Middlebury School in India: Delhi

Middlebury School in India: Delhi

The School in India is located in Delhi and based at St. Stephen's College and Lady Shri Ram College for Women, both of which are part of the larger University of Delhi. The two colleges are preeminent institutions of higher education in India, with offerings in the humanities, social sciences, and phsyical sciences. The language of instruction at the colleges is English, so there are no language pre-requisites. However, all students study Hindi at the Zabaan Language Institute.

Asia » India » Delhi
Asia » India
Writing Sample
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
Language Requirement
Semester tuition and health insurance are included in the cost. Room/board, books/supplies, travel, visas and personal expenses are not included.

Krissy
Los Angeles
Middlebury College

The most special and memorable experience

I studied abroad at Lady Shri Ram College in New Delhi with Middlebury's program in Spring 2017. I studied economics at LSR and Hindi at Zabaan. I lived in Kailash Colony, located in South Delhi and very close to LSR. I felt very safe while I was studying in Delhi, although that was a huge concern for me prior to arriving in India. I had a lot of time to travel throughout India; I visited Jaipur, Mumbai, Kolkata, and the Sundarbans. I also did a lot of exploring in Delhi after my semester at LSR ended. My study abroad experience was absolutely amazing. I learned about Indian culture, economy in a developing country, and a new global outlook. I learned a lot about India by traveling throughout the country and becoming friends with locals. I loved my study abroad experience and am definitely considering on returning in the future to work in Delhi. I highly recommend students study abroad in India. They will have a unique and enriching experience and step out of their comfort zones.

I think exchange students should know how testing styles work prior to starting classes in the college. The testing style in India is vastly different from the style in the US. I was not informed about the testing style after I took my first exam. This ended up hurting my grade for my class, therefore students must be informed about the testing styles. I think exchange program interns should inform the exchange students about the testing styles because they are more familiar with the exams since they are students at the college.

Hannah
Chapel Hill, NC

The best

I went abroad to Delhi with Middlebury's program in Spring 2016. The overall program was very well-run and the experience intense, but awesome. I attended Lady Shri Ram College and lived in Greater Kailash I, very close to the school. Safety was not a big deal for us, even though everyone was concerned about this before we left. As long as we followed smart travel strategies and used commonsense about moving about the city, we were comfortable moving around by ourselves. At LSR, I was able to play on the school's volleyball team and took two classes about Indian literature and history, while we took Hindi at Zabaan Institute nearby. The Hindi courses were by far the highlight of this experience - Zabaan is a great partner for Middlebury to be working with. They are very challenging but very willing to adapt to our travel schedule and study needs. The courses at LSR aren't challenging in the same sense that a liberal arts college in the US is, but the courses had a lot of reading that went with them. We were also able to travel a lot on weekends, which allowed us to see some of the many, many diverse areas and subcultures in India.

Jason
Brooklyn, New York

Great Experience

India is such a country of extremes, diversity and in general just so much see. I was lucky enough to travel around a lot as well. It can be a bit of a challenge compared to other places, but its well worth and no matter how long you stay you will just only be scratching the surface in understanding it.

The Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad feature 38 sites in 17 countries and are characterized by a focus on integration with the host culture, both linguistically and socially. In addition to taking academically rigorous courses, students are able to participate in internships, volunteer work or