Athena Study Abroad Program at HISA on Paros Island, Greece

Athena Study Abroad Program at HISA on Paros Island, Greece

The picturesque island of Paros is considered to be one of Greece's most beautiful island treasures. Paros' traditional villages of white-washed houses, narrow streets, flowered balconies, blue domed churches and hilly, vineyard-covered countrysides create the perfect backdrop for a study abroad experience of historic proportions.

With Greece's artistic history, it is fitting that Athena's partner school on Paros Island is the Hellenic International Studies in the Arts. HISA is strong in the humanities, offering such courses as history, philosophy, literature, painting, and photography, many of which take place on historical sites.

Athena Study Abroad also organizes trips to other Greek islands, like Naxos, Antiparos, Santorini, Mykonos, and Delos, so that exploring them will be easy and fun!

Europe » Greece » Paros
Women's Studies
Year Round
Writing Sample
Letters of Recommendation
Keep in mind that the program costs are not only for tuition, but also for field trips, housing, on-site advising, insurance through HTH Worldwide, a transcript, excellence customer service, and more. If you are concerned about finances, Athena Study Abroad does provide scholarships ranging from 250-8,000 USD, just check out our website!

Jennifer
Harrisburg

BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!!

Studying Abroad was by far the best experience of my life and I will keep telling people that. I decided I wanted to travel to Greece years ago but it was not until last year that I decided this is were I wanted to study abroad. I found Athena Study Abroad online and they helped me figure out that Greece was right for me. I wanted to travel to the islands and not be trapped on the main land in Athens, and their summer program located in Paros allowed me to do just that. In all I visited six islands and the mainland in just a short month. Along with all of the traveling and sight seeing, we had class about 3 to 4 times a week, which was very laid back and let the students learn at their own pace. I really enjoyed that aspect because I decided to take a painting class, which I had no experience in, and the teacher helped me throughout it, not rushing me. Overall I could have not asked for a better location or program. The whole way through my planning and even my trip, Athena Abroad, was right there beside me, helping.

The only thing I would change would be giving students a meal plan. We had to buy food everyday which started to really add up.

Natalie
West Chester, Pennsylvania
West Chester University

Amazing Experience!

My time in Greece was absolutely spectacular. I had the experience of a life time. Athena Abroad and HISA did an amazing job of making sure the program was the perfect balance of exploration and learning. There was never a dull day in Greece; we were always on an adventure. The classes at HISA were also great. They were very personalized and small, which created a great learning environment. Overall it was an incredible program, and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Katie
Atlanta, GA
University of Georgia

HISA

Studying abroad with HISA is the best decision that I've ever made. I had the most inspiring experiences, met some of my best friends, and was able to fulfill my dream of living on a beautiful Greek island.
I always loved going to class and was never stressed about my school work because the professors care much more about inspiring us to think rather than assigning loads of homework.
I spent my weekends exploring Paros' beautiful beaches and mountains and traveling to other awe inspiring islands. Our mid-semester trip to Turkey is one that I will never forget.
I spend every day wishing I was back in Paros and I would urge anyone who is even slightly interested in the program to apply!

I would have loved to stay an extra two weeks or so!

Sara
Columbus, Ohio
Ohio Dominican University

Paros Island: An Inspirational Journey

In Spring 2014 I studied abroad in Paros Island, Greece with Athena. Not to be cliche about it, because it's absolutely true, but it was a life changing experience for me! From start to finish, I had people both from Athena and HISA, the school abroad, helping me out. The application process was easy because the people from Athena would get in touch with me to see how I was doing and I knew they were always available if I had questions.
Paros Island was an inspirational paradise for me! Even with the course load, I had time to relax on the beach or work on projects I hadn't had the time for before. The faculty on Paros were also very helpful with whatever I needed. I didn't just gain friendships with the girls in my program, I also grew close to my professors as well. Sigrid, my literature teacher, always lit up when we had class discussions, so I knew she loved what she was doing and I loved taking her class because of it. George, my creative writing teacher, was instrumental in helping me start to write the draft of my novel. He was flexible with all of us in his class and even scheduled one on one meetings with us individually to help us with our writing.
Study abroad in general is guaranteed to be an incredible experience, and studying abroad on Paros Island, Greece is no exception because everyone involved goes above and beyond to make it the best experience for you, personally!

I can think of nothing to improve this program.

Maggie
Port Huron, Michigna
Saginaw Valley State University

Cycladic Paradise

I would wake up around 7:00am each morning, to go for a jog on the ledges of the cliffs. The air was warm, the water baby blue and the wind blowing at the perfect speed. My classes did not start until later in the day, so I would sit on the beach until they began. I took six classes and everyone was a learning experience. I enjoyed the classes discussion with my brilliant professor and classmates.
I enjoyed all of the excision to the different Islands and the week trip to Turkey. Delos, is a place that will never be forgotten.

I think more history classes should have been offered.

Jenna
Cleveland, Ohio
Ohio University

Greek Island Adventures

Athena offered an amazing greek styled experience from where we lived to where we ate. The best thing about this program is that learning is not just within the class room. The program takes you on weekend and day trips around the island and to neighboring islands. If you love the water then you have found the right place. Just a minute or two walk away from a beach with amazing beaches all around the island. We got to go on boat trips and we even went cliff diving in Santorini.

Erica
Cincinnati, Ohio
Xavier University of Ohio

Study Abroad in Paradise

Study abroad with Athena was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I was originally attracted to their booth during study abroad fair day on Xavier University's campus because of its bright colors and warm welcome. An Athena employee instantly greeted me when I first walked up, giving me enough information that I didn't feel overwhelmed, but our conversation was engaging leading me to check out their website. The manual was super easy to read and all the information was given so I didn't really have any questions. When the application process started, Athena's website was super easy to navigate and I had no problem getting in all the required forms. Actually being in Greece was an amazing experience. Athena had everything planned from a greeting at the airport to ferry tickets to our destination island of Paros. One of the best parts about Athena's Paros Island program is throughout the month tat you are in Greece you get to travel to many different islands such as Mykonos, Santorini, Anti-Paros, Delos, Naxos, etc. The teachers are passionate about what they do and that was shown everyday in class. I wouldn't change my study abroad experience for anything and I am so greateful for everything that Athena Study Abroad has done for me.

Alexandra
Saginaw Valley State University

Unforgettable Experience

I choose HISA and Athena because of the unique experience it could give me. I didn't want a experience of going to a university, and taking standard classes that I could take back in my home university. I wanted to learn things that I could only learn in this country, and could be seen first hand.
Honestly, HISA was just an amazing experience! The professors are all extremely knowledgable in their field, fascinating, and truly care and love teaching. That school, for a semester, becomes your family. This program also really challenges who you are, what you believe, and pushes you to your potential
The town is fairly small, but the students are welcomed with open arms into the community as long as you make an effort. It is a very laid back little place. There's not a ton of variety as far as things to do on the island, but I just enjoyed the laid back life.
You are island hopping most weekends and get to see 5 other islands, plus Athens. Along with the spring break field trip. There is also optional weekend hikes on weekends you are not traveling.
Lastly, the greek culture is just something that everyone should experience. The warmth, and welcoming atmosphere is overwhelming, but eventually, you learn to love it. The food is just always top notch. Everything is fresh, from the meat, to the veggies.

I would also highly recommend Athena Study Abroad to anyone, in fact, I have to many of my friends. Everyone in this small company is truly devoted to helping you in any way possible. They love their job, and it shows. When I study abroad again, I plan to go through them again!

I think that there should be an option for home-stays. As much as I loved living at Jimmy's, I think that students should have an option to stay with a local. This way, they are able to integrate themselves more into the culture, and learn the language.
I also wish there would have been more of a push to learn the language. I really do regret not learning more of it, and using it!
Other than that, no complaints!

KelsMF
Orange, CA
Chapman University

My kind of Greek life!

My time in Paros Island, Greece can be described in one word: fun. The academic rigor of the classroom left much to creative interpretation with the ultimate responsibility and level of participation left to the individual. The staff was friendly, helpful, and above all really great to be around. I made lasting friendships among the other students in the program. Together in Greece we laughed, lived at the beach, and had a blast. We saw multiple Greek Isles on our adventurous field trips and took lots of pictures of everything from the gorgeous natural terrain to snippets of Greek cultural life. The food was fresh and reasonably affordable. Everything was within walking distance. And though foreign, and Greek to me, I loved every minute of it.

If I had to change one thing, I would say it's the way I packed. Athena tried to warn me, but when I saw the projected forecast in the 70s, I packed according to what I would wear at that temperature here in Southern California. In reality, it was extremely humid and 75 felt closer to 90. Less shoes, more shorts.

Also, it would be neat if Athena helped the students in booking their flights. Once we did that on our own, the program was great in taking it from there. But for someone with very limited travel experience, flight information can be a little tricky to conquer.

Athena Study Abroad was designed by knowledgeable and caring professionals with one goal in mind: to bring authentic study abroad experiences to life that involve real cultural immersion aspects. Athena strives to provide programs that embrace personalized experiences at small overseas schools, bringing each student