Study Abroad in Berlin, Germany: Humboldt-Universität: Summer

A palace in Tierpark, the zoo next to our apartments
Street performers in the middle of the city
Friends in Prague
Atop the Reichstag building overlooking Berlin
Sanssouci Palace- it means no worries
Brandenburg Gate
AIFS Berlin, Germany

Spend the summer in the modern and historic city of Berlin with AIFS! You’ll earn up to 6 credits per session through a variety of courses studying at Humboldt–Universität. Courses are taught in English or German with no previous German language study required.

Live in a university apartment with a shared kitchen and bathroom. Not far from the subway, commuting to campus will be easy from your apartment. A meal card to subsidize the cost of lunches on campus is included in your program fee.

In Berlin, enjoy cultural and social activities such as:
• Museum tours
• Cultural and historical site visits
• A boat trip
• Day trip to Potsdam
• Day trip to Baltic Sea (Session 1 only)
• Day trip to Dresden (Session 2 only).
Optional excursions include a 3-day trip to Warsaw, Poland (session 1), and a 3-day trip to Prague, Czech Republic (session 2).

• Earn up to 6 credits and transcript issued by Humboldt–Universität
  • Day trip to Potsdam
  • Excursion to Baltic Sea (session 1) or to Dresden (session 2)
  • Transportation pass and museum pass included
  • No previous German language study required

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Nicole

There's a whole other world that I love.

This program was perfect for me. It was four weeks in the summer of 2014 when I went, and it was perfect because that didn't interfere with any of my classes during the year. The class that I took was called "Land in the City, Green in the City," and it explored all the ways that Berlin incorporates plants, trees and other greenery into the city. We spent maybe one day a week actually in class and the rest was spent exploring the various forests, parks, rooftop gardens, university greenhouses, and buildings with greenery inside or on the outside of the building. The rest of the time was spent exploring the city and pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. I wouldn't have had so many delicious meals if I hadn't pushed myself. We also had excursions planned for three of the four weekends. We went to Potsdam, Dresden, and Prague in the Czech Republic. Our director was also super helpful with planning any additional trips, or even just to find the best food around. Leaving Berlin was just as hard as leaving my hometown to go to Berlin. More than anything, I feel like I left a piece of my heart there and I want to go back and visit very soon.

Emily

Exploration and Beyond

This program allowed a lot more freedom and independence than I expected coming in. Mostly, I was pretty scared to to go abroad, so going off on my own wasn't an idea I'd thought about. But once there, I saw how easy it was to be anonymous and adventurous. There were several days out of the week I'd dedicate to exploring the city on my own. The classrooms are located in the heart of the city, within walking distance of some of the biggest attractions like the TV Tower, The Berliner Dome, and Museum Island. I ended up getting a year long museum pass and going to the museums after class several times a week. The trip allowed me to come back to America more open and independent than when I left.

Read my full story