroad to everyone, and I recommend the Randolph College experience because of the safe and supportive framework that it provides for its students abroad.

Stephanie
Notre Dame, IN

Great Life Decision

I was very excited by the prospects of being able to study abroad, but this program really exceeded my expectations in terms of experience. I highly recommend going for the full year because after the first semester you finally feel more acclimated to the country and social norms and start becoming more integrated into the community. The year abroad gave me the opportunity to join clubs and teams, make real lasting friendships, as well as travel more. I was the first one in my family to go abroad (non-military) and it was such an eye-opening experience. It changed me and my perspective of the world for the better and gave me chance to explore different thoughts and ideals.

Lois
Ashland, VA
Greenville College

The best year of my life

My year at Reading (1972-73) was the best year of my life. I loved Britain and the British and have returned several times. I did not want to return home. Broadening my horizons was invaluable and travelling the world as a student is totally different than as an older adult. It was an experience that cannot be repeated. All students should spend time abroad.

mlblakeslee
CT

Best year ever!

Where to begin? The houses are great as a base of operations (and when you need some 'American' time). The 17 bus comes by every 10mins to take you into town. Walk or ride one of the house bikes to class. Reading has a great campus! 360, the uni nightclub is fun, and there is a good gym, as well as sports clubs - I did Ultimate Frisbee & Equestrian team.

Loved the weekend excursions to the Lake district, Stonehenge, Liverpool, etc. Just a great mix of academics (pass/fail system), culture, and socializing! Just go already!

bschwen
Denver, CO

Amazing Experience!

The opportunity to live abroad for a year was absolutely tremendous, and particularly to have done so through such a high quality program. The program is very well run with terrific support staff and academics.

I really loved being there for the entire school year as it offered us a chance to see a broad spectrum of life abroad and really forced us to make it 'home' as opposed to just an extended trip.

JR
Dallas, TX
Study Abroad

Wonderful Year

It was such a great year. Reading is a short train ride from London and Oxford, allowing study in both. I learned so much in the classroom and out.

bedeah
Oklahoma
Governors State University

Amazing year

I came to Reading/R-MWC from a large, state school. My year in Reading absolutely changed my life, and it is a year about which I have absolutely no regrets. The people were incredible. Living in England in 141 Whiteknights is something I still miss, and I learned so much that year. Some of the best professors of my life were in Reading, and I was able to really get the most out of my education, taking everything from American Literature (in England!) to a final-year Environmental Biology class.

Being there a year made all the difference. We were able to immerse ourselves in "life at Reading," and because of that, I made friendships that endure to this day, and we all meet up every year or so for a "mini reunion."

I looked at a lot of study abroad programs when I was planning on transferring. This one was the absolute best -- program history, strong academics, great support, the whole shebang -- and I'm thankful every day that I made the decision to transfer and not only become part of the R-MWC family, but part of the long history of R-MWC Readingites.

maconite
Lake Forest, CA
Greenville College

A year that will change your life

I wish that I could express how much my year in Reading meant to me, but there are no words for how this program changed my life. It has been 14 years since I left the program, and the memories from that year are still so vivid. The education that you receive through this program and from immersing yourself in English culture for a full year is like no other. Reading is just a half hour from London by train, so you can easily access everything the historical, phenomenal city has to offer. It's also just a short distance from Oxford, Bath, and everywhere else in Great Britain and Europe, so the education that you receive from travel alone is worth every penny. I consider the professors who run the program to be among the best that I have had. And living in the three houses just outside of the University of Reading campus afforded us access to everything on campus and the freedom to explore the city around it.

Victoria
Nantucket, Massachusetts

Work 40 hours, play 40 hours, sleep 40 hours

I learned early in my year abroad that the British student takes work very seriously, but then has guilt free play time! Attend tutorials and seminars, do the research and written work, then join your friends for the evening.

I would wake up, have breakfast in the cafeteria, go to the library, tutorial, whatever - then there was always some dance somewhere!

I also joined friends to take a local bus to explore the country on weekends, or take a day trip to London - train tickets are inexpensive for a day-return - students can go into art museums for free! See first hand all the things you are learning about in books, it makes it all come to life, makes you really care about what you are learning. I was poor, so I'd pack marmalade sandwiches from breakfast, and buy a cup of tea somewhere!

Don't know about now, but there were always cheap - nosebleed - seats for great theatre or opera performances, and for dance, the panorama is best from up above anyway!

I traveled to Germany for my winter break, Greece and Italy for spring - again, poor, but rail passes, grocery store or market for food - one learns the language very quickly when negotiating for staples. I met so many people who were willing to help.

The experience at Reading is one I will never forget. I had tutors who would answer every question, or send me to find even more questions, which is even better.

The group tours we took to stately homes, palaces, gardens, after having the information about history, architecture, political climate - opened my eyes which, I hope, have remained open.

RobinMPH
Atlanta, Georgia

The best

My year in the World in Britain program was formative and life affirming. While in Reading, I made many new best friends, gained cultural experience and sensitivity, had the opportunity to take graduate level classes in my area of interest (public health) and travel to amazing places. The program administration is the best with an in house program director to coach students through new experiences. The rapport the program has with the University of Reading virtually guarantees admission into exciting and interesting classes and an identity on campus. Reading is a great city only 30 minutes from Paddington by train and boasts the second best location in the South of England to shop next to London. The camaraderie I was able to establish with my peers and housemates is one that I carry well after graduation and the opportunity to return to Reading a few months ago, 2 years after I left, reaffirmed my opinion that this is the best program for study abroad in England.

harmony001
Madison Heights, VA

Best year of college!

I loved attending classes, working, and living in England for an entire year! I would definitely recommend attending for the year, instead of just one semester if possible. The field trips were amazing as we were able to see history that America simply doesn't have. The houses were wonderful to live in, and the roommates are great. Students who go to Reading in this program are interested in having fun, but also have an educational experience. That's a great combination... you'll make lasting memories and friendships!

mlhodge
Richmond, VA

Best year of my life

I graduated in 2004, and my year abroad in the Reading program is still the best year of my life, for many reasons--the opportunity to take tutorials with Oxford professors, the proximity of Reading to London and the continent, and the sheer wonderfulness of the program director. One of my fondest memories is of taking a Victorian novel class with just one other student at the program director's house, where we'd discuss the 800-page book of the week over tea and with his cat purring next to us on the couch. Heaven!
Another wonderful thing about this program is that you go with a cohort of classmates, so you aren't just thrown abroad to fend for yourself; you're on a learning curve with other students from your institution. My sister spent her junior year abroad in Leeds but as an individual student, and she often felt overwhelmed because she didn't know who to ask for help.

Randolph College believes that learning from other cultures is an essential part of a college education. By learning and living abroad, students learn to broaden their horizons, learn about other cultures, and gain a better understanding of global issues. To see more information, check out