Study Abroad in Stellenbosch, South Africa: Global Service Learning: Summer

At the top of Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa
Bungy jumping from the worlds highest bungy bridge!
Kayamandi Township in Stellenbosch, South Africa
Study in South Africa with AIFS
Study in South Africa with AIFS
AIFS South Africa

Spend the summer in Stellenbosch with AIFS. Earn 8 credits through the Global Service Learning Program at Stellenbosch University. You'll take Introduction to South Africa's Political History for 2 credits and Global Service Learning for 6 credits. Courses are taught in English.

This program develops your understanding of the historical background and current issues impacting community life and in South Africa, in addition to giving you firsthand experience working on a service learning project within the local community.

Live in double rooms in the university residence hall. You will receive breakfast daily in your residence hall, as well as welcome and farewell meals hosted by the University.

Cultural and social activities include:
• Wine or beer craft tastings
• Hiking
• Visits to Cape Town and Table Mountain, the Cape of Good Hope and Robben Island
• 3-day West Coast excursion.
An optional, 6-day Garden Route excursion is also available to AIFS students.

• Earn 8 credits and transcript issued by Stellenbosch University
  • Visits to Cape Town, the Cape of Good Hope, and Robben Island
  • Optional 6-day Garden Route tour
  • Gain firsthand experience working on a service learning project in the local community
  • 3-day West Coast excursion

AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants & Financial Support

We believe a study abroad experience is an essential component of well-rounded university education and we are committed to providing financial assistance to as many students as possible in support of their goal to study abroad.

$500 - $5,000

Kendra

AIFS Service Learning South Africa

This was my first time that I had ever gone abroad. So, like everyone else, I will say that it was the best experience I've ever had. AIFS did great with supplying you with whatever you needed. The support that they gave to the students was wonderful, and they were always there to answer any questions you might have. Stellenbosch is a BEAUTIFUL area. Everything that you could want is packed into once place. Great food, beautiful scenery, night-life, shopping, hiking, and of course, wine. The excursions and most of the weekend trips are included in your AIFS price, which I was grateful for, because I didn't have to make those plans on my own.

The Service Learning program was a great cultural experience. You learn things that will stay with you for longer than your program length. However, when I participated in this program it was a bit unorganized. We volunteered with an organization in a township in Stellenbosch, and communication between us and them was a challenge, because we didn't seem to be on the same page. I hope that AIFS has worked out a deal with a different organization so the students can get the most out of their program, and so they can participate in community engagement that involves learning on both sides.

Bring nice clothes for going out, but also bring clothes to go hiking in, because you don't want to miss out on seeing the views from above. The people are amazing, the culture is exquisite and colorful, and the history is rich. South Africa has a special place in my heart, and AIFS was a great choice for my first adventure abroad.

I recommend that AIFS reconsiders the organization that they are paired with for the Service Learning Program. There are so many different types of service learning and community engagement projects that could provide students with experience (professional, learning, cultural, etc.) and also provide the organization with experience.