SIT South Africa: Community Health & Social Policy

After climbing a mountain in Inzinga, one of the rural homestay locations.
The view from the backyard of my homestay house in Cato Manor.
Me and one of the other students with our homestay sister in one of the rural homestay locations. Our homestay Mama dressed us up in her traditional Zulu clothing before we went to church.
SIT Students in Durban, South Africa
SIT Students in Durban, South Africa
Cato Manor, South Africa
Cato Manor, South Africa
Study Abroad with SIT in South Africa!
Study Abroad with SIT in South Africa!

Examine community-based health concerns from a South African perspective, exploring the roles of the South African state, the media, and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) and engaging with existing assets on a community level.

This program focuses on topics such as the relationship between traditional healing and state-of-the-art medicine, prenatal care, access to healthcare, and health education. Students consider how various health paradigms — ranging from biomedical to holistic — and health policies have achieved mixed results in addressing the healthcare needs of the South African people.

Please visit our website for more information by clicking on "Visit Site" above!

Erica

Gets you out of your comfort zone for a once in a lifetime experience

This program is for people who want to get out of this comfort zone and truly learn about and live like the Zulu people of South Africa right outside of Durban. This is not a program for people who want to go abroad as a vacation, but who want to change their perspective on the world by learning about and engaging with a totally new culture! this program definitely changed my future path in life. South Africa is one of the most unequal countries in the world and you get to experience first-hand the inequalities when you are living in the black township Cato Manor right next to large informal settlements (shacks) and a large fancy mall with designer stores. This program also allows you to learn first hand about community health issues through visits to schools, hospitals, community health clinics and more. My favorite part of the program was the independent study period during which I was able to live and volunteer at an orphanage and observe the occupational therapy services provided to the children created a system of inclusive education. That was definitely an experience I could never easily have again.

The program tries to plan as much as possible but sometimes things don't go as according to plan. You need to be easy going and have an open mind so that you aren't stressed out when plans are changed.
Abbey

SIT South Africa Review

My experience with SIT is invaluable to me! The semester was full of interesting studies, diverse excursions, and unforgettable memories. I interned with an organization that provided social services to refugees in Downtown Durban and met some of my dearest friends from living in our homestays. Overall, I would describe the semester in three words - Challenging, Encouraging, and Exciting.

Alex

SIT South Africa - once in a lifetime

SIT South Africa Community Health program is an incredible and unique way to experience a new country without just being a "tourist". Throughout my semester, SIT challenged me to understand the issues facing SA from a structural viewpoint, instead of as an outsider. I wish I could go back!

BJM

Study Abroad

SIT is an excellent study abroad program, and the program in Durban is no different! Offers a great homestay program, interesting excursions, and the opportunity to do field work and research.