COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, The School for Field Studies (SFS) has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
While studying the many Discover the many approaches to conservation, you will see the country’s diverse wildlife and world-famous national parks in Kenya– from elephants to endangered black rhinoceros'. You will see first-hand the climate change and resource availability that affect Kenya’s ecosystems and those living in them. There are a variety of different conservation methods that can impact the community.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Water and Wildlife Studies. The Center, known locally as Kilimanjaro Bush Camp, lies in the heart of Kenya’s Rift Valley, between three world-famous national parks. The snow-capped peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro towers over miles of savanna, replete with a diversity of wildlife. Our sprawling, grassy campus includes traditional thatched bandas (cabins) and a central chumba (main building), just down the road from the small town of Kimana.
- On a multi-day camping trip, explore Amboseli National Park – widely regarded as the best place in the world to get close to free-ranging elephants.
- Spend two weeks in Tanzania, with expeditions to Serengeti National Park, Tarangire and Lake Manyara National Parks, and the Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
- Take part in a homestay with a local Maasai family and learn about their culture, history, daily life, and relationship with nature.
- Build core skills including: GIS, species identification and wildlife census, animal behavior observation, water quality assessment, basic Swahili language, research design and implementation, data collection and analysis, research presentation
- Conduct research in some of the following areas: Wildlife management and sanctuaries, climate change resilience, primate behavior, water conservation, national parks management, community conservation
We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19
SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.