The Experiment Digital International Virtual Exchanges

The Experiment Digital invites teens ages 14-19 to participate in a free international virtual exchange program this summer! This eight-week online exchange connects hundreds of young people across the U.S. with peers from the Middle East and North Africa. Participants will come together for four hours a week to enhance their understanding and practice of leadership and mutual understanding between different cultures, and learn how to become more civically engaged.

The Experiment Digital is supported by the Stevens Initiative, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, with funding provided by the U.S. Government, and is administered by the Aspen Institute.

• Learn and discuss world affairs with peers in Algeria, Iraq, the U.S., and Yemen—all without leaving your living room.
  • Program for youth led by youth. Build friendships with other young people across the globe.
  • Free online summer camp for high school students.
  • Receive a Certificate of Completion in Leadership & Global Issues Analysis
  • Robust and engaging curriculum with a critical outlet for global cross-cultural exchange in a time of crisis.

The Experiment Summer 2021 Programs

At The Experiment, we understand that intercultural connections between young people are now more important than ever. The world is ready to recover and rise to new challenges, and The Experiment is committed to working together across cultures. Check out our programs abroad for this summer 2021: Costa Rica: Biodiversity, Ecology & Sustainability, Jordan: Arabic Language & The Middle East, and The Netherlands: LGBTQ + Rights & Advocacy.

• 9-10 rating 90.91%
  • 7-8 rating 9.09%
  • Content 9.5
  • Engagement 9.3
  • Platform 9.5
Farida

Program review

I had a good time! Hands down my favourite program out of all the other different programs I took part in. I learnt a lot from the other participants and the facilitators. Fun was always part of the program and that was one of the things I liked the most. We had fun while discussing important topics and learned a lot about how to solve serious problems facing us. I also got to know the cultural differences between Egyptians and Americans. I made a lot of new friends from different nationalities. I am more than happy to have taken part in this program and I would most certainly give it another shot if possible.

What was your funniest moment?
One of the funniest moments was when we were wrapping up the program, we had an online meeting and we were all trying to hold our tears back and we ended up laughing because we didn't want to end it that way. 😂😂
Nour

My experience

I really had so much fun, it was an unforgettable experience and I learned a lot about different problems and issues in both countries and discussed how to solve them. I learned more about education in America and it’s totally different from Egypt. Everyone in this program was helpful and encouraging and the facilitator was really supportive and caring . The best part of the program is that I’ve meet a lot of amazing people and I made a lot of friends both Egyptian and Americans and I would be glad to repeat this experience again.

What was your funniest moment?
When we talked about food the facilitator mentioned a funny situation when she traveled to Morocco.
Nour

An amazing experience!

I loved the experience in this program beginning from the sessions to the interaction between American and Egyptian students. I learned more about STEAM subjects and how to use them to solve challenges to help my community and reduce the effects of SDGs. this program helped me to make lifelong friends with people from other cultures and It gained me a deeper understanding of myself and those around me. I recommend this program to those who want to make a change in the world and want to experience a different academic perspective and culture.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I will change myself to be more confident and social as I am a shy person.
Bavley

Amazing!

It was totally a different experiment that I will never forget, I made new friends and have fun with different people from different places, I learned a lot about STEAM subjects and learned how we can use them to take different problems and issues that we face worldwide and help make a positive change in the world and make it a better place to live in. I would totally recommend this program to anyone who is willing to experience something new and wants to help make a change in his community and meet new people.

What was your funniest moment?
When I was at the homestay with my partners we wanted to take a screenshot so we sat and smiled in front of the cameras then we realized that each one of us was waiting for the other to take a screenshot and we laughed so hard XD
Caroline

Amazing Experience!

This was a totally new experience for me and I couldn't be happier I decided to apply. At first, I was worried because I am a generally shy person, but after meeting with my family, I felt so welcomed and appreciated. I learned so much, not only from the STEM activities but also just by talking with people from Egypt and learning about others' cultures. Coming out of this program, I feel so much more open-minded and confident in myself. The other applicants were all so accepting and loving. I feel I particularly benefitted from sharing my own thoughts on global issues as well as listening to others. Every person had a different perspective to share, and it opened my eyes to new possibilities. Overall, Experiment Digital was an amazing experience!

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment was during our last family dialogue when we were discussing whether we would keep our failures and wisdom from past experiences or get rid of either or both. Many people had funny relatable responses of what they would decide. I recall someone being perfectly authentic and saying they would throw away both because they don't like to think!
Yasmeen

Great!

This was my first experience in a culture exchanging program and let's say that I wasn't disappointed at all! The content is very fun and benefiting, and the facilitators are totally supportive! It made me open up my mind to numerous ideas and possibilities that I never thought of before. And the support and opportunities it offers are endless and quite impressive. I totally recommend it to everyone who is interested in sharing and improving themselves in different fields! Especially younger people, who believe they could improve their leadership skills to reach a higher level where they could be heard, given opinions, and be pushed forward towards their goals.

I'd make more engaging opportunities for people from both cultures to get to know each other even more.
Hadeel

A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE

I've loved this program so much and it was a different and a very special experience! I've learned so much through the activities that tackle different themes regarding worldwide issues we face, it's given me a new perspective and challenged me to think in new ways and brainstorm ideas to propose solutions for each problem it presented, taught me the way of implementing my knowledge in STEM while also adding my own touch of creativity. It also gave me a new understanding of other cultures and lifestyles of other people, in my own country and abroad, and it left me curious for wanting to know more about others. and i had fun meeting some amazing people through the chats and live meetings, exchanging ideas and playing games to connect with each other! And iam grateful for the awsome journey I've had on this program, and the energy and inspiration it gave me to be a more active member in my community :)

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment i recall was with my homestay partners in a video call, we wanted to take a picture for submission for the last check-out and so we sat still smiling at the camera for a while before we realized each one of us was waiting for on of the others to take the picture and we burst out laughing xD
Hadeel

A UNIQUE EXPERIENCE

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment i recall was with my honestly partners where we wanted to take a picture for the final check-out submission so we all sat still for the camera smiling for a while then i realized each one of us was waiting for one of the others to take the picture and so we burst out laughing xD