• South Africa
    • Cape Town
African Studies Anthropology Arts Business Engineering Film History Language Studies Liberal Arts Literature Marine Biology Music Public Health +3

Program Details

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance. There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive, and scholarships opportunities are available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Some Meals Travel Insurance
Apr 20, 2021
Mar 09, 2020

With a glorious climate and natural draws like Table Mountain and stunning beaches, it’s no wonder Cape Town is Africa’s number-one tourist destination. Day and night, this multicultural city offers much to do: water sports, mountaineering, nightclubs, and restaurants. As a microcosm of many African countries in transition, Cape Town also illuminates the issues of joining the global economy while grappling with vast socioeconomic inequalities born from its colonial and apartheid heritage.

Program Highlights

• CIEE Cape Town is located in the Rondebosch district, near the University of Cape Town campus.
  • Day and night, this multicultural city offers much to do: water sports, mountaineering, nightclubs, and restaurants.
  • Receive more than you give by participating in an Impact Project in a local community or giving your time on a weekly basis by tutoring students, working with health and medical organizations.
  • Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to volunteer or participate in an internship.
  • Do Cape Town on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas.

CIEE

CIEE Scholarships and Grants

CIEE’s need-based grants offer support to students who face financial barriers to studying abroad. CIEE awards need-based grants based on students’ EFCs and program selection. The Gilman Go Global Grant offers students $750-$2,000 toward airfare, plus $2,500 toward semester program costs, or $1,000 toward summer program costs.

$500 - $2,500

Popular Programs

CIEE Cape Town Summer Programs

Cape Town is Africa’s most popular destination for many reasons, starting with its glorious climate and natural attractions.Earn credits in Cape Town this summer exploring South African literature and film; the history of protests and social movements; and the historical, political, and economic transitions of South Africa.

CIEE Cape Town Summer Programs

Cape Town serves as a commercial and industrial entry point to Africa and houses regional headquarters for many companies, nonprofits, and NGOs. Take your arts and sciences studies a step further with study abroad in Cape Town exploring the wonders of nature while learning about South African society.

CIEE Cape Town January Programs

Earn credits in Cape Town this January and witness the incredible changes taking place in this vibrant country. January in Cape Town features the course, From Rhodes to Mandela and from Apartheid to AIDS.

• 9-10 rating 64.29%
  • 7-8 rating 28.57%
  • 3-4 rating 7.14%
Paige

Great Experience!

I really enjoyed the course "From Rhodes to Mandela and Apartheid to AIDS"! Interesting content, awesome professor, and great guest speakers. CIEE: Cape Town is in a great location with a lot of food options nearby, and with the amount of security in the building, I always felt safe. By the end of J-term, I felt I knew the city well. The RAs were very friendly and helpful, and were always willing to give recommendations for things to do in the city. There was a good mix of events planned by CIEE and free time.

Go out a little early, or stay late! The J-term program goes very fast, so I recommend making sure you have a few extra days to do some longer excursions out of Cape Town.
Jordan

Economics of Wine - TAKE THIS COURSE!

Taking the Economics of Wine course in South Africa was one of the best decisions I ever made! Not only is Cape Town absolutely gorgeous, but the course was probably my favorite that I've ever taken. Our professor, Annalize, is one of the most interesting and knowledgeable people I've ever had the chance to meet, and the course was incredibly insightful. Because we were a class of three, we were able to have more personalized class discussions and partake in some pretty amazing co-curricluars which included having a personal meeting with Managing Directors, Head Wine Makers, and Marketing and Outreach positions of the wine farms. The country is beautiful, and not only did I get a whole new look on the wine industry, I got to step outside of my comfort zone while doing so.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
South Africa has a multitude of different cultures, and thus has a lot of different foods to go with them; and luckily they're all delicious! We went to and Eziko cooking school, went to a Xhosa restaurant that was owned by one of the RAs, and got to have a meal and house visit to some of the families in the townships. Each of these gave an insight into the associated culture, and we got to try so many new things; and help make some of them too! Samp and beans is a staple, and I liked it so much I might just have to learn how to make it back home.
Read my full story
Jaleesa

Experience of a Lifetime!

The classes were difficult but I know I am walking away with a lot more knowledge not only from the university, but from all over South Africa in general. Of course studying at UCT was the most irritating thing because nobody wants to study and do school work when you are in such a beautiful place like this! There is always something to do here in Cape town, the list is never ending (good thing you have a lot of time to fit it all in!). What really made it the best time was the CIEE staff. They supported us from day one and always had the best advice on what to eat, where to go, and were extremely helpful in providing all of the information we need to stay safe in South Africa. I would definitely recommend this program for everyone who is looking for adventures of all sorts!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
One thing I would change is getting to really know the CIEE staff sooner because they are so amazing and helpful, even if you just want to talk about life.
Julia

Life changing experience!

I loved my time in Cape Town with CIEE! I spent a semester studying at UCT. The classes were challenging but I learned a lot. UCT is one of the best ranked universities in Africa, and is known worldwide. The CIEE staff in Cape Town were so helpful and kind, they supported us from beginning to end and I made some great connections with them. Additionally, the staff were extremely helpful in providing all of the information we need to stay safe in South Africa. Cape Town is beautiful and had so much to do. You have a city, mountains and the beach all in one! I came to South Africa alone, without knowing anyone here, and left with lifelong friends who were also on this program. I would definitely recommend this program for someone who is looking to get out of their comfort zone!

Victoria

More Than Just Academics

I studied with the CIEE Open Campus Program in Cape Town for six weeks, along with two other locations. Cape Town was by far my favorite. The faculty and staff are so kind and helpful every step of the way. The locals and fellow students are friendly and outgoing. The food is amazing. Cape Town has something for everyone: city life, mountains, beaches, arts, sports, adventure and shopping. The coursework is rigorous, yet extremely rewarding. Studying with CIEE in Cape Town helped me grow academically, professionally, and personally.

Mariah

The Cape Town Connection.

Studying abroad in Cape Town through the CIEE program was without question the best life experience I have had to date. I walked out of the Cape Town Airport knowing not a single person in the country, and left with a heart full of fondness for the country, memories with the many students I came to call best friends, and an eagerness to return to the home that Cape Town became for me.

The most profound aspects and impacts of this experience, for me, emerged in the connections I made with other people. First and foremost, the students in my program truly became a family. Upon our arrival, my apartment complex, Rondebosch Court, became filled with American students just as wifi-deprived, homesick, and scared as I was. After only a week of orientation and bonding activities, we each turned into confident, excited, and supportive individuals who each came to recognize the extraordinary experience we were going to share with one another in the 5 months to follow. I walked out of Rondebosch court for the last time on June 11, followed by a teary group of people (strangers as of January), who came to see me off. Out of the many "unexpecteds" of this study abroad experience, I would say that the profound and deep connections I made with the students in my program, the staff in my program, and the students at UCT by far surprised me the most. The "Cape Town Connection", as I would call it, has lasted beyond the end of the trip. I have taken so many fond memories of the country and lasting friendships into the next chapter of my life and I could not be more thankful for that.

Brian

Superb Experience

Studying abroad with CIEE in Cape Town was incredible. The city itself is a beautiful, vibrant city always buzzing with things to do, places to go, things to see or try. It was also a very interesting and difficult time to be in Cape Town amidst the recent sociopolitical unrest especially amongst students, but even that was a very perspective broadening experience. My fun and happy adventures were balanced and challenged by times of times of critical self-reflection both in and out of the classroom which allowed for a richer educational experience than what I believe I would have received elsewhere.
CIEE as a program did a great job supporting me socially, by planning several dinners, outings and excursions for the students. They also effectively coordinated community service trips, cultural events and homestay weekends which added to my time in Cape Town by getting me plugged into the local scene. This was also facilitated by a fantastic RA staff.

Perhaps by having better academic support from CIEE staff as sometimes adjusting to the educational climate of such a large university with different teaching styles can be hard. Maybe having a staff member that does more than oversee the logistics of academics but can actually help struggling students.
Chelsea

a MUST for anyone interested in Studying Abroad!

I cannot recommend this program more!! The 5 months I spent in Cape Town with CIEE were absolutely incredible and life changing. I was able to explore an amazing country with the support of a well trained staff and expand my academic capacity while studying at the University of Cape Town. This country is truly unlike any other and CIEE strives to demonstrate and highlight its unique characteristics through various programs and opportunities. Specifically, their integration of Resident Assistants throughout the different housing spaces were not only a way for us to have a source of reliable information and aide in times of need, but also a great way for us to interact directly with local residents. I fell ill during my experience, but CIEE individuals were alongside me every step of the process, from taking me to doctor's appointments to helping me fill out insurance forms. In the words of many of the individuals who spent time studying in Cape Town, there is simply no better program to do it with!

More emphasis on understanding the region's history prior to arrival.