HECUA: Study and Intern in Northern Ireland

HECUA: Study and Intern in Northern Ireland

HECUA provides internships in Northern Ireland coupled with a full semester of study. Field seminars focus on human rights, equality, conflict transformation, and education for democracy, and help students see in action the tools used to transform conflict. This program incorporates significant travel by bus through the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, as well as a seven-week-long, 20-25 hour/week internship with a community partner in Derry~Londonderry. In the past internship sites have included LGBTQ organizing and advocacy group the Rainbow Project, creative media hub The Nerve Centre, and early childhood development organization Children in Crossfire. This course is offered during the fall and spring semesters and interested students are encouraged to visit the HECUA website for more details and the application procedure.

Europe » Northern Ireland
Liberal Arts
Peace Studies
Service Learning
Letters of Recommendation
International semester program costs include tuition and all on-the-ground expenses (e.g., room & board, ground transportation, reading materials, emergency medical insurance). HECUA offers three types of scholarships, and will award approximately $40,000/year in the following categories: 1) Scholarship for Racial Justice ($4,000), 2) Scholarship for Social Justice (up to $1,500), 3) Scholarship for Community Engagement ($750) - more information can be found on the HECUA website.

Mary
Brooklyn Park
Saint Olaf College

HECUA: Study/Internship in Northern Ireland.

The internship component of the HECUA program is one that is truly special. Unlike many other study abroad experiences, HECUA allows you to intern at a community peace-building organization. I got the unique opportunity to intern at a truth recovery/human rights legal NGO, which solidified my interest in human rights law for the future. Although I am not from Northern Ireland, I felt like I was able to connect with the community in a unique way through the internship. It made the city of Derry/Londoderry a bit smaller and a place that I will absolutely return to.

Nora
Washington, DC
Macalester College

Fall in love with Derry

When I applied for this program, I knew I would appreciate the academics and the opportunities provided, but I was surprised by how deeply I fell in love with the people of Northern Ireland. I was always welcomed with open arms in every situation I entered into, and made good friends that I still keep in touch with now that the program is over. Every Tuesday I would grab my bodhran (traditional Irish drum) and head down to a local pub to play in a trad session. Even though I was a beginner, I was always greeted heartily and never felt shy about playing along. The folks at my internship made me feel like I was part of the community, and I always had someone to grab a cup of tea with me. I've never met such thoughtful, warm, and caring people, and I know that when I go back, I'll be greeted as if I had never left.

HECUA (Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs) is an NPO comprised of 22 different liberal arts colleges, universities and associations, all of which are dedicated to education for social justice, offering study abroad programs that address pressing issues in various nations and neighborhoods around the