Study Abroad in Grenoble, France: Intensive French Language Program: Semester or Academic Year

Spend a semester or academic year in Grenoble, France with AIFS. You’ll earn up to 15 credits per semester through the Intensive French Language Program at the Université Grenoble Alpes. Courses are taught in English and French, with no prior French language studies required.

Students can take a service learning component in addition to the standard courses. Volunteer opportunities include designing and running English language workshops for French high school students or French undergraduate students.

You’ll enjoy cultural and social activities including:
• Guided city walks
• Visits to local museums
• French cooking classes
• A ride on the famous cable cars over the city
• Hiking trips
• Language exchange with French students
• Day trips to Lyon and Annecy
• 3-day trip to Provence
• 4-day trip to Paris.
Optional excursions include a 2-day visit to Vercors (fall only) and a 2-day trip to an Alpine resort (spring only).

• Earn up to 15 credits and transcript issued by the Université Grenoble Alpes
  • 3-day trip to Provence
  • 4-day excursion to Paris
  • No previous French language studies required
  • Housing in homestay or, for a supplemental fee, a student residence

Whitney

Best Decision Ever!

My time in Grenoble, France was the best decision I have ever made for myself. Everything from the views, to my host family, to my new friends, was AMAZING. My time abroad is something that I will cherish forever, and I want everybody to experience what I did. Through AIFS, I was able to do so many things that I would have never gotten to do. We went snowshoeing in the mountains, tried authentic French cheese, made crepes, and so much more. Not only was I able to explore Grenoble, but I was fortunate enough to go to several other countries. These experiences are once in a lifetime and I hope one day to return to all of the places I visited. I am so thankful that I took the leap to study abroad. If you are on the fence, just do it! You most likely won't get an opportunity like this outside of college.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would make sure to take in every opportunity that I am given. I do not regret anything, but I do wish that I had traveled more than I did.
Kara

GRENOBLE: I'd Go Back Today If I Could

When I think back on my study abroad semester I can't help but get so excited about Grenoble, the city where I spent four months of my life. I miss it everyday and I want everyone to go abroad when they are still in school in order to get out of the culture bubble we grow up in.
I chose to live with a host family, and was placed with a beautiful family about 30 min from the city center. At first I wasn't sure if I enjoyed being a distance away from the university or the city center but then I enjoyed the commute on the trams, buses, or even my bike I rented from the tourism office.
The program director was very accessible and very helpful from the orientation weekend to the final departure. Miranda provided multiple tools for learning and cultural engagement like, day or weekend excursions, wine and cooking classes, conversational partners, tours of the city, etc. I look forward to reconnecting with her when I get the chance to return.
The classes, while a little bit crazy at first getting situated, were challenging but not too time consuming. I really enjoyed being fully immersed in the classroom during my french class and then at home with my french family. AIFS covers breakfast and dinner for the Grenoble option, so I was only needing to pay for lunch each day.
Being surrounded by three grand mountain chains, was a "jigsaw puzzle view". Somedays I felt like I was dreaming or living in a movie backdrop. Coming from a Florida girl, I was in awe by where I was living. There are many hikes to go on, ski resorts to visit and food to indulge on.
Take chances in language, food, adventures, and life. GO study abroad!!

More classes offered apart from the french courses.