View Other Details
Examine firsthand the ongoing humanitarian relief response to the regional Syrian refugee crisis, while in Jordan and on excursion to Turkey, with special focus on refugee health response. Explore social challenges refugees face, such as identity crises, social inclusion, and risks relating to gender. Choose to take three or six credits of Modern Standard Arabic.
Major topics of study include:
- The role of UN and international relief agencies in refugee assistance and humanitarian action
- The impact of refugees on the economy and various social sectors of the host community
- Health status, risk factors, and health services available to refugees
- Mental health and psychosocial challenges in refugee populations
- Gender-specific vulnerabilities within refugee populations