Germany: Lüneburg - German Language, European and Sustainability Studies

Stintmarkt
Am Sande
Lüneburg's Rathaus
Lüneburg!
The girls from the Fall 2012 group before a night on the Reeperbahn.
Two friends and I before going out for the night in Lüneburg
My bedroom in downtown Lüneburg
Typical street in downtown

In Luneburg, a beautiful, historical city dating back more than a thousand years, USAC students study intensive elementary, intermediate, and advanced German language. The USAC program is located at the Leuphana University Luneburg (formerly University of Luneburg), where you can participate in university activities and clubs and become acquainted with local students.

You can also take elective courses, taught in English or German, in subjects such as political science, anthropology, economics, and speech communication, and qualified students can apply for a work-study grant or for an internship at a local business. Field trips to regional sites of interest, for example to Hamburg, Schwerin, and Lubeck, are included in the program, giving you opportunities to learn more about the country, the history of the area, and the German people.

• Live in a vibrant university town and a beautiful medieval setting just 30 minutes away from Hamburg
  • Join in a wide range of extracurricular activities on and off campus and take advantage of the study and bus pass which is included in the program fee
  • Feel at home with the help of local students and language partners
  • Enjoy field trips and the tour of Berlin, where you can explore its history and exciting and diverse cultural life
  • Renewable Resources students (graduate and undergraduate) interested in study abroad should consider direct enrollment courses at Leuphana through USAC

New Program: Comparative Studies: Uruguay and Cuba Summer Session

Study abroad Summer 2020 for eight weeks, beginning in Montevideo, Uruguay and continuing to La Habana, Cuba, for a comparative Latin studies program ideal for any student and of particular interest to health, gender and Spanish language students.

USAC Scholarships
USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Hi Diana, no you do not need a bachelors degree to go on one of our programs, a majority of them are actually for undergrads. Here are the general requirements to study abroad on a USAC program: USAC welcomes students from any US college or university who: Are at least 18 years old at the time of application and who will be enrolled in a university degree-seeking program while they are abroad...

Kelly

Just Go

I thought my host mom was kidding when she told me to pack an umbrella. Needless to say, within the first week I had to buy one (and it's still at my host family's house!).
Lüneburg is a beautiful with the loveliest people. USAC wasn't originally my first choice, but I'm so glad the other program didn't work out. As an advanced learner, the program was still able to challenge me and provide me with full support. There were several opportunities to travel with the program and independently. My host family was an absolute dream. If I had one suggestion above any other--stay with a family. I wish I had been able to stay for a full year. I've almost completed graduate school, and I'm trying to find any way back!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Nothing. I wouldn't change a single thing about this program.
Nico

Amazing Experience

I had such a fantastic time studying with the USAC program in Germany. Not only did I learn more of the language, but I really got to enjoy the city I lived in, as well as the whole country. The field trips we took around the country were unforgettable, I learned something new each time. It was also so easy to make friends, both with locals and in the program. There's so much to do within the city itself; from museums to restaurants to karaoke bars to student events, I barely even had time to travel to other places. The ease of movement within the European Union was great as well, I took advantage of the unique opportunity I had to travel to places I had only dreamed about seeing before. All said, I can't wait to be back in Germany again!!!

Be open to any and all experiences. Don't be afraid to look stupid, ask questions and lose yourself in the journey.
Samantha

BEST SUMMER EVER!

I spent the summer of 2016 in Lüneburg and it was beyond amazing! The on-site staff are so kind and helpful when you need something or have questions. They even had weekly cultural activities like afternoon cake-time and stuff like that just to check in with us!

The city itself is gorgeous, historical, and has everything you need and more. It is small enough to be cozy and see everything in a summer semester, but big enough to offer city amenities also.

One of my favorite things is the restaurant on the river! It is a must-try.

And, not to mention, it was all for the same price that I would've paid at my college anyways! USAC is terrific is so terrific and budget friendly, you simply couldn't ask for better.

It was hands-down the best summer of my life.

Honestly, nothing. I loved everything about this program!
Ryker

Fairytale Town

I studied abroad in the Fall of 2016. It was the most amazing experience I've ever had in schooling. It gave you the freedom to explore and discover while having a central located area to come back to, and call home. I met tons of friends, and saw many countries. I got to meet locals, and other travelers alike, and hear their experiences while sharing mine. The city of Luneburg is gorgeous and feels almost medieval. I highly recommend this program!

I would recommend that the housing be displayed a bit more openly to the students about to travel abroad!
Keri

Luneburg, Germany

The city was amazing! Small and very easy to get around. The University provided student tickets that let you take any public transportation (metro, buses) for free in Lower Saxony. I went for the first summer session and it was an alright experience. I only got to hang out with the other American participants. There were no organized events to meet German students, which is what I wanted. The program leaders didn't even release a list of things to do in the city and surrounding areas till the last week I was there. This bummed me out as there were many cool things available that I didn't know about.
Overall, I loved being overseas and Luneburg and all the German cities I saw, but the program coordinators could have been more helpful in helping us meet German students and know things to do in our spare time.

Program Coordinators in Germany should make events for the American students to meet German students. Also, the American students should be given the list of things to do at the orientation, not at the end of the program.
Amber

Trip of a Lifetime

I always wanted to go to Germany since most of my family is German. I had the summer of a lifetime abroad and would study abroad through USAC again. I did an apartment and it was awesome. I wish it was more dorm style since we were all pretty spread out throughout the city and it was sometimes hard to hang out with friends when the buses were not running. Make sure to get a bike! The USAC advisers were awesome (Vero and Lenart). Travel as much as you can while you are over there!

More information to residents before hand.
Hannah

Best year of my life!

I did the yearlong program in Lüneburg and it was easily the best year of my life so far. The classes were straight forward and the staff was always willing to support you and aid you in your studies. Classes run from Monday to Thursday with exams on Fridays about every two weeks, so there are many opportunities to travel on the weekends if you plan accordingly. I had the opportunity to participate in an internship at a local high school or Gymnasium and observe English as a foreign language class. This gave me the opportunity to not only help the teachers in class, but also to expose German students to American English, the culture, and to help them understand current events in America. I also had the opportunity to get a language partner and that experience was really beneficial in helping my ability to express myself fluently, my understanding of the culture, and of course getting the opportunity to make a new friend. My housing situation was wonderful, I lived in a shared apartment with German students, who were really fun, and I was able to make German friends through them. Lüneburg is such a beautiful, unique town, unlike any German town I've ever been too. All in all, my experience in Lüneburg was spectacular and I have no regrets about my decision to study here.

More integration with the German students was the biggest complaint of most of my friends and classmates. USAC classes are German language learning centric and are only offered to USAC students; therefore, all your classes are only with USAC students and not German students.
Kat

Best Decision!!!

I totally fell in love with Germany through this program. The way the courses are organized is very straight-forward and engaging, the professors care about your success as a student, the language classes are very in-depth and challenging, the community in Luneburg is very friendly and are patient if your German isn't great, and my homestay was fantastic! Overall, terrific experience and I got to see most of Europe during my time throughout this program.
I would highly recommend this to anyone even remotely interested in studying in Europe.

Cami

During Deutschland

I studied abroad with USAC during Fall 2016. I was in Lüneburg, a small town about thirty minutes outside of Hamburg, for four months and I learned more about myself and my culture during that time than I ever expected to. In my opinion Lüneburg was the perfect city to study in. It was small enough that you weren't surrounded by tourists and people who were going to be speaking English, but close enough to a big city that it was easy to travel around and find the resources that you needed.
I stayed with a host family that quickly became like a real family. Choosing this housing option made my experience better than I could have ever hoped. It really gave me the opportunity to fully immerse myself in the language and the culture. USAC offered multiple different housing options, though, so if this hadn't been the best choice for me it would have been easy to find a new situation.
The classes were awesome! I did the language intensive program, so I took four semesters worth of German classes in the timespan of one semester helping me finish my minor. It might sound scary, but it wasn't! The teachers are very good and very understanding and you can even go study without any prior German language experience!
USAC also provided multiple excursions to other parts of Germany so that we could branch out and see the rest of the country. Even when they didn't have USAC sanctioned events, there was multiple three-day weekends that you could use to go all around. I was able to visit Spain, Copenhagen, Munich, Italy, Amsterdam, and London during my program which was an unbelievable opportunity.
Overall the support and opportunities that USAC gave me made this the best possible experience. I highly recommend studying through USAC if you want a program with a lot of support and options. Now it's time to plan my trip back to Germany!

A couple more opportunities to make friends with the German students studying at the university would help a lot with maintaining the language after leaving.
Kristen

Great Weekend Excursion

We took a weekend into Berlin for a couple days. We stayed in a really nice hostel and were close the public transportation. This weekend was so much fun. Everyday felt like we were in a new city. Berlin was so awesome and beautiful and much to offer to everyone. I loved how USAC gave us a range of things to see an experience while we there for such a short period of time. It was definitely one of my top weekends. We even went to a beautiful concert inside the Berlin Dome! An experience I will never ever forget.

Better communication.
I love Lüneburg, my host family, most of the people in my program, but I'm not a fan of how USAC has organized this program. We are at a University that doesn't begin till a month and half after ours starts. Our interaction with the Germans is for a short period of time. Also, the orientation was horribly planned. It took three days and they still had us go out and do some complicated tasks in a foreign language with hardly any assistance. The residence directors are very nice, and I can tell they mean well and try to help out the students, but they are not the best communicators which makes this whole process a little more overwhelming. On the academic side, the teachers for the non language class are not very organized, and there classes require a lot of work and the assignments are very vague. It's confusing to know what exactly should be done and classes are once a week which makes it even more hard to know what is expected.
I love being here in Germany, and I am incredibly thankful for the experience. I just don't like how this particular program was organized. At the same time, that isn't ruining my time here. It's just something I think could be improved.
Response from USAC

Hi Kristin,
Thank you for your feedback. I’m so glad you had a great time in Berlin! We appreciate hearing how our programs can be improved. Feel free to email me with more specifics at daniellelongley@unr.edu as we would definitely like to smooth out any organizational issues you experienced for our future students.

Danielle
Communications Specialist

Megan

USAC Lüneburg Semester Program

Lüneburg is the perfect city for study abroad - small and local, but with a huge population of international students. Every Wednesday night my friends and I went downtown to the pubs for karaoke, a döner, and a beer. I felt safe enough to walk or bike back every night.

The town is absolutely beautiful- cobblestone streets, decorated rooftops and three huge cathedrals. They have a farmers market with meats, cheeses and fruit every weekend, and bookstores, bakeries, or restaurants on every corner. A short train ride away is Hamburg, and the student ticket we get as part of the USAC program makes travelling to the bigger city (and all of Lower Saxony) free.

The courses USAC offered were a bit insulated from the main school, but still offered a good chance to learn German. I also took a course on Germany under the Third Reich, which had field trips to several locations of note around Lüneburg and gave me a new perspective on the war and German culture.

I absolutely recommend this program to anyone interested in learning German, living somewhere beautiful, or just wanting an adventure. You won't regret it.

Jesus

Best Time of My Life

This was such great program and I would do it again if I could. Lueneburg as a little town in the state of Niedersachsen. Even though it is a smaller city, there is always something to do. And if you prefer big cities, Hamburg is a thirty minute train ride away. And the best thing is that it is free! You are given a student transportation card that lets you ride regional trains and buses for free! So you're able to spend a day in Bremen, Hannover, and many more without spending money on transportation.

The German tracks are intensive but not too time consuming. Typically you go to class Monday - Thursday and have tests on Friday morning about every other week.

Housing really depends on what section of the city you get. There are dorms next to the University, near the city center (30 min walk to campus) and some that are far (William-Watt-Straße is one that I remember).

The biggest improvement that can be made is integrating the US students with the German students. I know that this is a hard task because the Fall semester begins mid-October in Germany. So that doesn't allow for students to have classes together.
Lizzie

Loved it!!

Luneburg is the cutest little medieval town! It's one of the safest cities I've ever lived in. The classes are great and there are tons of opportunities to speak to Germans to improve your skills. I never had a class in German before going and by the time I left I was carrying on long winded conversations with the locals. One of the best parts is as a student you get free train travel anywhere in the state. I went somewhere new every weekend for free.

I had my passport stolen in Belgium and the staff was so helpful and supportive. I had to go to the US embassy in Berlin to get a new one and they set up everything for me.

Christmas in Germany is so so so fun! If you're only going for a semester, I definitely recommend the fall one!

More integration with German students. If you're there for a year you can do a tandem project with a German student, which was great, but if you're only there for a semester it's really hard to meet German students.
Alejandro

USAC Lüneburg

I had a great time in Lüneburg! Lüneburg is a small town near Hamburg with a beautiful old down town. I met so many cool people (most from the us though ;) ) I did not have as much contact with germans because I lived and studied only with students from usac. I wished i had met more germans. The courses were good, i learned so much about european culture and history.

I did not like that USAC was unable to provide enough housing offers in time. Many of us had to change housing after a few weeks. I would not chose USAC housing again.
Kallie

My year in Germany

I really loved this program. When signing up for the program, I listed that I preferred to live on campus. I originally wanted this option because I thought it would be easiest, and because for those of us who aren't morning people it's faster! I do not regret this decision at all! I lived, literally, across the street from the school and it was really nice, especially when there was 2 feet of snow!

My day started, I woke up and went to German class, followed by 2 other classes. It was really nice because I was finished with my school days pretty early in the day. After class, my classmates and I would go eat in the Mensa with other international students and some German students as well. We would then do whatever else needed. I went to Pennymarkt, which is a local grocery store, to get food normally two or three times a week. It's really close to the university, probably about a 4 minute walk, at the most, so extremely convenient. We had classes only Monday through Thursday, Fridays were reserved for tests, which wasn't every week.
Wednesday nights we typically went out to the city and went to the bars and clubs with other international students. I'm not too sure why, but Wednesdays were the days that we noticed lots of the Germans out as well! It was really fun and became a tradition in our group.
The only downside of living on campus, is getting home after going out all night. The first semester I was lucky enough to become really good friends with someone who I would always walk home with, but during the spring semester I typically either rode my bike home, or walked alone (which I don't entirely recommend). Lüneburg is a very safe city. I never feared walking alone at night, like I do here in America.

This truly is a great program and I recommend it to every person in the German department at my University. It's in a small enough town to where you are forced to speak German, but is also only 30 minutes away from Hamburg, where you can go shopping, visit the Reeperbahn and even see HSV play!

If there was one thing about this program that I would change, it might be to integrate us better with the other students at this university. We had our own classrooms in a certain building, so any meeting of the German students we had to do on our own. We did, however, have the opportunity to have Tandem Partners, where we would meet with German students and speak for approximately 30 minutes in only German and 30 minutes only in English.