API Abroad: Université de Caen, Basse-Normandie

Students in Caen
Students in Caen
Study French abroad in Caen with API
Study French abroad in Caen with API

Take your French language abilities to a new level and study abroad in France with API. You'll be studying alongside 24,000 other students at the Université de Caen, Basse-Normandie, one of Europe’s oldest academic institutions and centrally located in Caen. The focus of this program is on French language and culture, with numerous opportunities to escape the classroom and travel throughout France to test your practical knowledge of French.

The city of Caen is located along the Normandy coast just two hours away from Paris. The region is renown for it's picturesque scenery and amazing cuisine, including some of the best cheese and wine varieties in the world! If you're looking for a more authentic French experience, this is the place to find it!

API Scholarships
API Scholarships and Financial Aid Information

API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.

$250 - $1,000

Miranda

Caen, my second home

My reason for studying abroad with API in Caen was simple: they were the only program that didn't say "no" or "not possible" when I asked if I could find a host family for me and my cat. While they weren't able to, they searched and they involved more than just the director in Caen in their hunt for the perfect host family for the two of us. When it became clear that I wouldn't be able to bring my cat abroad, they helped me find a family with the next best thing: and amazing and friendly dog. I've been dealing with anxiety for the past few years, and though it sounds silly, my cat has greatly helped in reduce panic attacks, thus the need for her abroad. However, because API was able to find me a family with an incredible friendly dog I was able to cuddle her instead. Thus my year in Caen began, at the train station (after an incredible orientation in Paris, mind you) on my knees hugging this gorgeous dog (Gaia) who would quickly snuggle her way into my heart.

API would be nothing without their incredible program directors and on-site-advisers, for me in Caen, that would be Caroline. She was there at a moments notice for my first three weeks when I battled an ear infection, strep throat, and then an allergic reaction to all the antibiotics. She sat down with me for for hours to discuss my future plans in France and to give me advise on jobs and housing and all the paperwork in between!

As for the academics in Caen. I've never loved learning French as much as I did this year abroad. Between phonetics, grammar, literature, gastronomy, culture, and arts, I learned and improved more than I ever thought possible.

Even the city of Caen I loved, despite 80% being destroyed during WWII enough remained to exude that French charm and at the same time be modern and functional.

I can't recommend API Caen enough. It changed my life for the better and I can only hope it will continue to do the same to future students.

NA