American Association of Teachers of German Summer Study Program

American Association of Teachers of German Summer Study Program

Are you a high school student looking for adventure in Germany? Are you a parent looking to provide your child a summer study opportunity with a proven track record? Are you a teacher looking for a three-week immersion program where students connect with German language and culture?

The German Summer Study Program for High School Students provides a three-week homestay and school experience. Students live with a German family, attend classes, visit regional attractions, and experience the German language and culture firsthand. Students return speaking German better—with a greater sense of confidence, maturity, and independence.

Europe » Germany
German
Age Requirement
Language Requirement
The price for the program for Summer 2016 is $3,875. This includes international airfare from the US departure city, transportation in Germany, accommodations, meals, and all course costs. Your price for our 21-day experience is lower than 10-day offerings by commercial programs. Program price is based on airfares and exchange rates and subject to change. Price guarantee—no price changes for participants once they register.

Chloe
Conway, New Hampshire

I learned so much!

When I first arrived, my German speaking skills weren't as good as I, and most likely my family, expected. After the three weeks; however, I noticed my comprehension, speaking, and reading skills had greatly improved. My host family was very supportive and tried their hardest to help me improve my skills. One day, I was grocery shopping with my mom and she had me name different foods she pointed to. When we got to one I didn't know, she would tell me and I would repeat it back to her. I'm sure that the effort my family put in to help me is why my German language skills improved so much.

It wasn't enforced that we speak German with our fellow American's, except for in the classroom when a teacher was there. On excursions, we spoke in English, so I really only spoke German with my family. Although my language skills improved, I can't imagine how much better I would be if I had spoken German 100% of the time.

Glen
St. Louis

Bratwursts and More

The AATG summer study program is a truly one-of-a-kind experience. It's three weeks of complete immersion: German in school (the Gymnasium), German at home, and German with friends. My stay in Bonn was far better than I had hoped for. My host family was extremely nice, and they showed me real German culture, the kind of everyday culture you won't find at hotels. They took me kayaking on the Rhine and brought me to a cello masterclass (I'm a cellist) at the Beethoven House led by the famous Steven Isserlis!

At school, I experienced a range of classes led in German. That was another avenue for enlightenment, one I wouldn't, and couldn't have experienced without the AATG. There were several excursions, including one to Cologne and one to Burg Eltz. Essentially, I got to do all the tourist-y things in Germany, while still completely immersed in the language and culture.

If that doesn't convince you, then maybe the fact that I was given ample free time to explore the city will. With easy access to public transportation and ten friends, I was able to take in German culture in its most direct form: food. Assortments of sausages, kebabs, and sauerkraut were set forth and promptly consumed. Needless to say, it was amazing.

As an added bonus, my host father noticed I was reading a book about ancient history and took me around Bonn to various Roman ruins, and gave me a book about it at the end of my stay. The program was pretty much the most authentic German experience you can get. It was a boost to my facility in German, but more importantly, further invigorated my spirit for learning German, even back in the States.

Noah

The Best Part of My Summer!

The 3 weeks I spent abroad with AATG were some of the best of my summer a few years ago. The program really hit me when we were cruising along the Donau and I saw a monument up on the hill, and told my friends that it would be so cool to go and see it! Soon after me saying that, the boat proceeded to dock and I found out we were headed their all along! It was an amazing trip and I would highly recommend it!

With over 4,000 members, the American Association of Teachers of German is for teachers of German at all levels of instruction and all those interested in the teaching of German. Founded in 1926, AATG believes that bringing the language, literature, and cultures of the German