• South Africa
    • Cape Town
African Studies Anthropology Arts Business Engineering Film History Language Studies Liberal Arts Literature Marine Biology Music Public Health +3

Program Details

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance. There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive, and scholarships opportunities are available!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Classes Some Meals Travel Insurance
Jan 20, 2022
Sep 14, 2022
4 travelers are looking at this program

With a glorious climate and natural draws like Table Mountain and stunning beaches, it’s no wonder Cape Town is Africa’s number-one tourist destination. Day and night, this multicultural city offers much to do: water sports, mountaineering, nightclubs, and restaurants. As a microcosm of many African countries in transition, Cape Town also illuminates the issues of joining the global economy while grappling with vast socioeconomic inequalities born from its colonial and apartheid heritage.

Program Highlights

• CIEE Cape Town is located in the Rondebosch district, near the University of Cape Town campus.
  • Day and night, this multicultural city offers much to do: water sports, mountaineering, nightclubs, and restaurants.
  • Receive more than you give by participating in an Impact Project in a local community or giving your time on a weekly basis by tutoring students, working with health and medical organizations.
  • Depending on their program of study and availability, students may be able to volunteer or participate in an internship.
  • Do Cape Town on your own terms by customizing your experience through the Open Campus program. Take one, two, or three six-week blocks, select your academic track from six options, then choose your courses from a wide range of subject areas.

Popular Programs

CIEE Cape Town Summer Programs

Cape Town is Africa’s most popular destination for many reasons, starting with its glorious climate and natural attractions.Earn credits in Cape Town this summer exploring South African literature and film; the history of protests and social movements; and the historical, political, and economic transitions of South Africa.

CIEE Cape Town Summer Programs

Cape Town serves as a commercial and industrial entry point to Africa and houses regional headquarters for many companies, nonprofits, and NGOs. Take your arts and sciences studies a step further with study abroad in Cape Town exploring the wonders of nature while learning about South African society.

CIEE Cape Town January Programs

Earn credits in Cape Town this January and witness the incredible changes taking place in this vibrant country. January in Cape Town features the course, From Rhodes to Mandela and from Apartheid to AIDS.

Cape Town landmark

With CIEE's Open Campus Block Programs, you can design your very own study abroad program to include up to three different locations for 6, 12 or 18 weeks.

Stay in one city the entire time or spend other blocks at our other Open Campus Block locations in Berlin, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Copenhagen, Dublin, Kyoto, London, Madrid, Monteverde, Paris, Rome, Shanghai, Singapore, or Sydney.

CIEE

CIEE Scholarships and Grants

CIEE’s need-based grants offer support to students who face financial barriers to studying abroad. CIEE awards need-based grants based on students’ EFCs and program selection. The Gilman Go Global Grant offers students $750-$2,000 toward airfare, plus $2,500 toward semester program costs, or $1,000 toward summer program costs.

$500 - $2,500

• 9-10 rating 78.26%
  • 7-8 rating 17.39%
  • 3-4 rating 4.35%
Rebecca

Best Abroad Experience

Open Campus Blocks in Cape Town were amazing because there was a great mix of educational experiences and fun everyday. I only had class Monday and Wednesday but I learned so much and it truly opened my eyes to how ignorant I was to other cultures. All the CIEE planned events were a blast like surfing, cooking, hiking and more. We were able to travel on our own and see animals on a safari, bungee jump, swim and go on boats. The weather is amazing and beach weather everyday. The Campus Key Rosebank housing was clean and cultivated a community. Our program would hang out on our balcony every night and we go very close. The conversion rate is inexpensive, allowing us to do any activity we wanted because everything was so cheap. With mountains, beaches and a city you can never get bored!

Pros
  • Educational, opens your eyes to another countries history
  • Outdoorsy: beaches, hikes
  • Cheap
Cons
  • Classes do not follow syllabus, different from US
  • Lots oof homeless people, can be dangerous
Keiarra

CIEE Open Campus Block Cape Town, South Africa

My study abroad experiences exceeded my expectations as each day I was able to continuously push myself outside of my comfort zone. Cape Town is known as the mother city and when I landed I was able to take in its breathtaking beauty and received welcomeness from many of the locals I encountered along the way. From attending classes to learn about the impact of apartheid in the country to going into the local community for Sunday lunch each conversation and interaction I had was enriching to my continuation of growing my intercultural competence. I was constantly able to gain knowledge about the country's historical background and engage in cultural traditions as I got to familiarize myself with the local community throughout my entire duration. With engagement in the local community, I continue to value the experiences and opportunities I got to have during my time abroad and continue to educate myself to value the rich history of Cape Town.

I have included a poem I wrote after my study abroad experience.

You’ll Always Have My Heart
Thank you Cape Town, South Africa CIEE
And thank you to me
For leaving my fears behind to travel to the mother city
Cape Town South Africa where the city and mountain coexist
And the eye can't resist
The moment my toes touched the grainy sand
I knew immediately that I was in the motherland
Where every cultural experience felt so natural to me
Is South Africa where I am meant to be
The locals no matter how short of the interaction say South Africa is where I belong
It makes me question when I go back to the states whether everything will feel so wrong
Cape Town has allowed me to grow into the person I always wanted to be
The woman whose spirit is allowed to be free
You see home for me can be anywhere where love and respect are always present
I dream of the spaces I enter and immediately feel content
For me, home is where you feel connected
In this study aboard journey thousands of miles away from family I feel collected
To know I will always have my family's support
Makes it easier to go to the next destination to learn about a new culture and gain a stamp on my passport
So to Cape Town thank you
For showing me home is anywhere I feel value

Giavonna

Open Campus Spring Semester in Cape Town!!

CIEE Open Campus program allowed me to spend a life changing 6 weeks in Cape Town. With the night life, mountains, city, and the beach all within a mile of each other, this location had endless things to do. Classes were not overwhelming and instructors/ program coordinators organized outside environment trips, which really helped us students learn about Cape Town on a deeper level. I took two STEM classes online that counted towards my biology major and public health minor. Although it was online, my class had other CIEE students in different locations around the world, so I was able to hear so many different perspectives. Hearing about the in person class experiences, other students had life changing discussions that changed the way people viewed life. CIEE housed Open Campus students with Arts & Sciences students and also students that were going to the nearby university UCT. As a student oriented neighborhood, groceries, restaurants, cafes are all walkable and provides a perfect opportunity to be able to immerse yourself in the culture. Cape Town gets a bad rep for crime, but everyone is really friendly. Just like every other new location of travel, being smart and aware of your surrounds is all you need to do. Cape Town with CIEE is a hidden gem that I am so happy I found and I hope to reveal its wonders to everyone!

Pros
  • hiking
  • beaches
  • friendly people
Cons
  • petty crime
  • having to drive everywhere
1 person found this review helpful.
Ben

Cape Town 2022!

I have absolutely loved my time here in Cape Town. CIEE has been awesome in providing us with amazing opportunities to see the city and succeed in our academics. I have made great friends here and will cherish these memories for a lifetime. UCT is challenging but manageable if you budget your time wisely. There is so much to do here you will never get bored. I personally have loved the hiking, surfing, soccer, and diving. If you are adventurous, love the outdoors, and willing to take a risk Cape Town is the place for you.

Pros
  • Surfing
  • Hiking
  • Diving
Cons
  • Pickpocketing
  • No car
Grace

Semester Study in Cape Town

Cape Town is by far one of the most magical places I have been. Studying here for a semester was one of the best decisions I have made. Doing the program through CIEE made the process so much smoother as they found housing for me and worked with UCT and my home university to facilitate the semester abroad. I would recommend everyone come to Cape Town if they get the chance! The nature is unmatched, and there are so many cool places to explore in the city. UCT classes were definitely challenging, but I was still able to spend a lot of my time going around the city and experiencing all Cape Town has to offer.

Pros
  • Beautiful Nature
  • People are very nice
  • So many fun activities to do
Cons
  • Not the safest city
  • Laundry in building was unreliable
  • UCT classes can be difficult
Annika

absolutely amazing

Cape town is the most amazing city and I got an extremely unique experience through enrolling in UCT, meeting local students, and learning about south african culture. The nature and beauty is unreal and the weather in the spring was absolutely amazing. The academics at UCT were somewhat challenging, but it kinda depends bc on what classes you take. We were able to take weekend trips to different cities and countries in Africa, but there was plenty to do in cape town over the weekends. The food is unreal and extremely affordable, so are ubers around

Pros
  • nature
  • cultural immersion
  • cheap conversion rate
Cons
  • academics are different
  • safety difficult sometimes
  • staff not super supportive
Jack

Jack’s lekker review

Ciee’s professionalism and support system made Cape Town feel like a second home for me, and was a major contributor to the amazing time I had studying abroad. This experience was life changing and I feel like everything I did opened my mind to different perspectives and viewpoints on everything from politics to daily life, giving me an insight I feel many people miss out on while traveling to other parts of the world. I would recommend this trip to anyone who has a passion for opening their horizons, thrill seeking, or wants to just step out of there normal cycle of life.

Pros
  • The weather
  • The endless number of things to do
  • The people
Cons
  • The petty crime
Sage

CIEE Arts and Sciences

South Africa is an insanely beautiful country with so much to offer and I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to live here for 5 months. Besides the interesting and engaging courses that the University of Cape Town offers, there are so many activities in and around Cape Town that make everyday something to look forward to. The cool hikes, beautiful beaches, great food, fun nightlife, and the amazing people I have met have all made this trip an unforgettable one. I would recommend this trip to anyone and everyone!

Pros
  • Beautiful landscapes
  • Endless Activities
  • Engaging Classes