SIT India: Public Health, Gender, and Community Action

Explore the links between public health, policy advocacy, and community, with a focus on women, children, tribal communities, and other marginalized and vulnerable populations in India.

This program studies the relationship between public health and community in a field-study context. You will analyze specific case studies that illuminate the problems, prospects, and potential methods of promoting health. Policy advocacy efforts for realization of the right to health on the national and international levels will also be examined, along with relevant public health schemes and programs.

The program offers a 4-week you a internship with a hospital or public health organization working on research, policy, programs, and action. The internship will help you hone skills that will help you develop a career in public health and related fields. An internship experience in the second most populous country in the world will provide an inside look at health practices in a developing country.

Ben

Go To India!

After spending almost 4 months in India with SIT, I can't imagine doing my study abroad experience anywhere else. If you have an interest in public health, this is the program for you. The homestay experience was amazing and I felt like a big brother to my host-brothers and host-sister. Also, having home cooked Indian food every day is hard to complain about. I loved learning Hindi and feeling like I was a part of the culture, even if it was only for a few months. The SIT staff treats you like family and you won't want to let go when you hug them goodbye at the end of the trip. Lastly, having the experience of completing an independent study project was a crucial aspect of my trip and really helped to put all of our lessons into perspective. This program helps you succeed in every aspect of the trip, such as helping you transition, being a shoulder to lean on when you need it, or giving you suggestions on where to travel on a weekend or after the program. If you want to step outside of your comfort zone and establish yourself in a crazy, stimulating and colorful environment and culture, this is the program for you!

Sarah Kate

Still learning from this experience years later.

India is full of contrasts, chaos and unbelievable beauty. I never learned more in four months than I did through this experience. It challenged me and tested my patience, but I learned a lot about a lot and I would go back and do it all over in a heartbeat. You have to be willing to let go of some creature comforts (going for a run outdoors, punctuality, privacy...), but if you surrender even a little bit, you'll never want to leave.

SIT has an extensive on-site network providing access to speakers, organizations, hospitals and communities you'd never be able to access on your own. The staff are incredibly dedicated and there for your every need. They all feel like family to me now. The opportunity to do independent research was also a major highlight.

About SIT Study Abroad

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in...