AIFS Study Abroad in Berlin: January Term

Me and my classmates in my political science class at Humboldt University.
The famous Berliner Dom cathedral, with the Fernsehturm TV tower in the background.
Kulturforum, a collection of art-related buildings in Berlin.

Earn 3 credits during a 3-week January term program studying at Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany.

Students choose from courses in history, culture, politics, religion, law and the social sciences, all taught in English, or a course in German language.

Live in university apartments close to campus, with a meal plan and internet access included. Enjoy cultural and social activities such as guided city walks, visits to museums and cultural sites and going to an ice hockey game. AIFS includes a day trip to Potsdam, and an optional 3-day excursion to Prague is offered.

Berlin has a huge diversity of cultural offerings including world class museums, world renowned orchestras, opera houses and theaters, as well as a thriving contemporary art and music scene. Whatever your taste, Berlin will inspire you.

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Darby

An Unforgettable Experience with Amazing Staff!

I studied in Berlin with AIFS in January of 2016, and my experience there has stayed with me in the year since my return. From adjusting to living like a German local to taking classes at one of the city's best schools, I really felt as though I could balance acting like a tourist and behaving like someone who lives in the city full time. The staff I encountered both through AIFS and at Humboldt University were enthusiastic and consistently helpful, and although I often opted to travel independently based on my own schedule, I always felt as though I could ask for support if I needed it. I also appreciated AIFS's all-inclusive fee--paying one price upfront included perks such as a transportation pass and a meal plan, and for an additional fee the program would even plan your travel. Having that support while you're adjusting to spending time in a new country is something that was incredibly useful, and I appreciate AIFS's willingness to help you as much or as little as you'd like.

There were some less exciting aspects of the housing situation, such as the lack of Internet connection and the fact that one laundry room was being shared by so many people, which made washing clothes exceedingly difficult. I understand that changing the housing is likely very difficult, so I think instead AIFS could benefit from clarifying all aspects of the housing beforehand and giving students tips on preparation.
Read my full story