• Greece
    • Paros
    • Santorini
Term
Short Term, Summer
Anthropology Archaeology Art History Arts Classical Studies Communications Conflict Studies Creative Writing Cultural Studies Economics Environmental Studies European Studies Film Gender Studies Global Studies History Humanities International Business International Relations Journalism Language Studies Liberal Arts Literature Museum Studies Philosophy Political Science Psychology Public Policy Religious Studies Service Learning Social Sciences Sociology Sustainable Development Theater Tourism +25

Program Details

High School Diploma Bachelors

Pricing

Program fees include tuition, lodging in a furnished student apartment or hotel unit, course materials, a farewell lunch or dinner and, where applicable, field study and co-curricular activities. Cost varies by course; please check our website for more information.

Fee reductions are offered for students who:
- $100 per course for students who submit their application with full payment postmarked on or before March 1st.
- $100 per course for students who enroll and participate in two CYA summer courses.
- $250 per course for students from public universities.
- $100 per course for CYA semester students who enroll in a summer course.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Classes Some Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Some Meals SIM cards Travel Insurance
Feb 02, 2021
Sep 07, 2021

Soak-up summer in Greece!
Students interested in short term, intensive study abroad are invited to take advantage of CYA's summer programs, which offer unique, experience-based opportunities for learning.

Summer is an exceptional time to study in Greece. Our unique courses are tailored to combine academics with authentic experiences, taking advantage of the sun, the sea and the vibrant summer culture from Athens to the surrounding islands. Explore our country's rich history, get involved in archaeological excavations and delve into the anthropology of food in Greece, and so much more, this summer at CYA.

Our summer courses are offered in two consecutive 4-week sessions that run between the beginning of June and the end of July. They are arranged so that motivated students may earn credit in complementary courses. Students take one course per session. Each 4 week course/session consists of 60 contact hours.

Program Highlights

• Onsite and experience-based classes.
  • Study-travel at breathtaking sites across Greece.
  • Personalized attention from dedicated faculty and staff.
  • Delve into a subject of interest with intensive course structure.
  • Experience the gorgeous Greek summer!

Elizabeth

CYA Summer 2021

I grew up in a relatively sheltered environment surrounded by people who thought and looked a lot like me. The first 18 years of my life were spent in the comfort of my own likeness. However, spending the summer at CYA allowed me to broaden my understanding of the world through the people I have met and the stories I have heard. This has been an incredibly important experience for me and has allowed me to adjust much of my perception of how we all fit into the places we inhabit. From this powerful experience abroad, I have learned the importance of exploration, as well as the ability to understand other points of view. I allowed myself to explore and say yes to things you wouldn't typically consider doing. This is how I ended up finding the best views or the coolest museums or the most fascinating islands to visit. It was truly an incredible summer.

I would say my biggest piece of advice is to go in with an open mind. Allow yourself to explore and say yes to things you wouldn't typically consider doing. This is how I ended up finding the best views or the coolest museums or the most fascinating islands to visit. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and explore the city and country of Greece as much as you possibly can.
Abby

Study Aborad with CYA

I learned so much through this program and was able to have such unique experiences. Each weekend I traveled somewhere different amongst the islands or neighboring cities. It was easy to navigate and very affordable. The staff also was incredible and super resourceful. They were willing to go above and beyond to supper me. I loved being in Greece and this program set me up really well for an excellent time. The adventure mixed with history makes Athens the perfect launching point for understanding and experiencing Greek culture.

Leighann

Missing Greece Already!

For four weeks in Summer 2021, I was able to take a class on the Anthropology of Food in Greece, taught by Aimee Placas (who is amazing!). The course, and Greece in general was amazing. I learned so much about food, traditions, culture, etc - and ate my way through 7 Greek islands as well (yum!). I'm missing the experience and the people I met along the way already.

I highly recommend taking the ferries from Athens (Pireaus) to islands like Aegina, Naxos, Poros, Paros, etc. Ikaria is another favorite - but fly there!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Octopus! A must try on so many of the Greek islands.
Rachel

The summer of a lifetime!

CYA gave me the opportunity for a trip that I never would have been able to plan or execute on my own. For four weeks in the summer of 2021, I took The Strangeness of Ancient Greece: Diversity, Difference and Regionality among the Greek States, taught by Professor Pitt. Living among locals, learning about the history of the country, eating great food, and traveling around Greece made my education feel tangible and real. Not only did CYA give me the opportunity to travel and learn, but they made the process accessible, easy, and fun the whole way through.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
As silly as it may seem, the deep and beautiful history of Greece was something that was continually surprising to me as an American. Walking in Athens and suddenly coming across an ancient bathhouse or part of the original city walls always left me surprised and facinated.
Lizzie

Summer Session 1 Program: Writing as a traveler

The best way to spend my summer! In June, I travelled with CYA to Athens and Poros for an unforgetable study abroad opportunity. Even with COVID restrictions, CYA did an amazing and safe job of providing an in-person travel opportunity. Through excellent curriculum and exceptional recommendations, I travelled around Greece to the fullest in four short weeks. I am already preparing to return to see more of the wonderful country. Thank you so much to my classmates and teachers who made the trip on that I will never forget!

What was your funniest moment?
Horseback riding on Hydra with Harriet Hydra Horses was exceptional! The views were amazing and her philosphy and care of the horses made it even better!
Adam

I cannot wait to go back!

My experience with CYA was one of the coolest things I have ever done, and I would absolutely do it again, without question. In some sense, it’s hard to fully assess the benefits of studying abroad so close to my time abroad, but it is clear that the benefits of doing so are numerous.

I feel deeply grateful to have been able to visit places I have read about in my Classics courses for years, to see artifacts outside books, to get a whiff of the past while we walked along ancient roads, and to see the remnants of lives lived many years ago, which were not so unlike our own. The challenge the course posed to the dominance of Athenocentricity in Classics will be valuable as I move forward in my studies, but, perhaps the most meaningful part of the study abroad experience was just having the opportunity to leave my bubble and venture somewhere entirely new, which I felt even more deeply following the COVID-19 lockdowns. This is especially true as we see nationalism rising in waves across the world. Experiences like the one provided by CYA can help to counter ideologies that ask us to hate those that live beyond our borders. Participating in a program like CYA gives us space to stop and reflect on our place in this big, beautiful word of ours, and it nudges us to remember that there are people not unlike ourselves all over the world, and the awareness this brings is invaluable.

Upon arrival in Greece, I was immediately confronted by the fact that the people in Greece are exceptionally warm and kind, and they were willing to do whatever it took to help. The taxi drivers, the waiters and shop attendants, the locals I met walking around the city all went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of, and you will also probably find yourself receiving a lot of free food.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If it is financially feasible, I would recommend staying a little while after the program ends. Planning for some extra time will give you the opportunity to see sites that you may not have seen as part of a course, and it will give you time to do more tourist-y things, go to the beach, and enjoy some more delicious food. My flight out of Greece was extremely early the day after the program ended, and I definitely wish that I would have stayed longer.
Rachel

Time of My Life!

In this program, we were able to travel all around Greece. It was amazing to be able to experience the vastness of the country while also being able to learn from a very knowledgeable professor about Ancient Greece. The people were all amazing and it was very easy to connect with them! There is always something to do in Athens whether that’s hiking, seeing a theatre show, or eating at an amazing restaurant. You also have much more free time to explore than you would think so take advantage of that and go see the beach! It’s only an hour by tram!

My advice is to never say no to something a friend or your program suggests you do. You only have a limited amount of time in Greece so make sure you enjoy it!
Parker

A Summer in Greece

I found my time in Greece with College Year in Athens enlightening, resourceful, and life-changing. I initially chose to study abroad in Greece to take in as much history and culture and possible and the course selections by CYA allowed me to find a perfect fit. Not only did the living situation and location allow me and my classmates to fully immerse ourselves in downtown Athens, but the faculty also gave us opportunities to interact with locals and learn about Greece first-hand. The actual class I took was based on the differences of ancient greek states based on historical and archaeological perspectives. This focus allowed CYA and our professor to spend most of our class time around Athens exploring archaeological sites and museums which created a fun, interactive experience to learn in. I have also heard that CYA tries to include some sort of travel to various Greek islands in all of their classes to show the students as much of Greece as possible. For my class, we visited the islands of Thassos and Aegina, along with having some free days to travel by ourselves if we wanted to. It was a beautiful time viewing incredible places, eating great food, and learning a wealth of knowledge about the Greek world. I would recommend this program!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I was a stranger to most Greek foods before my travel so I was caught off guard a few times but Moussaka was very interesting. The kinds I ate were composed of minced meat and feta cheese inside of an eggplant.