CIEE Language + Culture in Ferrara, Italy

large group of people with ocean behind them
large group of people with ocean behind them
group of girls wearing sunglasses sitting by a tree
group of girls wearing sunglasses sitting by a tree

Bring your desire to learn the Italian language and explore Italy’s rich culture to the small city of Ferrara. Located in Italy’s Emilia-Romagna region, Ferrara is filled with old-world charm, Renaissance architecture, and the magnificent Romanesque Cathedral. Begin the program with an intensive Italian language class matched to your skill level, then enroll in content courses, taught in English, at CIEE Ferrara. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• Ramp up your language skills with intensive courses for beginners and intermediate level students.
  • Explore more beautiful Italian cities like Florence, Ravenna, Bologna, Siena, Venice, Verona, and Padua.
  • Learn to make a tasty regional specialty, like cappellacci di zucca.

Win up to $3,000 for 2020 Study Abroad with CIEE!

Put “study abroad” on your 2020 calendar! Enter the Seize the Season Sweepstakes for a chance to be one of eight lucky students who will share up to $24,000 in study abroad scholarships with CIEE. Choose your prize: $1,500 toward any of 80+ summer study abroad programs or $3,000 toward any of 100+ fall study abroad programs. The sweepstakes ends on April 15, 2020. Enter today!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Ketevan

Ferrara Changed My Life

Getting to study abroad in Ferrara, Italy was possibly the one of best experiences of my entire life. I cannot stop talking about this program and the incredible things I learned about the Italian way of life. In Ferrara, I learned how to make pasta, pottery, and got to visit beautiful sites like San Marino, that was breathtaking. This program inspired me to continue learned Italian at university up to level 4 and to even minor in Italian Studies. One of my favorite memories would have to be with my roommate Gabbie and our host mom who took us to Verona, Italy so we could see the balcony and museum of Romeo and Juliet. I truly had an incredible time in Italy and I have been wanting to go back as soon as I left the incredible city that changed my life.

Nothing I can think of at the moment. Everything I experienced was perfect!
Maria

The Greatest Month of My Life

To anyone who hasn’t studied abroad I definitely recommend that you do. My experience in Ferrara, Italy was greater than I could’ve ever imagined! Getting to experience life in Italy first hand and having extremely immersive language classes was the greatest way to learn! This definitely gave me a boost in academics when coming back home to school! My experience abroad gave me the chance to create the greatest memories and friendships which go beyond the program. This month was certainly the best month of my life! Being surrounded by so many other bright students and adults who love to travel and try new things created such a positive, happy environment and there’s no other way I would’ve wanted to spend my summer than that!

This program could be improved by providing bikes for everyone even if they don’t live within the city center so those students can ride their bikes during the school day with those who have them.
amanda

Ferrara ciee

I loved going on the ciee summer abroad trip. I felt as if my italian speaking greatly improved and I learned so much about the italian culture. I met amazing people that i still talk to, and my host family left such a big impact on me and they were great. the program leaders were very helpful and supportive. This helped me do better in italian at school and have more social skills due to me learning how to make close friends. i want future participants to take advantage of their time there and not spend too much time on their phone. it can be hard being away from home but it was worth it. my favorite memory was venice and going on a gondola. the school we went to was amazing and had a summer camp so we got to meet and play with little kids. i also loved making memories with my host family and my host brother showing me italian music. i would definitely go on another trip, i highly recommended it.

It can be improved by making the iternaty more on schedule