Visit 11 cities in 3 weeks: Psychology Travel Seminar

The Psychology of Peace and Conflict in the Mediterranean Seminar focuses on understanding violence and its impact on the Mediterranean region. Students are encouraged to imagine possible resolutions to conflict and to understand peace processes through the lens of interdisciplinary study. They learn to see communities that have previously remained erased or oppressed in Morocco, France, and Spain and come to understand the political, psychological, and sociological side effects of violence. By the end of the seminar, participants will more deeply understand the psychology of political decision-making as it applies to international relations and the legacy that is determined by peace efforts across cultures and their borders. Students can choose one course (3 credits) from an array of upper division Psychology, Sociology, Cross-Cultural Studies or Human Services courses.

• Short Term
  • Multi-country
  • Psychology

Gina

IAU Jterm Multi-country

The professors that went on the trip were wonderful. Incredibly smart and knowledgeable on the material but were also fun, out going, and personable. Each hotel we stayed at was very different. Some were good, some were not so good but we only stayed at each hotel for a maximum of 3 nights so it was never a big issue. We did so many things each day and really took advantage of all the sight seeing. I learned a lot and was exhausted after the trip but i look back fondly of my time aboard. It was really an incredible experience and I miss it.

Be more clear in course description and course objectives so students understand the course before they go on the trip.

Have more descriptive meal options.. ex: I am not a vegetarian therefore I didnt select the “vegetarian” option before going abroad. But after realizing several meals were prepared and were seafood, i had wished I said i was vegetarian because I dont eat seafood
Liam

Integration Amidst Crumbling

This J-Term gave me the tools and perspective to understand the history, the evolution of political context, and the role of religion in every region we visited. It gave me a framework with which I could begin to understand what's going on across Europe: nationalism, regionalism, religious abandonment and reinvigoration, secularism, fear, and hope. The program, along with its stellar staff gave me the resources to see everything from Paris to the Magreb with a newly-illuminated and full perspective.

Give more realistic reading loads and homework assignments!

About IAU

IAU College - with semester, summer and academic year liberal arts and studio art programs in Aix-en-Provence France and summer programs in Barcelona, Spain - has been providing high quality study abroad opportunities for U.S. college and university...