Social Justice Summer Course in Ireland

Join us this summer from 25 June - 20 July 2018! The Conflict Transformation and Social Justice Summer School is innovative due to its interdisciplinary base. It is taught by world-leading academics and located in a society emerging from conflict. Those teaching on the program come from a range of disciplines including Law, Politics, International Studies, Geography, Criminology, Anthropology, Human Rights and other humanities and social science subjects.

The Conflict Transformation and Social Justice Summer School will provide students with a critical overview of approaches to conflict resolution, from world-leading scholars and practitioners. Those teaching on the Summer School will draw upon rich research experiences both in Northern Ireland and across the globe.

• Optional credit-bearing programme at Year 2 undergraduate equivalent, worth a recommended 5 -6 US credits
  • Opportunity to explore Northern Ireland with various cultural and historical field trips including Giant's Causeway, the Titanic Quarter and UK's City of Culture 2013 Derry-Londonderry.
  • Chance to meet and question some of Northern Ireland's key decision makers including key politicians and church and community leaders
  • A varied social programme including a welcome reception, social nights and a 'Ceilidh' night- a night of traditional Irish music and dance

Irene

Incredible experience

Belfast is a great city and Queen's University a site to behold. You are surrounded by sites long told in song, story, film, and history. Every day was inspiring. Have rainwear, and plan to spend some time after the program just exploring the city. I think one could live in Belfast a full year without getting to all there is to do & see in the city, never mind the outskirts! I hope to return very soon.

Better communication access. Without an international cell phone contract, one is cut off in the dorms. No phones there. Have groups set up email or cell communication first day so that there can be more spontaneous group event planning & communication.
Jena

Fantastic Study Abroad Experience

This course was a great experience and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of going.
The lecturers were very knowledgeable and took us to cultural events that we might not have gone to otherwise like the bonfires and the marches on the Twelfth.
Staying in Belfast means that you can clearly see the impact of the Troubles and it was really interesting to meet people who were involved in the conflict. There’s a lot to do in the city and the trips to different parts of Northern Ireland are excellent.
The best part about this course was meeting so many amazing people. The social activities that were planned by the staff and PhD students were really fun and meant that it was easy to get to know people.
I loved my time in Belfast and am so glad that I did this course.

Jenny

Loved it

I really enjoyed the whole experience. The academics were interesting and worthwhile. They related well to the activities and outings we did as a group. I really had a chance to learn and meet wonderful new people! The outings we went on will remain some of my favorite memories and seeing Northern Ireland was amazing. I highly recommend this program for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge of politics and learn about issues facing other countries. It was completely worth every second.

Carlos

best experience

I am so glad to have chosen this program and the memories I got from it. the only thing I did not like is that it is to short (3 week) why not 5?. I've met some of the best people you could wish for I wouldn't change this experience for any other summer abroad. the people I met there where amazing and made the trip even better. lectures where fun as well as the trips to the different parts of Northern Ireland.

make it longer.
Neri

Very good and interesting program!

It was very good and interesting program. the studies were very useful, the people were great and full experience was amazing.

Dominic is one of a kind. and the lectures were very interesting.

The field trips were very good and the fun and cultural parts were great.

From a perspective of an Israeli, I think there is a place to go deeper with the Israeli - Palestinian conflict, and would love to help with it.

Timothy

My review - Great time

The school offers an excellent program. The lectures are informative and the lecturers know their subject matter. QUB is a beautiful campus with so much to do on and off campus.

The advisors and PHd students helping out are informed of the days activities and can be extremely helpful if you find yourself alone.
Accommodations are great for someone of average size but the ensuite shower is made for persons less than 5' tall and 120 lbs.

Overall, highly recommended!

About Queen's University Belfast

A stunning City Campus steeped in heritage yet benefiting from world-class, state-of-the-art facilities, we have a history of investing in our people and building brighter futures. This is where learning and research come together to create new and...