CYA - Study in Greece (Summer Program)

We took trips to sites that directly related to the history and archaeology we were learning about! Why have things be hypothetical when you can learn on site and see things for yourself? CYA allowed me to visit extraordinary sites including (but not limited to) the Acropolis, the Palace of Knossos, and the city of Akrotiri.
The location of the academic building is perfect! It is located in the Pangrati neighborhood of Athens which is safe and full of amazing restaurants and cafes. The building is right by one of my favorite cafes that all the students would go to before class and right next to this beautiful stadium.
Volcano Field Trip
CYA students on the beach
CYA students on the beach
CYA Students in the Street
CYA Students in the Street

Students interested in short-term, intensive study abroad are invited to take advantage of our summer program, which offers unique, experience-based opportunities for learning.

Summer is an exceptional time to study in Greece. Our unique courses are tailored to combine academics with authentic experiences, taking advantage of the sun, the sea and the vibrant summer culture from Athens to the surrounding islands. Explore our country's rich history, get involved in archaeological excavations and delve into the anthropology of food in Greece, and so much more, this summer at CYA.

Our summer courses are offered in two consecutive 4-week sessions that run between the end of May and the end of July. There is also one unique Nutrition Summer course which runs from July to August. They are arranged so that motivated students may earn credit in complementary courses. Students take one course per session. Each 4 week course/session consists of 60 contact hours.

• Onsite and experience-based classes.
  • Study-travel at breathtaking sites across Greece.
  • Personalized attention from dedicated faculty and staff.
  • Delve into a subject of interest with intensive course structure.
  • Experience the gorgeous Greek summer!

Sydnie

So much fun!

I had an amazing time on the CYA Summer program 2019! I participated in the Archaeology course about the Bronze Age Aegean. We spent a little over two weeks in Athens, a week in Santorini, and a week in Crete. During this time, we had lectures at museums, at sites, and in the CYA classrooms. The site visits were key to the educational experience--even if you were exhausted from the day (or night) before, you learned so much by being there and experiencing the site. There was plenty of free time, especially on Santorini and Crete, so in addition to learning a lot, you also had the chance to do typical touristy things in Greece too. The free time also helped you bond with the other people in your class! Since the classes were fairly small in general (mine was 16 students, I believe), it was easy to get to know everyone, but also form close bonds with new friends. The apartments also helped foster this, 4 people in an apartment with a communal space, shared kitchen, and bathroom.

Be spontaneous! If your professor says there is something cool, just a short (long) hike in a certain direction, trust them! It's the moments like that that will make your experience more memorable and more of an adventure. Get lost in a new city (with a fully charged phone with GPS, just in case), and explore something you couldn't find on a map!
Jessica

Best decision of my life

The CYA Summer Session in Athens was by far the best experience of my life. I took the Geography of Faith class about Paul and Early Christianity in Greece and I learned A TON and got to see so much! Professor Afzal was super knowledgable and gave such amazing background on ancient Greece in addition to the religion/classics part of this course. Everyone was taking this class with different interests and backgrounds, so he did a great job at making this course interesting to everyone! My favorite part was getting to see SO much of Greece. Living in Athens, we got to really experience true Greek culture, get acclimated in a new "home", and got to conquer foreign public transportation. As part of our class, we got to go on an 8 day field trip all around northern Greece, which was absolutely incredible. We got to see so many different places that weren't super touristy and were absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I would've never even known they existed if not for that trip and this program! The weekends were perfect opportunities to visit islands and this whole experience was truly the trip of a lifetime.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would've booked my return flight home for later! I gave myself 6 days after the program ended to go to Santorini, but I would've loved to visit Crete, Mykonos, and travel to Italy as well!
Jordan

A Wonderful Experience

My time with CYA was fantastic. I learned so much in my course about Greek heritage and was able to travel all over Greece, including Crete, Rhodes, and Paros. Housing in Athens was centrally located, and the Acropolis was in walking distance. My professor was wonderful and supported me both in the classroom and outside of it. Upon arrival, I was given a detailed packet containing information about activities in the area. My favorite part of the program by far was the travel. The island of Crete was amazing, and Knossos was one of the coolest archeological sites that I have ever seen. I also had plenty of free time to go to the beaches on the islands during my time there. I was able to try a wide variety of Greek cuisine and went to several excellent tavernas that CYA staff recommended to me.

Make sure to travel and see the country outside of class. The Greek islands are worth exploring!
Lindsay

Amazing Experience

The program is based in Athens, where we had really nice apartments, super close to the academic center, a grocery store, and lots of restaurants and coffee shops (one is even open 24 hours and is right around the corner). Athens started to feel so much like home that I could see myself living there long term!

The class I took was so interesting and I learned so much more than I could have ever imagined--inside and outside the course material! Our professor was great and every assignment we had challenged us to be creative. Our classes were held in museums, at archaeological sites, and even on volcanoes.

This program gave me the opportunity to travel all around Greece. When we traveled to the islands as a class, the hotels we stayed at were nice. I took the bus to the beaches. The people I met were amazing and I truly felt at home the whole time. I made some best friends for life!

Explore! The classes at CYA give you lots of free time so make the most of it! You can take the buses to really cool and unique places in the mainland and on the islands you visit. Requires some research but it is definitely worth it.
Vincent

Studying never felt more like the BEST Vacation!

This summer program really pushes you to be a part of the culture around you. The staff are the kindest individuals who offer so much help. There is a diverse selection of classes to choose from. I took in a religion and history class and we visited so many beautiful places and interesting museums. Everything was included, except for food, but that's the best part! You have to freedom to go explore the various dishes and restaurants around Athens and any location your class visits. The housing facilities in Athens are spacious with your own kitchen and living room and a cleaning person once a week. The housing is in a great location only a 10 minute walk from all the great shopping, and across the street from the national Garden, which is really pretty. I have made some new friends and bonded with those I traveled with. You'll have a memorable summer when you travel through CYA!

Bring a camera with you! If you love to post on social media then this is the place. The ranging black sand beaches to the highest mountains with the view of a valley is something you don't see many places. Plus you'll for sure get your tan here!
Caroline

A Perfect Way to Spend the Summer!

This was a wonderful and eye-opening program that I would recommend to anyone! The classes were interesting and covered new, diverse topics every day. The professors are so passionate about the subjects they teach, and work hard to make sure that everyone is making the most of their time in Greece. My classes were both around ten students each, and this made for a great classroom environment - one where I individually got to know my professors well, and created close, lasting friendships with my fellow students! CYA is also wonderful about connecting you to local events of your own personal interests, whether it be concerts, marathons, or cooking classes! There was also plenty of traveling through classes, and I feel that I saw so much more of Greece than I expected!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I tried octopus for the first time! I was very wary at first, but I ended up loving it! Make sure to try all the local foods, wherever you go (especially seafood on the islands)!
Response from CYA (College Year in Athens)

Thank you so much for your review Caroline! It sounds like you had an adventurous term abroad, and your picture looks amazing!

Morgan

Best way to experience Greece

My time in Greece studying abroad with College Year in Athens was more fulfilling and holistic than I expected it to be. My class (ARTH 356, a course on Greek Heritage) was taught by an amazing professor, our class excursions were enjoyable and immersive, and the friendships I built will last a lifetime! I decided to study abroad in Greece to get out of my comfort zone, and really push myself to study a subject outside of my STEM field. A 4-week program was perfect for the time I had and for what my budget would allow. This was my first time in Europe, and with research and preparation beforehand, everything (travel, currency exchange, packing, etc.) went smoothly. I enjoyed traveling to other Greek islands, visiting historical sites, trying new foods, and meeting the locals. Everyone was so welcoming and excited to have us there. I highly recommend CYA for anyone interested in a summer study abroad, you won't regret it!

Go explore on the weekends! Ferry tickets are cheap and there are often student discounts, so get a group of friends together, pick an island, and go for the day or for the weekend! There is so much to explore in such little time, so make the most of it! My recommendations: Aegina and Poros!
Response from CYA (College Year in Athens)

Thank you so much for your review Morgan! Also, thank you for your advice and recommendations!

Sarah

Engaging and Enriching

My time with CYA was the best academic and personally formative experience of my life. I took two summer courses, and both the professors were outstanding. Between engaging lectures and meaningful site visits, I felt like I was growing academically without missing any of the social opportunities of study abroad. As a student from the University of Virginia, I was pleased that my CYA professors lectured at a level that still interested and challenged me, even in a different country than my home institution. The work-play balance was perfect, and I was able to explore the entire country (and seven islands!) all while making deep friendships with classmates. CYA gave us the cultural tools and skills to thrive in Greece, and I ended up staying for a few weeks after my program ended. I felt perfectly equipped to explore and enjoy the country with the information I got from the administration, professors, and the experiences of being a student with CYA. Overall, this was the best decision I made in college.

Response from CYA (College Year in Athens)

Thank you so much for your review Sarah! The work/play balance when you study abroad is a very important one, and I am so glad you were able to balance them nicely! Also, your picture looks amazing!