Discover the real meaning of safari (the Swahili word for “journey”) on a two-week adventure in Kenya, created and implemented by Kenyans to provide an authentic and impactful experience. You’ll connect with the cultures and environments of this remarkable country as you explore national parks, visit wildlife reservations, and stay with a local host family. You and your group will tour urban centers, such as downtown Nairobi, and venture into the habitats of rare species, like lions and rhinos. You’ll also meet and live with the semi-nomadic Maasai tribe, who live on a breathtaking national reserve, and learn about the Maasai way of life and their work. Enjoy two weeks of education and exploration in a country dedicated to preserving and protecting its vast natural beauty.
- Introduce yourself to the Swahili language!
- Visit The Wildlife Foundation in Kitengela, a Kenyan NGO dedicated to conserving wildlife dispersal areas by nurturing a sustainable coexistence between humans and wildlife.
- Embark on a safari, where you’ll hopefully see all the famous “Big Five” animals!
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from around the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resumé.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.